Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Where The Hell Am I - Jan 19, 2011

Responding to a controversial quote from "Black Swan" director Darren Aronofsky, Jason provides some solid advice for screenwriters looking to bring their scripts to comics with a ten-point checklist of things to look out for.

Full article here.

But Superheroes are EVERYWHERE. They sell long distance Phone services, Radio Shack products, etc.

Its like when Hollywood discovered westerns, or cop shows. Buckle you seat-belts cause Supa heroes have gone mainstream. And with that comes a degree of selling out, or quick money scams.

In a way it legitimizes the Industry. At the same time it hurts it, because quite frankly I dont think the Industry is ready to protect itself from being exploited. Or more to the point, ready to exploit the opportunities movie and TV..attention can provide.

How is it, that superheroes are the flavor of the month but sales of the actual books are declining. It doesn't make sense.

Someone will shellout $12 to see Spiderman or Watchmen in the movies or $59 to play them on Video Games but wont spend $4 for a book they get to hold onto with their hands--and reread whenever they like. Where they can say..hey I knew about character_________- before the movie ( like Harry Potter)

And I agree with you. Jason. There should be some honest to GOD sincerity in making comics. But I have to say the industry should learn from the Hollywood invaders on how to market and extend their products to the widest audience possible. Not trying to be a douche.

And I think SCALPED would make one heck of a good movie. I dont need to warn you that its vicious out there. And if you arent careful your life's work can be stolen from you with a stroke of a pen. I lost my train of thought. Anyways, I love your work..and column.
    My webcomic Updated weekly
    My BlogSTORM/Black Panther Sabotage
    BEBOP--"Roland = pinnacle of objectivity"