Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

I'd agree with that. Better to see it first in the real Hellboy comics.

Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    Concluded, which won't be for years.

'46-'48 is Secret Origins Trilogy. We won't know the plans until after '48 is collected in trade, so chances are we won't get any information until at least 2014.
    That's what I figured. I know the big two are moving to HC then TPB. The Secret Origins Trilogy I can wait on since I've waited this long anyway, might as well have it match my BPRD HCs. I was quietly hoping Hell on Earth would come out as Omnibus like War of Frogs as it goes along. Thanks.

Hey Middenway,

Are you up for a few more reading order questions?

#1) The BPRD short "Born Again" was published in the second BPRD hardcover just before "The Dead", in your list you seem to leave that where it is.
    Personally i would place it before the Plague of Frogs mini series as it seems a bit out of place being between Plague of Frogs and before The Dead.

#2) Why do you have short "The Mole" after Darkness calls if in the Library Edition it is used as a prologue to darkness calls?

#3) Here is a left field question, When would you suggest someone watch the movies if they are going through all the comics? I think the first film came out around the time if Hellboy the Island, and the second film around darkness calls, but im not sure...

#4) What do you think about moving Abe Sapien The Abyssal Plain from its current spot, to just before BPRD Hell on Earth Russia? When i first read Russia i needed to go back to the abyssal plain to look up that guy iosif. One thing to consider though is that the BPRD Agent Salvator shows up first in Abyssal Plain and then in Devil does not Jest .... but i dont think that moving Abyssal plain has any impact on that character... unless im forgetting something.

Looking forward to you, or anyone else's thoughts
    Last edited by Jelio; 02-02-2013 at 05:00 PM. Reason: added question #4

1. What would make you say that? Those stories are in chronological order. Born Again happened between those two stories.
    2. The Mole spoils the ending of Darkness Calls. I prefer not to know Harry Middleton is dead until the first epilogue.
    3. Oh dear, you're not going to like my answer to this one. I'd say never. Never is the best time to watch the movies. I'm not a fan. I've seen the films exactly once and that was enough for me. Hopefully someone else has an answer for this question.
    4. I like The Abyssal Plain to have some distance from Russia, because Russia includes a refresher sequence reminding you about the story. The other thing is, I like keeping the sequence in Abe Sapien 2, as you get to see Abe growing as an agent, especially in terms of trusting his own instincts and gaining confidence. I also like the way my current order has minimal flashback interruptions to Hell on Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    Hopefully someone else has an answer for this question.
    For me that would be a canon-or-not-thing: the movies and the comics have nothing to do with eachother, just like the Weird Tales comics or the crossovers or the Odd Job stories have no bearing storywise. Not because they'd not be preferable or any such, but simply because their stories don't connect with the comics. The movies are GDT saying: whatever you'd be knowing of Hellboy or the BPRD now let me tell you about Hellboy, from my story's point of view.
    The Weird Tales both as the Odd Jobs specifically do the same thing, because any of those are outside people taking a crack, people specifically other than mr Mike.

However 'Hellboy: the Lost Army' both as 'Hellboy: the Bones of Giants' do connect with the overall narrative, which is why they are canon and they could be part to some or any reading order together with the comics.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 02-03-2013 at 04:02 AM.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

The Mole spoils the ending of Darkness Calls. I prefer not to know Harry Middleton is dead until the first epilogue.
    For me there'd be some point during 'The Island' as of which I start expecting things to happen, like based on the meet with Mochlomi, both as what the important dead dude had to say: Hellboy had been drinking with skeletons. Unexhumed corpses speak to him, with a Sadu Hem monster thing appearing even.
    So Mochlomi's words start ringing through I'd feel, or as a reader I'm aware Hellboy is going to be facing weirder stuff until he'd get to sorting some stuff out.
    Since 'Darkness Calls' would be the next episode within all that, within Hellboy sorting stuff out and within Hellboy as being to face weirder stuff, I never take Harry Middleton being dead as some or any surprise. Or either the cardplayers in the Mole: for any pop-to-reality scene with cobwebs and characters depicted as consumed corpses: that means they'd not be among the living. They might not even be ghostly apparitions really, but more rather they'd be wanting something from Hellboy, so Hellboy is seeing them. Plus Hellboy's a demon or at least not just anyone obviously.

And frankly I would not believe that either Kate or Liz or Abe would ever consider it weird or surprising for Hellboy to be in contact with dead people or with witches and any creatures of the dark. They would know Hellboy to be.

