Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
  1. #1
    Mild-Mannered Reporter
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    28,845

    Default CBR: Lyons Unleashes Doomsday on "Steel"

    CBR News discussed "Steel" #1 with Steve Lyons, learning how the British sci-fi writer came to be involved in the mega "Reign of Doomsday" event and just what makes scripting the Kryptonian killer so damn fun.


    Full article here.

  2. #2

    Default

    Ugh, [spoilers]I really hope they didn't kill Steel.[/spoilers] I haven't read it, but that would just be terrible to me.

    Not because it's racist or whatever else, but because I think some really unique, compelling stories can be told with that character, and that character only (ie, that the stories I imagine only really work for him, out of any character in Marvel and DC).
    Last edited by Desaad; 01-05-2011 at 02:42 PM.

  3. #3

    Default

    Minority characters in the DCU just can't catch a break can they?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    832

    Default

    I read Steel over lunch and... Ummm the spoiler tags don't seem to be working so we'll do it the old fashioned way.

    SPOILERS
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    Steel pretty clearly isn't dead. After the big beatdown, Doomsday picks up his body and flies off. The issue was basically one big fight scene, and a pretty good one. It didn't measure up to the throw down with Super-Lex in 52, though.
    Last edited by Roland Gunner; 01-05-2011 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Can't get the spoiler tags to work.

  5. #5
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,179

    Default

    Steel is one of the best characters out there. He has so much going for him. He's iconic, based on the folk hero John Henry. He's tougher than 99.9% of the other heroes out there.

    He's like Superman in that everything you love about humanity is there in him. The hard working man that cares more about his fellow man than himself. The ingenuity and willpower that allow him to make himself Justice League level powerful.

    He lost almost everyone that ever meant anything to him, he's made mistakes, but does he stand around whining about it? He does not. He goes after those who did it. He changes his genius from destructive power to constructive power, using the Steel/Iron Works.

    He takes so much negativity in his life and makes it positive.

    He's quite possibly the one of the top ten coolest characters ever created, and easily the best of the 90's.

  6. #6
    Elder Member CMBMOOL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    14,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo_Tomasi View Post
    Minority characters in the DCU just can't catch a break can they?
    Marvel has it worse, but at least there they showed that they care.

  7. #7
    Elder Member CMBMOOL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    14,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flash's Lightning View Post
    Steel is one of the best characters out there. He has so much going for him. He's iconic, based on the folk hero John Henry. He's tougher than 99.9% of the other heroes out there.

    He's like Superman in that everything you love about humanity is there in him. The hard working man that cares more about his fellow man than himself. The ingenuity and willpower that allow him to make himself Justice League level powerful.

    He lost almost everyone that ever meant anything to him, he's made mistakes, but does he stand around whining about it? He does not. He goes after those who did it. He changes his genius from destructive power to constructive power, using the Steel/Iron Works.

    He takes so much negativity in his life and makes it positive.

    He's quite possibly the one of the top ten coolest characters ever created, and easily the best of the 90's.
    HE was also protrayed as Shaq in that live action Movie.

  8. #8
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CMBMOOL View Post
    HE was also protrayed as Shaq in that live action Movie.
    Yeah, well, Superman had a pretty bad movie too, but it's probably best to pretend neither one exists...

  9. #9

    Default

    So Iron Man WHOOPS sorry, Steel (ahem) takes on Doomsday and it lasts at least (by the preview) four pages.

    No. The way Doomsday used to be was this.

    STOMP STOMP *squilch* STOMP STOMP

    That 'squilch' that was Doomsday not noticing he'd trodden on Steel.

  10. #10

    Default

    I think the real potential of Steel has never been realized, and it's always made me sad.

    Here's a character that, his own mission statement is to be TRANSFORMATIVE, to change the world around him through intelligence and sheer force of will, to make the world a truly better place.

    He shouldn't be slugging it out with Doomsday, or smashing Queen Bee with his hammer. Or at least, that isn't what "Steel" stories should be about.

    He should be using his vast intellectual and technological resources to make a real difference in the world around him. Something similar to what Tony Stark is doing in Fraction's "Iron Man" series, but less capitalist and more geared towards the poor, the downtrodden.

    I see him very much as "The Engineer" from the Ellis Stormwatch story "Change or Die". He'd say "give the people all the basic resources they need. Give them free access to medicine, to clothing, to shelter, to food. And let them become what they can become. Let them fulfill their true potential, free of all the things pulling them down".

    I hope we get a Steel story like that out of this.

  11. #11
    Elder Member Free-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    27,275

    Default

    The reviewer at Newsarama summed it up how I feel.

    There's just no sense of drama. The entire story has everyone including Steel saying that there's no way Steel can beat Doomdsday. And surprise surprise, Doomsday flattens him.

    It's just...pathetic in a way. The entire issue is just Steel doubting himself and completely failing to do any damage to Doomsday, and he is ultimately pummeled into submission and captured. This wasn't an epic last stand. It was a slaughter.

  12. #12
    Not comics, it's Vertigo. noh-varr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,566

    Default

    Well I really worried this whole one shot would just be the death of Steel, so screw you DCU for killing a great character for a crossover that won't matter come a month or two after it is released.

    I was really hoping this would lead to new Steel stories, he is so awesome (both his own series and his stint in the JLA). Part Superman, part Iron Man, and a little bit of Reed Richards (at least while in the JLA). This is why I don't like character deaths in mainstream super hero books, his death does nothing, and he will just be brought back later on, and in the mean time we will likely get Natasha regress back to being Steel II.
    Noh-Varr Reviews: The Silence of Our Friends by Mark Long, Jim Demonakos, and Nate Powell.

  13. #13
    Elder Member BrotherUnitNo_4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    MARYLAND
    Posts
    13,139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Free-Man View Post
    The reviewer at Newsarama summed it up how I feel.

    There's just no sense of drama. The entire story has everyone including Steel saying that there's no way Steel can beat Doomdsday. And surprise surprise, Doomsday flattens him.

    It's just...pathetic in a way. The entire issue is just Steel doubting himself and completely failing to do any damage to Doomsday, and he is ultimately pummeled into submission and captured. This wasn't an epic last stand. It was a slaughter.
    I haven't read the story, but what're the odds of those nanobytes playing a part down the line?

    I mean it'd be a waste if they didn't affect Doomsday in some way.

  14. #14
    Senior Member bongoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Somewhere...
    Posts
    1,984

    Default

    Spoilers...


    Clearly Steel isn't dead. It's obvious Doomsday wasn't just trying to kill him, other wise he would've left the body there. As much as DC may do stupid things sometimes, they're not stupid enough to kill Steel.
    Pull List: Action Comics, Green Lantern, GLC, GL: New Guardians, Justice League, The Flash, Batman Inc, Batman, Nightwing, Batman & Robin, Dial H, Animal Man, Frankenstien, Earth-2

  15. #15
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    18,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bongoes View Post
    Spoilers...


    Clearly Steel isn't dead. It's obvious Doomsday wasn't just trying to kill him, other wise he would've left the body there. As much as DC may do stupid things sometimes, they're not stupid enough to kill Steel.
    I disagree I could totally see DC kill Steel, but even I did not think that they had the balls to kill him in his own one shot. Still why does it take Supes until part 5, World's Finest to react. Doomsday tears through Metropolis, then owns the Outsiders, Pwns the whole justoce league, and then dominates Connor in Smallville. What does Clark not have access to tvs, radios, or newspapers.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •