Page 42 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast

Thread: Superhero Toys

When out shopping for toys earlier this week I came across this figure, from the Star Wars Expanded Universe Range. Nom Anor, which reminds me quite a bit of Skeletor from He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, is a very unusual looking figure. Complete with accessories he also comes with a cape/cloak, which is at the back of the figure. I'd never seen this figure before, not surprising considering its a debut figure. The kid at the cash register looked at it carefully too while ringing up the sale and said the figure was cool.

Quote Originally Posted by zryson View Post
    When out shopping for toys earlier this week I came across this figure, from the Star Wars Expanded Universe Range. Nom Anor, which reminds me quite a bit of Skeletor from He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, is a very unusual looking figure. Complete with accessories he also comes with a cape/cloak, which is at the back of the figure. I'd never seen this figure before, not surprising considering its a debut figure. The kid at the cash register looked at it carefully too while ringing up the sale and said the figure was cool.

He looks like a Romulan from the last Star Trek movie...or a Reman from the movie before that.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

He does look very Romulan! Good call dupersuper

Looks like I will be visiting some toy stores later today. I'm hoping to find some cool Star Wars figures which have proved elusive so far. The problem with some of the figures is that they ship only one figure per box. So say a store gets 6 boxes in thats just 6 figures. The reason its so difficult to find certain figures is that when you factor in staff who might be interested, then only maybe half of that gets out onto the racks. Then there are the mega-collectors or ebay sellers who go store to store snapping up every single figure they can find (sometimes in quantities of 20 or more). The average person on the street has a hard time competing. Still chasing down certain figures is one of the thrills of collecting.

In big toy news, Hasbro via USAToday confirmed it will be releasing a 6-inch Black Series (referring to the packaging) starting from August of this year. The first wave of figures will include Luke Skywalker in X-Wing gear. The new Black Series is aimed at the adult collector, or older fan who grew up with the original trilogy and will provide more articulation and detailing than the smaller figures which have proved so popular with collectors/fans worldwide.

Had fun at a toy store late last week. I was shopping for Star Wars toys (as well as DC/Marvel superheroes but I didn’t find any of the latter which appealed to me). Standing next to me was a boy with his Dad. The boy was excitedly checking out the Star Wars toys as his father looked on. It was somewhat bittersweet in a way because my own father never showed much interest in me as a child. I certainly never visited any toy stores with him. But I thought it was so cool to see a dad encouraging his son. Showing an interest in his interests... Anyway, I ended up buying some new Star Wars figures to add to my small, but growing collection.
    Last edited by zryson; 02-05-2013 at 01:53 AM.

Was going through my toys yesterday and came across one of my fave figures - Battle-Cat from the Masters of the Universe vintage range. It comes with removable saddle/belt and helmet, and has held up beautifully over the years. I really like this toy and its solidy built too. Not too heavy but has a good weight to it. Also the design is nice.

Luvs Comics, Tells Lies! dr_cyclops's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superman19492002 View Post
    A friend knowing my interest in Superman got me this model a few years back. But mine is equipped with a special George Reeves head that he found somewhere. It’s 1 of my more prized possessions. I see no reason to stop collecting toys comics or anything else just because I'm supposedly an adult.

Superman19492002
    It could be the resculpt head. IIRC, Original Aurora molds were damaged in a train wreck. I think "Super Powers" and Revell reissues have a different head. They both lack the Superman name-plate on the base, due to changes made to the mold by Aurora's Comic Scene line. Don't believe a word of what is printed on the boxes of the Revell reissues. Superman, Batman and Robin, all have changes from their original Aurora designs. The heads being the most obvious.

Was going through my toys yesterday and came across one of my fave figures - Battle-Cat from the Masters of the Universe vintage range. It comes with removable saddle/belt and helmet, and has held up beautifully over the years. I really like this toy and its solidy built too. Not too heavy but has a good weight to it. Also the design is nice.

Heh. My Battle Cat had a hole in his back from the time my mom stepped on him.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

When it comes to my experiences, I was largely left alone to play with my toys in my bedroom. Most of my own interests were largely one-person contained (reading comics, playing with toys, visiting bookstores) anyway. I was thrilled to see my Masters of the Universe Battle-Cat has held up so well over the years. It was a bit dusty when I pulled it from the toy box but was easy to wipe down with a soft cloth. I also like that it has removable parts like the helmet and saddle with belt. This year promises to be a really good year for toy fans with the release of Star Wars The Black Series, Man of Steel, Iron Man 3 as well as the 1966 Batman tv series toyline (first wave) and other releases.

Was playing with my Mego Superman dolls last night and one of the things that remains faithful to my childhood days is me posing the dolls so they look like they are flying through the air. I really love that. I usually make a whoosh sound as Superman flies. I remember as a kid one of the boys told me if I really wanted to see Superman fly he would show me a new way of doing it and he ended up throwing the figure through the air. Needless to say I didnt let him play with my toys after that.

First there was the Toy Fair London 2013, and this past week there was Toy Fair New York 2013. To put it mildly, there are tons of cool superhero toys and others heading to stores this year from Mattel's Batman 1966 line which will feature Batman (Adam West), Robin (Burt Ward), as well as Riddler, and a Batmobile! Plus Barbie collectors will be overjoyed to know Barbie will be releasing Batman and Catwoman in 1960's costumes. If you remember how crazy it got when Barbie did Wonder Woman, the same is likely to occur with these since Barbie is hugely collectable. There is also a ton of Man Of Steel, Iron Man 3 and other Marvel and DC Superhero toys to be released this year. But one of the problems will be distribution as some toys have spotty distribution at best and other toys, like certain Star Wars figures, are limited to one figure per box.

Remember the Herculoids

Yikes, my cat just saw this picture, and now he wants a battle suit like this one. Lord knows what he's going to do with it.

Considering its importance in DC history, you would think DC Direct would have done a better job when it comes to their Crisis On Infinite Earths toyline. Last night I opened the Earth-2 Robin figure and was shocked at how badly the paint job on it is (which you can see from some of the photographs though some of the biggest faults arent seen). The R logo looks unfinished, there are specks of dirt seen in the paint job too (and this is from a figure freshly opened from the clam shell). The upside there is a stand (something many DC figures lack) and the figure stands easily on its own.

Considering its importance in DC history, you would think DC Direct would have done a better job when it comes to their Crisis On Infinite Earths toyline. Last night I opened the Earth-2 Robin figure and was shocked at how badly the paint job on it is (which you can see from some of the photographs though some of the biggest faults arent seen). The R logo looks unfinished, there are specks of dirt seen in the paint job too (and this is from a figure freshly opened from the clam shell). The upside there is a stand (something many DC figures lack) and the figure stands easily on its own.
    If memory serves, both the Earth-2 Robin and Supergirl figures from this series were recalled and new versions put out because of issues with the paintjobs. It looks like you found one of the earlier ones.
    One lab accident away from being a super-villain

thanks for the information Jolly Mon!