Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 100
  1. #31
    Elder Member jesse_custer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    20,646

    Default

    Ursula K. Le Guin sounds like a moron.

  2. #32
    CBR Dark Tourny Master Robotech Master's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    On an Abh Battleship, somewhere in the Aptic System
    Posts
    5,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    Ursula K. Le Guin sounds like a moron.
    She's a pretty damn good writer and has commited several seminal works to Science Fiction and Fantasy, as well as outside genre fiction (though I'm not familiar with her works there). She also loved many of Miyazaki's films; just because she thinks he should have stayed retired after finishing Spirited Away--a sentiment shared by a number of people--doesn't make her a moron.
    "It's your parting gift. In that it will part you; part of you over here, part of you over there, part of you way over there, staining the wall!" Lord Shen

  3. #33
    Elder Member jesse_custer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    20,646

    Default

    Well, I think it's moronic to say that a great director who still makes good films should retire, assuming she said such a silly thing.

  4. #34
    Elder Member Libaax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    10,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    Well, I think it's moronic to say that a great director who still makes good films should retire, assuming she said such a silly thing.
    Its silly to say a legendary SF writer is a moron without being sure what she said. I have read her negative views on the movie but not seen any remark about retirement.

    Earthsea thing is infamous in SFF circles. Its like Avatar the last Airbender movie situation. She made the series planning to create main characters of color that the animation changed to white. Plus Miyazaki senior came to her saying he would make the movie,promising and then giving it to his son afterwards.

    Understandable she felt cheated by him and his people.
    Last edited by Libaax; 01-04-2011 at 09:46 AM.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

  5. #35
    CBR Dark Tourny Master Robotech Master's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    On an Abh Battleship, somewhere in the Aptic System
    Posts
    5,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    Well, I think it's moronic to say that a great director who still makes good films should retire, assuming she said such a silly thing.
    Well, that's an opinion based on a series of other opinions. Le Guin is likely one of the many who are of the opinion that his hallmarks are his earlier works, Castle in the Sky, Kiki, Totoro, and maybe Nausica. People who loved those films but didn't as much love his later works would naturally wish that he retire with nothing but peak films under his belt; especially since he *did* retire, he simply rescinded that to make Hayao's, and she was dissapointed that he did that.

    Its silly to say a legendary SF writer is a moron without being sure what she said. I have read her negative views on the movie but not seen any remark about retirement.
    She said it, but it wasn't meant as some negative critical commentary and it wasn't in response to the Earthsea film, so you won't find it in articles about that. She was simply talking about the fact that, long ago, Hayao had asked her if he could do an Earthsea movie, and she refused for a long time, then when she thought about agreeing, he said he no longer could do it, so that's how it got passed on to Goro. Later, when someone brought up that Hayao was breaking away from his earlier announced retirement, she said she was dissapointed that he decided to do so.

    Keep in mind that she thinks Miyazaki is "A genius on the level of Kurosawa or Fillini." Her dissapointment probably largely stems from him leaving/retiring during the time that she was actually having talks with Ghibli and then returning spontaneously afterwards.
    Last edited by Robotech Master; 01-04-2011 at 09:50 AM.
    "It's your parting gift. In that it will part you; part of you over here, part of you over there, part of you way over there, staining the wall!" Lord Shen

  6. #36
    Elder Member jesse_custer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    20,646

    Default

    Spielberg doesn't make a masterpiece every time he directs a film. Scorsese hasn't made anything as significant as Raging Bull. And one could say Kurosawa's later output doesn't compare to his earlier stuff.

    But I would be stupid to wish that any of those filmmakers had retired at whatever arbitrary point I determine. A body of work is just that: a lot of work. And one has no idea what great film might come about from such talent.

    Quite frankly, we need less negative bullshit pertaining to great directors.

    Now, if one wants to argue that Miyazaki was never great and thus should never make films, that's different. But for Christ sake, show a little respect.

    Quote Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
    She said it, but it wasn't meant as some negative critical commentary and it wasn't in response to the Earthsea film, so you won't find it in articles about that. She was simply talking about the fact that, long ago, Hayao had asked her if he could do an Earthsea movie, and she refused for a long time, then when she thought about agreeing, he said he no longer could do it, so that's how it got passed on to Goro. Later, when someone brought up that Hayao was breaking away from his earlier announced retirement, she said she was dissapointed that he decided to do so.

    Keep in mind that she thinks Miyazaki is "A genius on the level of Kurosawa or Fillini."
    Well, you did a poor job of representing her words a few posts back.

  7. #37
    CBR Dark Tourny Master Robotech Master's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    On an Abh Battleship, somewhere in the Aptic System
    Posts
    5,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    Well, you did a poor job of representing her words a few posts back.
    Well I apologize. Its been 5 years so I had to go back to look up the verbatim.
    "It's your parting gift. In that it will part you; part of you over here, part of you over there, part of you way over there, staining the wall!" Lord Shen

  8. #38
    Elder Member jesse_custer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    20,646

    Default

    To be fair, Libaax has a point about my silliness. I should have looked up the quote in question anyway.

