Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Issue #22 is out

And *spoilers* we have met THE WHALE, the source of magic that . *end spoilers*, the source of Tom Taylor and his father's powers. And Baron f'n Münchhausen!

Tom's adventures are about to go off the map!!
    When criminals want to scare one another they tell each other Joker stories.

The lava is plan B. BeastieRunner's Avatar

Question

Should we maybe just make a MEGA thread? That way people can drop in and out whenever.
    "Thus Spake Dr. Dinosaur, King of Time: Adios Morons!" -- Dr. Dinosaur

government's watching you matt levin's Avatar
    western Massachusetts, USA; rural, river valley

I dropped this after about 10 issues, I'd guess, and only now and then (Mr. Bun!) picked it up. Have done so again with the most recent two issues of the Moby Dick segment, and enjoyed these.

I dropped it because it seemed to be going nowhere back then, when tom was looking for his dad (have had too much of 'Luke, I'se yer papa'); thinking of picking up the second & third(?) trades. Recommendations?
    Walking Man Comics

Age/Bronze-A.S.Westrn-AstroCity-Amelia-CourtneyC.-Brody'sGhost-DD-Dial H-Fables-Fatale-Fell-Goon-Groo-Hellboy-Mudman-NextWave-Rocketeer-StarDrop-Thief-Usagi-Wolff/Byrd-Unwritten

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    Recommendations?
    Other than YES you should pick them up?

There is another Mr. Bun issue coming up btw.

BANNED

What is there to say? well i'm not as well read as i would like to be.
    and im always afraid this book is going to lose me in it's obsessive literacy, but so far i like that i get the gist of these stories of course most of them so far have featured classic stories that everyone knows so this helps a lot.

I like the art looks like something you would find in a novel instead of a comic book which really adds to the story i think.

Quote Originally Posted by pariah-1972 View Post
    and im always afraid this book is going to lose me in it's obsessive literacy, but so far i like that i get the gist of these stories of course most of them so far have featured classic stories that everyone knows so this helps a lot...
    Yeah I think you've hit it right on the head here. Having a grasp on the themes of these classic works seems sufficient. I'm not sure I've read a single work that has been alluded to -- well, I did read plenty of "Choose your own adventure" as a kid -- and I've had no problem.

And someone should start an official discussion thread for this book...
    Print buying: Vertigo and other "mainstream alternative" fare. Digital buying: classic DC, current Image, Boom!, Monkeybrain, etc.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gaudium View Post
    Yeah I think you've hit it right on the head here. Having a grasp on the themes of these classic works seems sufficient. I'm not sure I've read a single work that has been alluded to -- well, I did read plenty of "Choose your own adventure" as a kid -- and I've had no problem.

OMG I loved those books !!!!!!!

Can I just do it or does a moderator have to do that? I'm not sure on the etiquette.

Not comics, it's Vertigo. noh-varr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Can I just do it or does a moderator have to do that? I'm not sure on the etiquette.
    Either would have worked, but to simplify things (and since we have been discussing the series in general) just changed the title of this thread to accommodate.

Now as to the last issue, I did learn something new, I never knew Sinbad was swallowed by a whale during Arabian Nights. Now who were all the characters at the end? I think it was Sinbad, Jonah, Pinocchio, and Geppeto by the fire, but not 100% sure they would have both Pinocchio alongside his father or just use a different story or not.

I also wonder how far in the future the scene the puppetmaster showed really is, will we see that in the next year or will that be closer to the end?
    Noh-Varr Reviews: The Silence of Our Friends by Mark Long, Jim Demonakos, and Nate Powell.

Quote Originally Posted by noh-varr View Post
    Now who were all the characters at the end? I think it was Sinbad, Jonah, Pinocchio, and Geppeto by the fire, but not 100% sure they would have both Pinocchio alongside his father or just use a different story or not.
    Was that Geppetto then? Wasn't sure on that one character. This thread has spurred me to re-read the series from the beginning, btw.
    Print buying: Vertigo and other "mainstream alternative" fare. Digital buying: classic DC, current Image, Boom!, Monkeybrain, etc.

Not comics, it's Vertigo. noh-varr's Avatar

Was that Geppetto then? Wasn't sure on that one character. This thread has spurred me to re-read the series from the beginning, btw.
    I am only guessing Geppetto, he was swallowed by the whale that got Pinocchio too. Plus he is the only other character I can think of who was eaten by a whale, but I didn't know Sinbad had been eaten so what do I know? :D

Glad the thread got you to re-read the series, it has done its job.
    Noh-Varr Reviews: The Silence of Our Friends by Mark Long, Jim Demonakos, and Nate Powell.

I am only guessing Geppetto, he was swallowed by the whale that got Pinocchio too. Plus he is the only other character I can think of who was eaten by a whale, but I didn't know Sinbad had been eaten so what do I know? :D

Glad the thread got you to re-read the series, it has done its job.
    Speaking of whales, I'm currently caught up with apparent historical inaccuracies (re: dates of his travels and order of written works) about Rudyard Kipling's life in #5, How the Whale Became. Also, we've got a whale on the cover of #4. Forgive me if this is all fresh in others' memories...

Edit: On further thought, #5 seems like an important issue for the series, considering the repetition of whale imagery and the whale-as-source-of-power theme. Carey definitely played fast and loose with the details of Kipling's life (though at least one date given must be a typo, as it made no sense given the timeline of the issue), but it's just nitpicky details in the grand scheme of things.
    Last edited by gaudium; 02-15-2011 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Expanded on earlier post

My first guess was Jonah (from the Bible and/or the Qur'an). Geppetto makes more since though because of the whole puppet master plot. He could become an ally of Tom in order to free his friends.

Yes, i think it definitely is Jonah and Geppetto.

Default Not Geppetto

I think the guy with the hand accordian is the character from Kipling's
    "How The Whale Got It's Throat" as seen in #5 (which gaudium's post encouraged me to reread)

http://www.online-literature.com/poe/171/