Page 1 of 55 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Superhero Toys

Default Superhero Toys

Here's something that just occurred to me while watching some old toy commercials on Youtube: Are there any superhero-related toys that, when you were a child, your favorite comic books inspired you to buy?

Being a toddler in the late 70's, I wanted anything related to the Hulk. My two favorite toys from that era was the Mego Hulk doll and the lil' 3.75" Hulk from the Pocket Heroes line.

I was actually the reverse. Having the toys (Super Powers and Secret Wars) inspired me to seek out the cartoons and (later) the comics.

i dont remember alot of my childhood so i cant say; but i remember different things; usually in bits and pieces; like when i saw toy ads in comics i would often find myself wanting to buy them, like the mego pocket superheroes, super powers figures, magnetic batman and robin, batmobile with batboat. these were comics i wasnt reading at the time when they were published but later on when i would buy them from used bookstores. i love comics, but i also love toys, superhero toys. have a good range, superman, batman and hulk pocket superheroes (i had spiderman but i gave it away), also large range of super powers toys (brainiac, superman, batman, green lantern, hawkman, etc), also large star wars collection of original figures and 12 inchers and playsets, also other kenner related merchandise and a couple of spiderman figures i bought the past few years from toy stores i visited

There weren't many superhero toys in the mid 70's. My friends and I would have loved to have seen the superhero toys and such that are out today. What was available to us, we scooped up. Such as the following:

I wanted Captain Action for the Superman and Batman packs. I had a lot of Batmania-inspired stuff, but it was less toys as cards, stickers rings, etc.
    "It's just lines on paper, folks!"

I had a bunch of the Mego 8" figures and played with them constantly. They were pretty crappy-looking compared to modern action figures, but I loved 'em.

I had some of those Aurora model kits too, but I always did a terrible job assembling and painting them.
    -JKC-
    Glorianna - Barbarian adventure! New page every Friday!

Quote Originally Posted by TAG View Post
    There weren't many superhero toys in the mid 70's. My friends and I would have loved to have seen the superhero toys and such that are out today. What was available to us, we scooped up.

Really? As a kid who adored superhero toys, I'd always wished I'd grown up in the mid 1970s because I absolutely envied the Mego superhero figures that my older cousins had. I loved how big and poseable they were, as well as the fact that the removable clothing allowed you to give them some sense of a secret identity.

To this day, I've never become a collector of Mego figures (I have four and am satisfied), but I'd hardly say there weren't many superhero toys in the mid '70s. You guys were the first generation to have a wide abundance of them available (I was the second).

some rare hulk and spidey & captain america stuff from decades ago -- anyone remember these?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dean View Post
    Being a toddler in the late 70's, I wanted anything related to the Hulk. My two favorite toys from that era was the Mego Hulk doll and the lil' 3.75" Hulk from the Pocket Heroes line.

Aw man, I had that Hulk figure, for one day only! My older bro had been away somewhere, and found that little Hulk figure for me as a present from his trip. An older kid who lived in the next close begged me to give him it, and eventually I gave him it. Ah, fug it, that kid did not have much, and I had a lot of comics and toys. My bro was mortified i had given it away, and i ended up feeling real bad about that.

I also had that Hulk you pumped up with air, who burst out of a cage you built, that feature was not exactly great, but it was a great Hulk figure. I always wanted that big Hulk who had the ripped white shirt and I think had a talking feature. My pal had it, when I asked for it, I think I was told I already had a big Hulk figure.

But my fav toys from that era were the magnetic hands and feet Batman, and the Batman exploding bridge playset.
    I broke the magnetic Batman the first night I had it, making it fight a large orange teddy bear, they took it back and I got another thankfully.
    and that exploding bridge playset, man, they were selling that in a newsagents round the corner from my house, I must've been about 3 yrs old, and every day when i was walking home from nursery school, i would look in that shop window to make sure no-one else had got it yet. We were not a well off family, so it took a while before they saved up the dough for it, so one day I came back from nursery school, and to my horror it was not in the window of the shop.
    when I got home my family had laid out all my little Batman toys on the floor for me, and I thought they were trying to make it up to me by playing Batman with me, with what I had as someone else had got the playset, but then I noticed the playset sitting in the back of the room, man, was i relieved.
    It was so cool, you got a little bat-mobile you could sit your pocket sized figures in, and a little red dynamite thing like in the Road Runner cartoons, where you pushed down on it, and a red plastic spring that was attached by a wire bounced up and 'exploded' the bridge apart, awesome. there was a drawing of the Joker on the cover , so i thought you got a Joker figure too, so was a little disapointed with that not being in there, but I got the mego Joker 8 inch figure, which i still have, except he has no shoes or jacket and only one foot nowadays.

Also, another fav was the Batman figure that had a retractable batarang attached to a rope, that you could make climb up things, amazing, glow in the dark eyes too, some kid broke it when i went on a religious trip with my parents with this christain cult thing.
    and last but not least the 'Stretch Armstrong' type Spider-man figure , that was a lot of fun.