  9. #39
    CBR Dark Tourny Master Robotech Master's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    On an Abh Battleship, somewhere in the Aptic System
    Posts
    5,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    To be fair, Libaax has a point about my silliness. I should have looked up the quote in question anyway.
    My original read of it also came from a magazine or article of some kind where her quotes were pasted here and there. I just now looked up the original source of the quotes, which is like a fricken essay--seriously, she wrote like 10 paragraphs about her experience with Studio Ghibli.

    Anyways, it seems most of her dissapointment with his coming out of retirement had to do with the fact that he retired while in the middle of negotiations with Ghibli and that both he and her were dissapointed that it would be handled by someone else, and without even his supervision. Then he unexpectedly returns after Tales was completed, so that probably felt like a slap to the face from chance.
    "It's your parting gift. In that it will part you; part of you over here, part of you over there, part of you way over there, staining the wall!" Lord Shen

  10. #40
    The Could-Have-Been King Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Land of Lagom.
    Posts
    32,032

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    I didn't feel like there was much of a build-up at all with Ponyo. It was a very simple, unpretentious, kooky movie.
    Sure it was, in hindsight, but that's my point. I had the impression I was dealing with a slightly more serious story then I was, you know, what with reality coming undone and the natural laws being on the verge of collapsing towards the end.

    I dunno, I just expected that to be a rather bigger deal then it turned out to be.

    Oh, and there's Ponyo's dad, who's hatred of humanity was never explained and never properly resolved. In the end he just seems to have mostly gotten over it for no apparent reason, as if it wasn't such a big deal after all.

    What I saying is, it seemed to me as if the movie had this big conflict going on when in reality there wasn't much of a conflict at all and everything just kinda worked out on its own. Struck me as a slightly anticlimatic.
    Last edited by Ghost; 01-04-2011 at 12:21 PM.
    "This doesn't look easy. But I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson

    "Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck

  11. #41
    The Could-Have-Been King Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Land of Lagom.
    Posts
    32,032

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Libaax View Post
    Plus Miyazaki senior came to her saying he would make the movie,promising and then giving it to his son afterwards.
    I was under the impression that Hayao wanted to make the movie for the longest time, but when he finally got the chance he was busy making Howl's Moving Castle. So instead the studio gave it to Goro, whom Hayao didn't consider up to the job, hence why the two didn't talk much around that time.
    "This doesn't look easy. But I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson

    "Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck

  12. #42
    CBR Dark Tourny Master Robotech Master's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    On an Abh Battleship, somewhere in the Aptic System
    Posts
    5,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    I was under the impression that Hayao wanted to make the movie for the longest time, but when he finally got the chance he was busy making Howl's Moving Castle. So instead the studio gave it to Goro, whom Hayao didn't consider up to the job, hence why the two didn't talk much around that time.
    More or less, though I think he was still in retirement and was only agreeing to produce stuff. Le Guin wanted him to produce the movie, but he was scheduled to produce Howl's. Then the director of Howl's backed out or something and Miyazaki decided to come out of retirement to direct it after that. I believe that's how it went down.
    "It's your parting gift. In that it will part you; part of you over here, part of you over there, part of you way over there, staining the wall!" Lord Shen

  13. #43
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    27,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Sure it was, in hindsight, but that's my point. I had the impression I was dealing with a slightly more serious story then I was, you know, what with reality coming undone and the natural laws being on the verge of collapsing towards the end.

    I dunno, I just expected that to be a rather bigger deal then it turned out to be.

    Oh, and there's Ponyo's dad, who's hatred of humanity was never explained and never properly resolved. In the end he just seems to have mostly gotten over it for no apparent reason, as if it wasn't such a big deal after all.

    What I saying is, it seemed to me as if the movie had this big conflict going on when in reality there wasn't much of a conflict at all and everything just kinda worked out on its own. Struck me as a slightly anticlimatic.
    I'll agree with this.

    There's an awful lot in Ponyo that's left unsaid or unexplained.

    It manages to tell kind of an epic story through a very small lens, which is an impressive achievement but also feels a bit weird in places.

    Don't get me wrong, I loved Ponyo as a film, but it is a bit anticlimactic.
    Nik Hasta: "I'm not a ninja dammit!"

    Respect the Mamudo Children!
    Follow me on Tumblr!

  14. #44
    Old School Rumbler yeoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I'll agree with this.

    There's an awful lot in Ponyo that's left unsaid or unexplained.

    It manages to tell kind of an epic story through a very small lens, which is an impressive achievement but also feels a bit weird in places.

    Don't get me wrong, I loved Ponyo as a film, but it is a bit anticlimactic.
    I'd definately agree. It's not one of his better, but far from his worst. Course, his worst is still in the top 0.1% of movies ever made.
    "Until all are one."

  15. #45
    NEW VALIANT blog is up! Manga4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,695

    Default

    It's a toss up for me between Claymore and Naruto (original) as to which anime was my favorite between 2001-2010, I would also place the original FMA in there somewhere due to my love for the series and everything it did to help anime become even more popular, but I guess my pick would have to go to Naruto just because of the sheer ammount of time I put into watching it and the fun I had doing so. Claymore is a very close second, I've actually reviewd Claymore in my blog (link in signiture) and I would recommend this series to anyone looking for a great story and intense action, check it out and I'm sure you'll be happ that you did.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •