Page 38 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: Superhero Toys

When shopping for groceries earlier this week I noticed the rather good isle for toys. And naturally my eyes lighted up when I saw the superhero toys. Many of the other figures had already sold out but I saw this nice looking Luke Skywalker Hoth figure so grabbed it (the card is also unpunched which is more sought after by collectors apparently since most cards get punched when they are placed on the shelves). The downside of buying this figure was that I got so overtaken by the superhero toys that I forgot half the grocery items I came into the store to buy.

Visited two toy stores today hoping to buy some of the new 2012 star wars figures but could only find one of them, and as such it was beat up on the card so I didn't buy it. Talked with a guy about the new Superman movie 'Man of Steel' which is coming out in 2013. Hopefully they will release some cool toys for that movie because the range was mostly disappointing for Superman Returns.

Wonder Woman from the new 52 Justice League range has just been released. Many people are complaining about the lack of articulation in the figure, as well as the lack of a stand for the figure. The WW figure was initially advertised as coming with pants and a sword but they changed it to the shorts and have now included a lasso.

Speaking of DC Collectibles, I picked up both the Wonder Woman fig that zryson pictured above and the HUGE DC Collectibles Darkseid. He's around 13" tall and is heavy, solid plastic. My shop sold him to me for $75, but most places sell him for around $90. Expensive, but he's so massive that I think it's worth it. Looks great with the other CD Collectibles New 52 figs.

Hey Dave! Nice purchases. I'd like to own a few more of the 12/13 inch size figures but there just isn't much room for them here unfortunately. I only have a couple of large sized figures - 3 of Luke Skywalker 1978 figures (one of them in mint condition inside its original box, the 2nd figure comes with all accessories and the 3rd figure only the lightsaber). Also the large Green Lantern figure I posted a pic of a few pages back as well as a large Spider-Man and 2 different Superman figures. Most of the toys I purchase are the regular sized ones, like 3.75 inch Star Wars. I tend to put them in a cupboard, back to back to stand up as straight as possible.

Was at the local Wallyworld today doing a little holiday shopping, and they had moved their Young Justice line of figures into the clearance section, but for me they were still a little more than I wanted to pay. I was very tempted by the Flash Kid Flash and Martian Manhunter M'Gann two packs, but resisted the tempatation I did pick up a couple of packages of Heroclix they had on clearance though for my comic book tchotchke shelf and got a pretty cool Shang Chi figure in the second box, plus a few other characters I liked.

I picked up a very cool Spectre action figure from a dealer at a local con at the end of last month. It was a loose figure, and very inexpensive, so I am not sure which like it is from. I know it was not the Mages, Mystics, etc. line that had Spectre, Dr. Fate, etc. as I have those figures already, but it was from a later DC or DC Direct release.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Hi MRP, sounds like you had a nice experience. I'm considering buying some of the new DC Universe All-Stars figures (maybe Batman and Superman with the new 52 costumes) but every time I check the stores they don't have them. Last time I visited a toy store I asked them when they will be getting them but the response was kind of mute, they were like "do we normally get them in?" and I said yes, and they were like "Um, we don't know. Maybe next year!" I'm also hoping to buy some of the new release Star Wars figures in the 3.75 size but none of the stores have the figures I am looking for.

found this cool superhero promo when going through my toys earlier

Was playing with my Black Costume Spider-Man figure. It's not bad actually - the articulation is really good for a small figure. And it stands pretty easily on its own (despite not coming with a stand). I definitely prefer Spidey over Magneto (which was also in the 2-pack). The paint job is okay, could be better (you can see a few rough edges). Also there appears to be scrapes and scratches on the figure even though its brand new out of the packaging. So it definitely could have been put together better when being designed.

Last edited by zryson; 11-22-2012 at 10:02 PM.

If somebody had told me those many years ago I would buy a Hawkeye action figure, I would have said "That's not possible." Then I would have added, "Who is Hawkeye?" but having seen The Avengers I was really impressed by his cinematic appearance, so when I saw this figure selling cheap at a local supermarket I bought it since I do not have many Marvel superhero toys. It comes in a bright blister card, which is pleasing to the senses, and the figure looks pretty good too.

