Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Where The Hell Am I - Jan 12, 2011

Jason tackles a less controversial topic this week, turning to the WHERE THE HELL AM I? mailbag to answer a reader question with tips on self-management for aspiring writers, especially those who are full-time parents.

Full article here.

I would love to read a children's appropriate story by you, Jason.

I picked up volumes 3 through 6 of Scalped to read while on vacation. I am looking forward to them. And my local shop ran out of Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine #4, but I will have it in my hand's soon enough.

Thank you for reiterating, "this is a job," for me. I've been putting myself in that mindset to take my writing more seriously. I'm balancing school, family, and extracurricular activities but I know if I want to progress in any direction, I need to put aside the time and take it seriously.

One of the Good Guys maniacmatt's Avatar

That last paragraph made me smile so big. And I like your advice about making it a job. I think that applies to everyone, parent or not, and I'm going to take it to heart.

R.I.P. Dwayne McDuffie Greg Anderson's Avatar

Very nice read. Thanks.
    Greg Anderson: Blackized Anti-Sterotypist!

Free Umbra!

Sweet column this week, Mister Aaron.

Jason Aaron writes Yo Gabba Gabba?
    Truly this is the best of all possible worlds!

I got my girlfriends niece, who's three, the first two releases of the YGG books for x-mas - decided I was going to turn her and her brother into life long comic fans* - and apparently the 'good night' one is the only book she wants read to her before bed time now!

*Brother is younger, so he got Superman and Batman soft toys.
    ADVERTISE HERE!

This was a very nice post.

I can see where a creator would want his children to be able to read his work and best of all to get the great review.

Great article again Jason that hits home even if you don't work in comics.

I have two thoughts on the "chase you passion" vs. "working a job" issue. Not really directed at you, but speaking to the ether... :)

One, is that it is why they call it "work". No one said it would be fun and something you love. I kinda think that your first responsibility to get as much money as possible and that almost never means doing what you love.

Two, it doesn't necessarily have to be a trade-off. Comics are really an entrepreneurial venture. Even once you get to the point you're at, you're still an entrepreneur in most ways. And the #1 rule of entrepreneurship is DO NOT QUIT YOUR DAY JOB. You use that day job to provide income while you stay up into the wee hours doing things related to your passion until you can make the switch.

I work with loads of entrepreneurs who fail because they neglect cash flow. That's the #1 thing in the early stages and a day job (even if you don't love it) provides that cash flow to get you over the hump.

Anyhow...
    Dean Stell
    I write a few reviews/week for:
    weeklycomicbookreview.com

My comic review blog (for whatever I don't get to review at WCBR):
    allthiscrap.blogspot.com

Default Age discrimination

I've done everything "right" in my life. I have a great job and very little financial worry. But in order to get this, I studied (not partied) through college. I worked and went to law school at night through my twenties and I've completely given up any dreams of being creative.

Now, I'm in my 30s, I have a time and mentally intensive job, a wife, a 2 year old and one on the way. If I have an hour or two at the end of the day I'm watching TV and unwinding. There's no way I can sit at a computer and work on my neglected Google docs. (You are soooo right about the free time. I had no idea what I had until it was gone - classic story theme, btw.)

My new plan is to wait until my children are grown and then switch to writing but I'll probably be in my late 40s. Do you think that is too late to start a new career in comics? Will my ideas be out of touch by that point? How much age discrimination do you perceive in the industry? Am I going to have a mid-life crisis?