However, the thing would be that at least Kate would herself be not in contact with corpses or spirits or creatures of the dark, like ordinary people wouldn't be, not as how Hellboy would be.
    Which seems also significant for a person like Alice.
    Because Alice was like an infant becoming a victim of a faerie kidnapping during a BPRD-case, she grows up as being someone "touched by faeries", which would be why she herself would be seeing things, weird faerie type of stuff at least, as well as being to grasp well how Hellboy would be seeing things or be needing to sort out weird stuff. Abe or Liz would also be seeing things specific to their person, but they'd be needing to sort their stuff out the same as Hellboy would.

I guess, or actually I feel pretty certain I have always taken Hellboy to potentially being a keeper-of-the-dead type of guy or at least an interpreter or intermediate between the mortal world and other realms.
    Since from the start, so either at reading Seed or the Corpse or really any story at any point. Because he's been that during any stories. The early ones or either any stories being to follow.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 02-03-2013 at 04:19 AM.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

1. What would make you say that? Those stories are in chronological order. Born Again happened between those two stories.
    2. The Mole spoils the ending of Darkness Calls. I prefer not to know Harry Middleton is dead until the first epilogue.
    3. Oh dear, you're not going to like my answer to this one. I'd say never. Never is the best time to watch the movies. I'm not a fan. I've seen the films exactly once and that was enough for me. Hopefully someone else has an answer for this question.
    4. I like The Abyssal Plain to have some distance from Russia, because Russia includes a refresher sequence reminding you about the story. The other thing is, I like keeping the sequence in Abe Sapien 2, as you get to see Abe growing as an agent, especially in terms of trusting his own instincts and gaining confidence. I also like the way my current order has minimal flashback interruptions to Hell on Earth.
    re:
    1. I guess i didnt realize the original Born again was in proper order. My issue with it was that to me it hurts the narrative flow between Plague of Frogs and The Dead. At the end of plague of frogs there Abe is injured and he just learned information about his past that he immediately investigates in The Dead. Born again is just a short that kind of ignores the events that just took place in the Plague of Frogs and has no lead into The Dead. To me its an orphaned story that fits best before Plague of Frogs ... but im open to leaving it where it is.
    2. Right right, i forgot that Hellboys location/existence was mysterious and that finding our he was living with a dead man was a reveal. I adopt your reading order in this case.
    3. Too bad you didnt like the films.
    4. I see your point about Abes growth, but im not convinced just yet ... i will think about it next time i flip through BPRD Hell on Earth Russia

1. I like your point about this story. I think I'll swap it around.
    3. I really wanted to like them.

Updated the digital comics section and added an extra bit for Out-of-Continuity Stories on the Digital Store. I've almost certainly missed a few of these, since I don't really read them myself. If there's anymore on there, let me know.

Default May 2013 solicitiations

ABE SAPIEN: DARK AND TERRIBLE #2 (of 3)
    Written by: Mike Mignola and Scott Allie
    Art by: Sebastian Fiumara
    Colours by: Dave Stewart
    Cover by: Sebastián Fiumara
    Variant Cover by: Max Fiumara

On sale May 1, 2013

Abe Sapien battles his way through terrible Ogdru Hem and human monsters as the world comes crashing down around him, on his quest to reveal his own role in the end of the world.
    • Sebastián Fiumara (Loki, Mystery in Space) joins the Mignolaverse.

B.P.R.D. HELL ON EARTH #107: WASTELAND — PART 1 (of 3)
    Written by: Mike Mignola and John Arcudi
    Art by: Laurence Campbell
    Cover by: Dave Johnson

On sale May 15, 2013

Johann leads a B.P.R.D. team on a rescue mission in Chicago to locate the group of agents lost in B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth: The Abyss of Time. What they find is a devastated city, full of giant Ogdru Hem, and a flood of humans transformed into monsters.
    • Art by Laurence Campbell (Marvel Universe vs. Wolverine, Punisher MAX)
    • Cover by Dave Johnson (100 Bullets)
    • Cowritten by Mike Mignola!
    It’s as good a time as any to check in with a series that started as a Hellboy spin-off but has become a force in its own right.” —Comic Book Resources

LOBSTER JOHNSON: SATAN SMELLS A RAT
    Art and Colours by: Kevin Nowlan
    Cover by: Kevin Nowlan

On sale May 22, 2013

• The artist of Hellboy: Buster Oakley Gets His Wish returns for two-gun vengeance!
    Someone is killing off skid row bums and dumping their corpses. The only one who can deliver justice is Hellboy’s favorite gun-blazing vigilante.
    This series continues to prove why Mike Mignola is one of the best creative forces in comic books and should be a must read for anyone.” —Technorati

B.P.R.D.: VAMPIRE #3 (of 5)
    Written by: Mike Mignola and Fábio Moon & Gabriel Bá
    Art by: Fábio Moon & Gabriel Bá
    Cover by: Fábio Moon

On sale May 29, 2013

A nobleman vampire’s life is spared after a horrific bargain made with the evil goddess Hecate, and now the bloodthirsty Simon Anders will put that deadly deal to rest.
    • A direct sequel to the critically acclaimed B.P.R.D.: 1948!
    • From the Eisner Award-winning creators of Daytripper—Gabriel Bá and Fábio Moon!

