Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: "Fables" Crew Gets a Super Hero Makeover

The latest "Fables" story arc bring capes and cowls to the denizens of Fabletown and today Vertigo Comics offered a preview of covers and interior art giving a glimpse into "Super Group."

Full article here.

Eh... Words fail me. Seriously?
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

I have a feeling this will be fine... but it has the potential to be very, very bad.

Sounds interesting. I also trust the Fables team to do something amazing with superheroes so im not worried. Cant wait to see what kind of heroes there are going to be and what the purpose really is as well as seeing more of Beauty and Beasts child.

Quote Originally Posted by Samorai_black View Post
    Sounds interesting. I also trust the Fables team to do something amazing with superheroes so im not worried.
    I recall a very average Shadowpact, a mediocre run on Robin, and a really crappy Batman crossover.
    Not too optimistically about Willingham on superheroes.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    I recall a very average Shadowpact, a mediocre run on Robin, and a really crappy Batman crossover.
    Not too optimistically about Willingham on superheroes.
    If you say so, never heard of or read anything you listed. Fables has not let me down since I started reading it sure I like stuff more then others but like I said I trust them to do something cool and interesting...just having a 'superhero" type in fables is interesting in its self.

They should use "The Six Men Who Went Far" as the Fabletown super-heroes. One was super-strong, one could run super-fast, one was an amazing marksman, one had super-breath and one could start a snowstorm by raising his hat. Oh, there was also their leader who was a regular soldier.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamYJ View Post
    They should use "The Six Men Who Went Far" as the Fabletown super-heroes. One was super-strong, one could run super-fast, one was an amazing marksman, one had super-breath and one could start a snowstorm by raising his hat. Oh, there was also their leader who was a regular soldier.
    That would be perfect. I didnt think of of this tale at all I was more in the line of superman and batman types. It fits with fables so well too. Great idea.

Is that the Chinese fable?

Not really something I'd expect but I'll check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by snarkbunny View Post
    Is that the Chinese fable?
    The one I'm thinking of is European. It's #71 in my copy of Grimm. "How Six Men got on in the World". I also encountered a Welsh "Gypsy" (I'm unsure if it's actually Romani, or just what they were calling the Travellers before PC-ness set in) version of it entitled "Frosty", in which the guy who raises his hat takes center stage in my copy of Folk Tales of the British Isles.

I should note that the first time I encountered the tale it was as a child watching this show.

The one I'm thinking of is European. It's #71 in my copy of Grimm. "How Six Men got on in the World". I also encountered a Welsh "Gypsy" (I'm unsure if it's actually Romani, or just what they were calling the Travellers before PC-ness set in) version of it entitled "Frosty", in which the guy who raises his hat takes center stage in my copy of Folk Tales of the British Isles.
    I first heard a similiar chinese tale called the 10 Brothers but I've read variations with 5 or 7 brothers as well.

My favourite version includes the brother that drank the ocean dry. :)

Quote Originally Posted by snarkbunny View Post
    I first heard a similiar chinese tale called the 10 Brothers but I've read variations with 5 or 7 brothers as well.

My favourite version includes the brother that drank the ocean dry. :)
    Never read that tale. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. It seems that tales like that pop up from time to time across many cultures.

Near as I can tell, Fables hasn't done anything with East Asian tales yet.

Yeah, as a reader since issue 17, I never saw this coming because it doesn't make sense. I hope to eat my words and be treated to an excellent story but after reading the other posts I have to agree with AdamYJ or snarkbunny. My wife and I have the seven Chinese brothers which I've read to my daughter, that would fit in perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyramid View Post
    Yeah, as a reader since issue 17, I never saw this coming because it doesn't make sense. I hope to eat my words and be treated to an excellent story but after reading the other posts I have to agree with AdamYJ or snarkbunny. My wife and I have the seven Chinese brothers which I've read to my daughter, that would fit in perfectly.
    It's playing off the comics that Blue, Pinocchio, and Fly were reading in Storybook Love. Also, I think there is likely to be more going on than just superheroes in the arc.