Another Spider-man toy i loved was this little Spider-man jeep, you got a little Spider-man with it, but the best thing was that it had a winch type thing at the back, and attached was a Spider-web bag that contained a little green goblin(on a glider) figure.

Of the mego figures I only Spider-man, Batman and the Joker, of those pocket heroes i had a Penguin(lost his umbrella in the town library the day i bought him, man my sister and i searched that library for that umbrella, i was most upset), Batman, and that Hulk, don't recall any others.
    but another figure i got was this Mego copy type Batman figure, quite crappy and cheap, but, it had one amazing feature, you could take Batman's mask off, it came off it two parts, front and back, it was moulded plastic, in fact , the mask was the only well made part of the figure. I was reminded of this by the poster who talked about the 'secret identities' aspect of the mego figures, with their clothes being removable, but their masks never were, so this figure was awesome for me in that way.
    Last edited by beanjuice; 01-03-2011 at 07:32 AM.

I had one of those Incredible Hulk figures that you wind up and put in the tub and he swims. That didn't last long, but it must have made a strong impression on me because I was four or five when I saw it.

I also thought the Secret Wars line of Marvel figures was pretty cool at the time, although looking back at them now they are small and barely articulated. They had these lenticular gimmick shields and accessories. I remember getting Doctor Doom for some reason.

I never owned any toys from the Super Powers Collection, but I did drool over the ads and I did see some at school once and thought it was so stupid that one of them was a plane for Superman. If anyone doesn't need a plane ...

My favorite comic toy type thing, though, was the Batman cake set that my mom used to make me a Batman cake for at least one Birthday. It had a little plastic Batman face with it and looked cool.

http://hmckillip.blogspot.com/2008/0...ke-batman.html

Quote Originally Posted by shawnh View Post

I also thought the Secret Wars line of Marvel figures was pretty cool at the time, although looking back at them now they are small and barely articulated. They had these lenticular gimmick shields and accessories. I remember getting Doctor Doom for some reason.

I never owned any toys from the Super Powers Collection, but I did drool over the ads and I did see some at school once and thought it was so stupid that one of them was a plane for Superman. If anyone doesn't need a plane ...
    Yeah, those came out when I was just at the age of growing out of playing with toys, more into computer games, but would play with em now and again if i got something cool and new, so I got myself Wolverine and Iron-Man because I'd never had toys of those guys before, and they looked so cool, esp Wolverine as you got those little removable claws.
    In the early 90s when they started making X-Men action figures(this was just before the cartoon series), they brought out that Wolverine figure with the pop out claws and removable mask, I had to get that, awesome figure, just wish I'd had it when I was a kid.
    I also got myself Hawkman from the super powers collection just because of the wings, such a cool figure, you pressed his legs together and it made his wings flap.

I had a Doctor Doom action figure. Don't know where I got it, probably one of my uncles old toys. I was reading comics at the time but just barely starting to actually "read" them and although I knew Doctor Doom was a Marvel comic book character, it never mattered to me. I didn't read many comics with him in it.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

Quote Originally Posted by beanjuice View Post
    Aw man, I had that Hulk figure, for one day only! My older bro had been away somewhere, and found that little Hulk figure for me as a present from his trip. An older kid who lived in the next close begged me to give him it, and eventually I gave him it. Ah, fug it, that kid did not have much, and I had a lot of comics and toys. My bro was mortified i had given it away, and i ended up feeling real bad about that.

I also had that Hulk you pumped up with air, who burst out of a cage you built, that feature was not exactly great, but it was a great Hulk figure. I always wanted that big Hulk who had the ripped white shirt and I think had a talking feature. My pal had it, when I asked for it, I think I was told I already had a big Hulk figure.
    For Christmas when I was four or five I got the Hulk AND Thing pump-up-and-break-out-of-structures toys. They were great. I still have some of the stone walls that came with The Thing and The Hulk's cage somewhere around the house I grew up in, probably under the house in a box of silverfish. Now, the actual Hulk and Thing dolls I have on my shelf right behind me. I always like Thing better, mostly for that there were less toys of him in stores then.

The Hulk toy I really wanted when I was a kid and only saw once at a Lionel's Playworld was the large diecast figure.
    http://www.incrediblehulkonline.com/diecast.html
    http://www.megomuseum.com/heroes/diecast/hulk.html

Look at that fellah! It's massive and probably weighed a ton! I remember my mom telling me it was too expensive. Years later a friend of mine confirmed that it did retail for something like $20 in 1979, so yeah.

Hey look! Buy it now for $109!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/MARVEL-MEGO-DIEC...item4cf3d3c86a
    Last edited by Brandon Hanvey; 03-03-2013 at 10:35 AM. Reason: took out picture from supsected malware site

I had the Super Powers and Secret Wars action figures.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...