B.P.R.D. HELL ON EARTH ― VOLUME 5: THE PICKENS COUNTY HORROR AND OTHERS
    Art by: Jason Latour, Max Fiumara, James Harren, Becky Cloonan
    Cover by: Mike Mignola

On sale July 24, 2013

The B.P.R.D. crew investigates the site of a hundred-year-old magical ritual and Hellboy breaks into the secret library of a dead necromancer. Collects The Pickens County Horror #1-2, The Transformation of J. H. O’Donnell, and The Abyss of Time parts 1 and 2.
    Last edited by Middenway; 02-11-2013 at 11:23 PM.

Aside from January, every month this year so far has got 4 books coming out. The sheer volume of stories coming out at the moment is staggering.

In the latest Hellmail in B.P.R.D.: 1948 #5, Scott Allie mentioned that following Abe Sapien: Dark and Terrible will be a two-issue story by John Arcudi with art by Max Fiumara. This is a story John Arcudi's been wanting to write for a while, but been unable to do in the regular B.P.R.D. line, so it should be really cool.

After that there will be a brief break then a story by Scott Allie with art by Sebastian Fiumara which will be set in Phoenix. I think it's a two issue story, but I don't know for certain. Look for more news about Abe Sapien in the coming month....

Default June Solicitations

ABE SAPIEN #3: DARK AND TERRIBLE — PART 3 (of 3)
    Art by: Sebastian Fiumara
    Cover by: Sebastian Fiumara

On sale June 5, 2013

A town cut off from the world by rampaging monsters must decide if the strange fishman in their midst signals salvation, or the end of days.
    • Sebastián Fiumara (Loki, Mystery in Space) joins the Mignolaverse.
    “Fiumara’s art is gorgeous.” —Comic Book Resources

B.P.R.D. HELL ON EARTH #108: WASTELAND — PART 2 (of 3)
    Art by: Laurence Campbell
    Cover by: Dave Johnson

On sale June 19, 2013

A spreading contagion in the Chicago wastelands turns the residents of the Windy City into vicious monsters. Will these creatures and the giant bat-faced monsters stop the B.P.R.D. from saving their missing agents?
    • Cowritten by Mike Mignola, with art by Laurence Campbell (Marvel Universe vs. Wolverine, Punisher MAX)!
    “It’s as good a time as any to check in with a series that started as a Hellboy spin-off but has become a force in its own right.” —Comic Book Resources

BALTIMORE: THE INQUISITOR
    Written by: Mike Mignola and Christopher Golden
    Art by: Ben Stenbeck
    Cover by: Ben Stenbeck

On sale June 19, 2013

The sadistic Judge Duvic, who we’ve seen serving God’s vengeance on women and children, nearly has Lord Baltimore in his grasp, but first he has to face Baltimore’s last few friends in this doomed, war-torn world.
    “These Baltimore miniseries . . . have provided us with the type of genuine Gothic horror that we crave . . . This is a great read.” —Complex

B.P.R.D.: VAMPIRE #4 (of 5)
    Written by: Mike Mignola and Fábio Moon & Gabriel Bá
    Art by: Fábio Moon & Gabriel Bá
    Cover by: Fábio Moon

On sale June 26, 2013

Plagued with two vampires trapped inside his chest, Simon Anders struggles to keep them under control before they can throw him into a bloodbath with an army of witches.
    • A direct sequel to the critically acclaimed B.P.R.D.: 1948!
    • From the Eisner Award–winning creators of Daytripper — Gabriel Bá and Fábio Moon!

B.P.R.D. HELL ON EARTH ― VOLUME 6: THE RETURN OF THE MASTER
    Art by: Tyler Crook
    Cover by: Mike Mignola

On sale August 27, 2013

A rogue scientist who escaped the bloody massacre in B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth: Russia assembles a paranormal cult bent on world destruction. Can an elite B.P.R.D. task force hunt down the mad Russian’s stronghold in time, or will monsters overwhelm a world already teetering on the edge of apocalypse? Collects B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth: The Return of the Master #1–#5.
    • Featuring art by Ryan Sook and Eisner Winner Tyler Crook!
    Last edited by Middenway; 03-12-2013 at 11:11 PM.

Where was this preview posted?

It was an exclusive preview from Bleeding Cool. Full solicitations haven't been posted yet.