Default Confused about ending of "Broken City" (SPOILERS)

I'm more than a little confused about the ending of Broken City, when Batman lets the traumatized little kid shoot at him with an unloaded gun, after the Joker tells Batman about the "real murderer" of the kid's parents.

But was Batman the killer, or did the little boy shoot his own parents? Did Batman get the kids' parents killed in the crossfire when he was trying to catch Angel Lupo, or was the kid recreating the murder he himself had committed?

I am pretty sure that Angel Lupo was still the murderer, the gun was just a form of symbolic therapy or something I think

Quote Originally Posted by Theozilla View Post
    I am pretty sure that Angel Lupo was still the murderer, the gun was just a form of symbolic therapy or something I think
    That's what I figured too, otherwise I can't imagine how the Joker would or could have known that the kid murdered his own parents. I can easily see the Joker putting together the pieces when he'd heard about the killings, but how he would have guessed the kid was the killer would've been impossible to tell.

And to be quite honest, when I saw that kid kneeling with his dead parents, I thought Batman was having a flashback to the murderers of his own parents, and I thought that his looking in on the kid in the hospital was him reliving more of his memories.

So yeah...

I always assumed the kid killed his own parents, mostly because Joker was being so gloaty about it that I figured the truth had to be really hosed up. As to how he knew, I have no idea how he knew anything at all related to the case, since he was locked up in Arkham the whole story. I guess I put it off as some sort of mentally ill grape vine / Joker being supernaturally perceptive.

But I don't really know either.

The kid killed his own parents. Angel Lupo was innocent. Batman had it all wrong and that's why the Joker was gloating that fact to him. The reason is given when Bruce has that flashback, saying he wished his parents where dead. The kid from Broken City took it to that level alas.
    Behold, I shall be a blight upon the land, and everything I touch shall wither and die!

One of the Good Guys maniacmatt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blight View Post
    The kid killed his own parents. Angel Lupo was innocent. Batman had it all wrong and that's why the Joker was gloating that fact to him. The reason is given when Bruce has that flashback, saying he wished his parents where dead. The kid from Broken City took it to that level alas.
    That was my interpretation as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Blight View Post
    And mine. Kind of a confusing narrative though, I too mistook the scene at the end of the first issue for a flashback the first time I read it.

The kid killed his parents. Thats why throughout the story we kept seeing the flashbacks to when Bruces parents were killed. It was to parallel the two events.
    "John Stewart. LAME! ...this guy having a ring is like giving the batmobile to a blind old woman with her left leg in a cast."

"Pym biting Blobs head off seems like something that would have happened when i was ten years old and playing with action figures."

"i always assumed that [the blob] had the same powers as his 616 counterpart because, if simply being a huge fat guy was enough to be considered a mutant then there sure are a lot of mutants in 'real life'. "

Yeah, the kid killed his parents. The Joker was just able to put the pieces together from the information he was able to gather. He was taunting Batman because he knew Batman was too biased to see the truth of the situation. He knew he couldn't accept the idea that a child could or would kill his own parents.

Interesting. I always read it that Lupo killed the parents in desperation (he was running from Batman) and that Batman felt a measure of responsibility for that. That was why he let the kid "shoot" him at the end, as an act of penance on Batman's part and to give the kid a measure of revenge.

I'll have to re-read Broken City now.
    If you're not reading Lazarus you should be.