Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Default It seems this book is under the radar

but it shouldn't be. I'm surprised each week, and love where it is heading, we get just enough each week to me coming back for more.
    TomStewDevine - I say yes to Comics.

A Comic Book Look: Our Weekly TV Show on Comics

How cool is this? Two issues a month.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/sdcc...ly-110722.html

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    How cool is this? Two issues a month.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/sdcc...ly-110722.html
    Very exciting news!!! Such a treat to get 2 issues a month. I do hope this doesn't cause any problems quality wise.

The lava is plan B. BeastieRunner's Avatar

That's really cool. I can't wait! It's going to be a great birth month!

"Thus Spake Dr. Dinosaur, King of Time: Adios Morons!" -- Dr. Dinosaur

Default Unwritten #28

What a fantastic issue. This series is touching on the deep reality that is the fiction of comic books.
    The connection of Jews creating Messiah Myths to the early comic creators is a theme I have seen before, but not in a comic. While the characters delve into what is real, we readers have to discern where reality stops and fiction begins in the book. But of course it's all fiction. Except these people are very real to us, as are all out comic heroes, as are the mythological figures of Moses and Jesus (yeah, I said it). So what is real? And isn't the power of the story greater than reality?
    When the writers of mainstream superheroes continually spiral into larger and larger overblown stories, forgetting what it is that makes the characters great, a book like this revitalizes my love of the medium.

Default MTV Mike Carey (The Unwritten) Interview

http://geek-news.mtv.com/2011/02/11/...avorite-books/

Pretty good interview. A few spoilers though, if you (like me) have only read as far as the available trades. He talks a bit about the series, inspirational books, etc.

Why I don't tradewait: It's an interview from Feb. and apparently still has spoilers in it. Also Carey has done a damn fine job of pacing it monthly.

Well, I feel like the 4th trade was delayed, it's certainly taking its time coming out. If I had started reading the single issues I'd probably continue, but I got into the series late through the trades, and it doesn't make sense to me to get three trades then hunt for single issues, I know I'd just end up getting the 4th trade later anyway.

I want to start reading this but I wish they'd come out with a deluxe edition of the trades (like Fables). I really don't like softcovers.

Quote Originally Posted by skylight View Post
    I want to start reading this but I wish they'd come out with a deluxe edition of the trades (like Fables). I really don't like softcovers.
    Ah, the eternal Catch 22 of comic readerdom: they won't start making hardcovers unless the trades sell enough copies to warrant it. (As in, popularity is high enough that hardcovers would sell.)

Shrug.

Doesn't Want To See That! coconutphone's Avatar

Trade-waiting here too. Don't mind. Plenty to read in the mean time and it's fun reading them in a big bundle.
    Schmitty's Evil Twin.

Quote Originally Posted by skylight View Post
    I don't know if they will be releasing hardcovers, but for what it's worth, I don't know if I could recommend the series highly enough. It is absolutely my favorite series at the moment.

Not comics, it's Vertigo. noh-varr's Avatar

You know, while this arc started off strong, and I really loved the discussion about comics being the modern mythology in the last issue, I am not really feeling this arc as a whole. I am hoping after next issue it will read better together, but right now, this has to be the first arc of Unwritten I haven't been purely loving on. It could just be my general reading disposition though, which happens. Am I alone in this feeling? Or are others not feeling this arc?

Quote Originally Posted by noh-varr View Post
    You know, while this arc started off strong, and I really loved the discussion about comics being the modern mythology in the last issue, I am not really feeling this arc as a whole. I am hoping after next issue it will read better together, but right now, this has to be the first arc of Unwritten I haven't been purely loving on. It could just be my general reading disposition though, which happens. Am I alone in this feeling? Or are others not feeling this arc?
    I am actually enjoying this arc more than "Leviathan", which I felt went on a little too long. We have the true power of the comics and the usurping of the creators by the publishers, the reason Wilson left the cabal and created Tommy, some very cool retro pages...What's not to love?

Every time a new issue hits, I read it and then feel like I should've reread the entire run up until that point before tackling the said latest issue.