Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: DAYBREAK: JT Krul

Writer JT Krul spoke with CBR News about his ongoing "Green Arrow" series, the title's upcoming arc tying into "Brightest Day" and what's to come for Oliver Queen once the Brightest Day ends enters it's twilight.

Full article here.

New characters galore! I love it!

I'm a little disappointed to hear about the upcoming emphasis on tying into Brightest Day (because I'm not reading it) but the stuff to come after should make it worth weathering through.

BANNED

I am still waiting for ollie to fix his family mess, the arrow family is in shambles.

BANNED

I love what I'm hearing except for one thing: Mr. Krul, Clark Kent is the real person and Superman the alter ego, while Bruce Wayne is the alter ego and Batman the real person (Well, you know what I mean).

Other than that, I really like the direction of the title but I can't wait for Brightest Day to finish (Although I love it) so Krul can focus on his own story.

And I'm calling it, Ollie's new enemy is going to be Star City's own Sheriff of Nottingham.

Default Disappointed

I'm very disappointed with Krul's work on GA so far. All the momentum the book had, is already lost. The sales numbers are falling again. The Queen is not interesting. There is way too much "tie-in" in the book. No real story. What a let-down.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    I love what I'm hearing except for one thing: Mr. Krul, Clark Kent is the real person and Superman the alter ego, while Bruce Wayne is the alter ego and Batman the real person (Well, you know what I mean).

Other than that, I really like the direction of the title but I can't wait for Brightest Day to finish (Although I love it) so Krul can focus on his own story.

And I'm calling it, Ollie's new enemy is going to be Star City's own Sheriff of Nottingham.
    Well, that's just not true. Clark Kent is the disguise that Superman uses. Around his parents and Lois, he doesn't act like Clark Kent, he acts like Superman. The clumsy act that he does as Clark Kent is made so that people don't suspect that he's actually the confident and powerfull Superman.

I feel like the new Green Arrow series has been stuck in a holding pattern until Brightest Day gets to a point where it's able to show whatever cards it's holding until the miniseries reaches its big reveals/money shots/whatever. I like the new GA series - the art is beautiful and the writing of Ollie's character is very believable to me - but tons more STUFF happened by this point in the last GA than in this one. The pacing seems a bit tortoise-like, even though there's certainly a lot of action. It's just that the action doesn't lead anywhere. I'll be happy when they're able to get past the confines of Brightest Day and stretch their legs a bit more on this series.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhymer View Post
    I'm very disappointed with Krul's work on GA so far. All the momentum the book had, is already lost. The sales numbers are falling again. The Queen is not interesting. There is way too much "tie-in" in the book. No real story. What a let-down.
    In all fairness, sales on Green Arrow have been stable throughout its run. It's been a Top 40 title on Diamond's Top 100 comics every month since its debut in June.

Isabel Rochev (The Queen) is, for me, one of the more interesting GA villains. She's believable, for one. Having come from a life of poverty in Russia only to be wined, dined and bedded by one of the richest men in the world--and then to lose everything once he died, thus exposing her narcissism--it just works. Her super-power is power. She scratched, clawed and fought her way to the top and took everything from her lover's wife and child. She's easy to despise, a character I love to hate and she is refreshingly realistic in her corporate Machiavellian scheming and cutthroat ways.

Regarding way too much tie-in, what did you expect? DC deliberately tied it and several other new books to Brightest Day. It's got the BD trade dress every single issue above the logo. Of course it's a tie-in; it's a tie-in every month all year long. If you didn't want a book that ties in directly to BD, well, it was obvious from the very start it was going to be that way. I mean no offense, but it's not like DC didn't warn you from the very beginning.

And I'm sorry, but the claim of no real story is laughable--especially after this week's issue which was frankly one of the best so far. The scenes with Ollie and spoilers:
    the ghost of his mother
    end of spoilers were beautiful. I haven't seen Ollie be this vulnerable and humble in years. One of the things I love most about Krul's GA is that he's actually a nice guy who regrets all the stupid mistakes he's made in life. Green Arrow is shown as someone who cares about others and realizes he's messed up so many of his own relationships through no fault but his own. That's pretty damn grown-up and it's been one of the best parts of the story: his evolution and growth as a man.

I do like Nix better than the Queen, but that's due in no small part to the fact that she is designed to be a hand-to-hand combatant for GA. Nix is also a bit creepy which I love. She's an ice cold killer who doesn't talk, ever, and damn if she can't fight like a wildcat! More Nix, please, J.T.

