Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Revisit CBR's Top 100 Comics Of 2010

As 2011 gets ready to take over the talk of the comics business, CBR News places its top 100 comics of last year together to crunch the numbers on the big critical winners of 2010 and prepare for what's next.

Full article here.

I decided to compare the complete list to stuff I actually read.

7. Love And Rockets: The New Stories - I am currently reading Love And Rockets, but not the current series. I am on issue #5 of volume 1 right now and the series so far is absolutely blowing me away. I had high expectations and they were not only exceeded, they were drop kicked and curb stomped. It's something I always wanted to read but never got around to. When I was a kid the comic shop owner wouldn't sell it to me. Now I'm tracking them down as I can. I decided I would rather read the magazines than the trades because of the way the trades are collected. I do have the New Stories on my pull list but have yet to receive an issue.

11. Morning Glories - I have been a pull list subscriber since issue one, but I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan like I am of Love And Rockets. It's good enough to keep me reading the next issue.

13. Chew - I read my first issue of Chew this year through the Image Firsts. I thought it was pretty cool, but it didn't inspire me to catch up in trades or add it to my pull list. I imagine it's every bit as good as Morning Glories, if not better, but since I'm already behind and the pull list has limited space I'm not likely to catch up. So many other things out there.

18. The Walking Dead - I have been reading along for about a year now. I love the series, even more so after being a little let down with the TV show. The comic is just so much more awesome when compared side by side with it to me.

20. Stumptown - I am probably the biggest fan of this series. It got a lot of hype for issue one but from what I have read online nobody seemed to appreciate everything about the series as much as I did. I can't wait for the next installment.

40. Blacksad - I am blown away by this series too. It's great to get my Euro comics fix now and then. I wish it was available in a cheaper format though, but as far as entertainment value goes, it's worth the price. This is one of my very favorite comics of the year.

75. Freak Angels - I should go ahead and buy the first volume. I have read through the first several chapters and thought it was damn good, I just don't like reading in front of the computer.

76. The Stuff Of Legend - I don't know what I expected with this series, but it didn't have whatever I was looking for. It wasn't bad, but after the first two issues I quit reading it.

84. Usagi Yojimbo - One of my all time favorites. I have been a fan since the 80's, and the series has been consistently excellent the entire time. My favorite comic book purchase of 2010 is the deluxe slipcase hardcover Usagi collection.

That's it as far as comics I have been reading along with this year. Comics I have been meaning to read are:
    Acme Novelty Library
    Scalped
    Fables
    Hellblazer
    Joe The Barbarian
    Axe Cop
    RASL
    Prison Pit
    The Muppet Show
    The Last Days Of American Crime
    Drinking At The Movies

And of course the list has turned me on to a handful more that I would like to try out. If I will or not I can't really say, but hopefully I get around to it.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

A good 2010 comic not featured in the list:

Jonah Hex: No Way Back

Ahhh come on guys, I've read some of those comics and Flash and Bightest Day cannot possibly be ahead of things like S.H.I.E.L.D. or Action Comics.

Flash has been a dissapointment, just the last issue (#8) made me think that there is still hope. And Brightest Day is just "ok". Obviously, that's just my opinion.

fanboi from HeroesNHunks

HATED Grant Morrison's Bat stories. I found them strange and impossible to follow - made no sense.

CotM Member

Quote Originally Posted by heroesnhunks View Post
    HATED Grant Morrison's Bat stories. I found them strange and impossible to follow - made no sense.
    That doesn't mean they're not good.

I find the assertion that Grant Morrison's Batman is strange and impossible to follow strange and impossible to follow.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

CotM Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    I find the assertion that Grant Morrison's Batman is strange and impossible to follow strange and impossible to follow.
    Well, it's an entirely subjective assertion, so as long as you add the phrase "... for that one guy" to the end of the sentence, it's fine.

For everyone else, they were pretty straightforward and easy to parse.

The thing about a criticism like "strange and impossible to follow" is that it says more about the critic than the content.

Avengers,New Avengers,Punisher and Daredevil are missing from the Top 100 comics of 2010.

And to see Amazing Spider-Man just ranked at 77 still is strange.
    Last year was nominated the best Marvel comic book by CBR and this year Wizard nominated A.S.M. as the best comic book.
    And yet just gets the 77 place this year by CBR.
    Pull List:New Avengers,Thor,Superior Spider-Man,Mighty Avengers,Swamp Thing,Daredevil,Uncanny Avengers,Superior Foes of Spider-Man.