One thing I have noticed in recent years with superhero toys is the inclusion, or "addition" of muscles to the figures. Back when I was growing up, the figures didn't have muscles. Not really. Even the Star Wars line was pretty slim in terms of sculpting but I first noticed things were changing when some of the Star Wars figures were reissued earlier this century. I remember being at a toy store and thinking 'wow, are they still making figures?' and then picking a few up and noticed Luke and Han (and even Vader) were sporting newly muscled sculpted bodies. The sculpts looked a bit strange to me because they seemed (like comic books of the 90s) to place so much emphasis on making the arms and necks and legs look so muscular it gave the figures a somewhat odd look to them. With the upcoming Superman Man of Steel movie next year, I wonder what the figures will look like? The costume is much darker so that's one thing the figures will likely have. Also I'm hoping for some realistic looking figures. Some nicely articulated figures in cool looking blister card would be a good idea too.

Next year, Man of Steel flies into theaters. I'm cautiously optimistic about the new movie, as well as the resulting merchandising because I was disappointed with Superman Returns. I remember when I first saw action figures and playsets for Superman Returns at the toy stores. My immediate reaction was "Where are the good toys from the movie?" because I remember picking up various figures and frowning at them thinking these cannot be it. Some of the packaging was sloppy. Also the toys seemed overly expensive for what you actually got. At Toys R Us, I saw a huge Superman Returns figure. It stood some 30 inches tall and I was overwhelmed by it, but the size alone made it also impractical since I had nowhere to actually put it. And its interesting too because in the years since, that collectable has become much sought after by fans and the general public unlike the smaller toys which were more widely released.

Some of the playsets were really bad, like the Superman Returns Truck Lifting Playset. But some of the better figures were the Superman Returns 7inch Heat Vision figure, which I actually did buy but didn't keep since the batteries already came installed and as anybody who knows batteries, they leak and corrode over time if you do not remove them when they expire, and to do meant you had to open the package (not exactly the most collector friendly if you want to keep everything mint in the same condition as when you bought it).

With the new Man of Steel movie, from different bits and pieces I have heard or read about via news services, it looks to be a much more action orientated movie. That means lots of different figures, as well as there are several different suits. So that means variations on the standard figures. The cape is much longer too. Almost hanging down to the ground as he (Superman) walks. But it has no life in it. It just hangs there, much like the awful capes on the Batman Power Attack Action Figures. Limp and lifeless. Also the material Mattel uses for its capes need to improve because it not only feels cheap, it looks cheap. Still the movie is some months away, so it will be interesting seeing what surfaces as more news comes to light but I do hope for some fantastic articulated figures, and hope Mattel delivers something better than it usually does.

Remembering old toys, my cousin was a big fan of Marvel. I sometimes wonder what happened to his toys as I remember looking at them in his room and really being amazed by how many he had. Most of them from memory were stored in a big brown cupboard. There were stickers plastered all over the doors too. Stickers were much more popular growing up. I remember loving the Batman stickers I would find at the supermarket or newsstand. They were usually sold in small packets for a buck or less. Last time I checked the prices of superhero stickers at a store my legs almost collapsed from underneath me because they were so expensive.

Felt tempted to purchase some Star Wars toys tonight but resisted because I usually only buy something if I feel I am getting a bargain. Plus I'm more consciously aware of my buying habits and why I spend sometimes and don't spend other times. But wow, there are some nice things out there. It reminds me of a visit to a toy store earlier this century. It was what you would call a classic/vintage toy store. It was like stepping into the past when you entered through the front door. There were Star Wars (vintage), Mego, Six Million Dollar Man and his Bionic Woman friend, Super Powers, Batman toys dating back several decades. They all looked so good. Like diamonds shining behind the glass cabinets. The problem was the price of the items. They were all expensive. Even items that were not housed in their original packaging were priced high. So while I enjoyed visiting the store and really liked seeing the classic toys, I didn't end up buying anything because I felt the prices were too high and outpriced what I was willing to spend.

Quote Originally Posted by zryson View Post
    Felt tempted to purchase some Star Wars toys tonight but resisted because I usually only buy something if I feel I am getting a bargain. ...
    My son and I went to a toy show yesterday where there seemed to me tons of star wars stuff at bargain prices I say that knowing nothing about the market, but in addition to large and--I'm assuming--pricey 70s stuff, there were many dealers with SW figures for a dollar. Also, a lot of Hot Wheels for a dollar in package.
    "It's just lines on paper, folks!"