Going back to plot, Krul has changed the status quo in Star City from the politicians to the corporation running things (an apt metaphor for our own society at large to boot). It's been a gradual change, a slow burn, no question. The deaths of political figures happened within the first few issues, though, and we've already seen Rochev consolidating her power with her armed guards taking over the city. Krul took his time, but he didn't take forever to get there.

Black Arrow's coming next issue. Then BD ends in a few months and we get to the next new villain. All within the first year of the book. That's far from there being "no story."
    Last edited by Flashpoint; 12-31-2010 at 10:18 AM.

im liking this series as it goes along but i wanna know when ollie is gonna patch things up with dinah,mia, and connor hes still married to her cuz they didnt sign divorce papers but just keep her of GA so she doesnt play second-fiddle again

Quote Originally Posted by gsnake007 View Post
    im liking this series as it goes along but i wanna know when ollie is gonna patch things up with dinah,mia, and connor hes still married to her cuz they didnt sign divorce papers but just keep her of GA so she doesnt play second-fiddle again
    The BOP #7 would suggest they are divorced. Dinah refers to herself as a bachelorette again for all of a few days (can't recall the exact number of days she said). Whether people agree or don't, their marriage is over.

I'm indifferent for Krul's Teen Titans but I really like his GA run. I'm sad that the Queen is taking a backseat for the Brightest Day stuff, I can't wait till all of BD is over so GA can resume with his regular stories.

Green Arrow has a large yet underdeveloped, underused and recently trimmed rogues gallery.

As I covered on my blog here (part one) and here (part two).
    Cape shall not kill cape. X-E-R-O

BANNED

I think the main problem so far is exactly what was said in the interview. Basically Krul has two things going on. His own story with GA, with the Queen and Star City. And then you have Brightest Day, which is mainly a marketing assist with the general DCU direction, but it also has its part in the story. I personally don't care for Brightest Day, and I read this book for Green Arrow. The book has been fairly wishy-washy with balancing those two things. But now I think the book will get better. The upcoming issues will focus on BD. After that, we can focus on the regular Green Arrow stories.

I love that Krul gave some really detailed answers here. He really has not only a grasp of Oliver Queen's character, but also a good sense of direction of where he wants to go and how he wants to expand the mythology. One other thing I like about the book is that it balances social consience themes with Arthurian fantasy. Conceptually, I love the direction of the book. I just really hope the execution improves as Krul gets to focus on his direction after BD.

Quote Originally Posted by neogod557 View Post
    I think the main problem so far is exactly what was said in the interview. Basically Krul has two things going on. His own story with GA, with the Queen and Star City. And then you have Brightest Day, which is mainly a marketing assist with the general DCU direction, but it also has its part in the story. I personally don't care for Brightest Day, and I read this book for Green Arrow. The book has been fairly wishy-washy with balancing those two things. But now I think the book will get better. The upcoming issues will focus on BD. After that, we can focus on the regular Green Arrow stories.

I love that Krul gave some really detailed answers here. He really has not only a grasp of Oliver Queen's character, but also a good sense of direction of where he wants to go and how he wants to expand the mythology. One other thing I like about the book is that it balances social consience themes with Arthurian fantasy. Conceptually, I love the direction of the book. I just really hope the execution improves as Krul gets to focus on his direction after BD.
    Good post. I'm looking forward to the new villain that's coming after Black Arrow and the end of BD. He/she sounds interesting based on J.T.'s description of the concept behind the character.

As both you and I have noted, Krul has a good hand on clear concepts which I think is what drives the characters and the plot. He's created a roadmap based on concise ideas of what GA's personality is and the roles the other cast members play to complement and contrast him. That's why the new GA book is working so well.

Futurist Detective TonyStark1012's Avatar

I'm loving this book! Krul has done an amazing job and I like what he had to say in this interview. I think it would be cool for him to bring back in to Ollie's rogue gallery. Guys like Deathstroke, Constantine Drakon, and Ontimotopia. I liked Brick, but he was killed by Kreisberg, but then he was in CFJ so who knows. It really is good to see my favorite DC hero with a awesome writer and great artist. So I'm in it for the long haul!
    "That's not just "one man"! That's TONY FREAKING STARK. You're intel should've warned us that he was James Bond and "Q" wrapped in the same guy!" Cobra