Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

Default Captain America #22 - Review & Spoilers

CAP #22 - The Brube & Perkins - Out Today . . .

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

So . . . this issue is Agent 13 chatting with a SHIELD psychiatrist in the wake of CIVIL WAR #1. She's torn between her natural loathing for superheroes and her love for Cap. There's a nice sequence where you think she's betrayed him, only for it turn out that she purposefully told SHIELD the wrong spot for an ambush. It's a really nicely choreographed scene.

Anywho, the psychiatrist turns out to be a blast from the past . . . Dr. Faustus! And he supposedly manipulated Sharon into falling for Cap! And he's working for the Red Skull/Lukin!

All around, a great issue. Perkins does a superb job.

On the "Civil War" front, not much happens. It's mostly about SHIELD's perspective in light of the attack on Cap, with Ed doing some spin control to keep characters like Sharon and Dum-Dum from seeming like total assholes. And I love Skull's line about the heroes "forgetting who their real enemy is."
    Expletive Deleted

Poor Cap..
    Slayven ftw.

"Looksky! Birdplane!"

This issue showed me at least like maybe some of the SHIELD agents may actually care. And also like Red Skull said there forgetting who the real enemy is. Good job by Brubaker.

Child of Light Harold of the Rocks's Avatar

Talking

Just finished this book. Dr. Faustus? No Way! I only have maybe 4 old Cap issues before Brubaker, and this is taking me back to the whole Faustus/Grand Director craziness! Too cool. Anyone want to be so kind as to flesh out "what he's been up to"? What were some of his last appearances? When and how did he die?

Red Skull is pulling some serious strings if he can get Sharon to be required to sit down with a S.H.I.E.L.D. appointed shrink, only to be Faustus incognito! Ya gotta love Brubaker... now if he brings back Arnim Zola and my boy Primus, I may have to undergo a sex change... just so I can have his baby!! And I thought the kid's braces were gonna be expensive!

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

I think he was killed by Jack Monroe (Nomad) in his solo series. Not sure about the exact issue number, though.
    Expletive Deleted

I was reading this issue while i was at the book store. The art attracted me (a fan of D'Armata's coloring). Very soulful. I'm a Cap fan, but i haven't really read anything of his. I know the jist of things, but that's it. So i was pleasantly surprised at how good this issue was.

I gotta join teh crowd of Red Skull lovers. That really was a great line he said. The saddest part is that it's true. After the heroes finish demolishing each other, the super villians are going to take over.

...........either that or Tony will commision them for the pro-side.

I think this is how Brubker's Cap tie-ins are supposed to work. With the first issue devoted to Sharon, the 2nd devoted to Bucky and the 3rd devoted to Cap. I guess somebody at Marvel thought Bucky was interesting enough he could get another tie-in to CW.

Brubaker was pushing his story forward a little but clearly not on the level that X-Factor was during their tie-in issues. The reference to New Avengers #21 was interesting enough.

Curious about that Red Skull plot but that's definitely put on the back-burner for a bit.
    The monster saved them all. And in their fear, they betrayed him. As they always have. As they always will.

My Facebook page

Mmmm, betrayal sex.

Although the real gimmick here, that I don't believe anyone has mentioned yet, is that Faustus was the guy who led to Sharon's "death."
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc
    Curious about that Red Skull plot but that's definitely put on the back-burner for a bit.
    Skip out on the last page there? This is Johan's plot.

Speaking of which, was it me, or was the mask not fitting on Skull's face properly? In case Brubaker stops by, was that intentional, or just something with the art or the coloring? Because it looked like it wasn't coming down all the way over the lower jaw.
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

Quote Originally Posted by StoneGold
    Skip out on the last page there? This is Johan's plot.
    No, I read the last page. What I meant was that the Skull plot will be moving a little slower now as CW takes focus.
    The monster saved them all. And in their fear, they betrayed him. As they always have. As they always will.

My Facebook page

I liked the story. I like how Agent 13 can't decide to turn him in to the capekillers or turn with him. You almost know that the Civil War is going to tear them apart.:(
    Red Skull is another villain on the loose probably to attack in Civil War 5 like the rest.

I think this is probably one of the best tie-ins so far. Not alot of people really end up looking like complete douchebags. Which is good, because neither side SHOULD be wrong, it should just be a difference of opinions. And it actually kinda touches a bit more of a human side of it all with Agent 13's story. Good job Brubaker, good job.

I believe this was the best spin-off of CW I have read so far.
    I think the reason for this is that I didnt have to read a long diatribe by Cap as to why he joined the Anti-side and why he has done the things he has done while leading them (Honestly I dont even think Brubaker knows!).
    My only complaint was the last pages, where it was revealed that the psych guy was Faustas...it seemed a bit corny to me.
    Still..it was an enjoyable read and that is something I havent written about any of the spin-offs so far.

So does this mean that the romantic relationship between Captain America and Sharon Carter is a false relationship ? :(

Cause if that's true then the Skull is even more evil than I could imagine if he is to create a false romantic relationship.

I was pleasantly surprised by that - the preview (whether by chance or, the cynic in me wonders, deliberately) implied a much less balanced, thoughtful portrayal of the characters than was the case. Far from disliking what I saw of Agent 13 in the preview, I'm not more intrigued by her than by Cap. And thank the goddess that someone else is interested in looking at Maria Hill as a more complex character than an Evil Bitch Queen From Hell stereotype.

My only issue - a minor one - was that the debate between 13 and Cap fell too quickly and easily into the 'duelling quotes' formula, which doesn't really prove anything for either side. There's plenty of pithy one-liners in support of either freedom or security - I want to hear Cap's reasoning for why this situation demands rebellion, not how many comparable situations he can draw from the history books.

Regardless of that, the book has got me on-side in the space of one issue, which ain't at all bad. I won't be sticking with it post-CW - I'm a heroines-only reader - but I imagine a lot of people picking up Civil War will read this, for more info on one of the major characters of the miniseries, and this is a good shot at getting them to keep buying.