Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: McCann Makes Widows and Attacks Blindspots

This week, Jim McCann and Duane Swierczynski's superhero espionage epic continues with the release of "Widowmaker" #2. We spoke with McCann about the series and it's coming follow-up, February's "Hawkeye: Blind Spot."

Full article here.

"Blind Spot" is a story involving unfolding plots in the present day alongside numerous flashback sequences. "You'll get to see a good deal of Hawkeye's history and what has shaped him so far," McCann remarked. "The flashbacks are kind of a counterbalance, because while we're seeing what brought Hawkeye to where he is today, we're balancing that with what he's going through and what will make him the man he will be tomorrow."
    Yeah, that is what I thought about all the strange people popping up on covers.

Living Legend Of Radio Moose967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hrist View Post
    Yeah, that is what I thought about all the strange people popping up on covers.
    Good call Hrist!!
    What Did I Buy This Week? Captain America#5 & #6

Follow me on Twitter: @MooseMichaels

BANNED

Huh. That's cool.
    I don't really think I can add much, but cool article.

BANNED

Also, "Kill your own babies?" I don't like the sound of that...

I hope the Avengers in the flashbacks are the real Avengers, the one Clint's been in hundreds of issues with (i.e. Wanda, Vision, Hank, Jan, Simon...), not fricking Luke Cage and Wolverine and Spider-Man who he has a bare handful of appearances with.

I'm glad he specified that it's not about getting to the point where he'd murder someone, since I'm exactly that person thinking "oh no" that McCann talks about in this interview. I mean, if they're bringing him to a dark place and Bendis has already established that Clint will now try to assassinate someone who simply gives a TV interview he doesn't like, McCann's going to have to do some writing gymnastics to get around it. Heck, we also just saw McCann drive him there in HaM.

That said, as long as it's Hawkeye -- and not the suicidal homicidal moron ninja -- I'll keep hoping for the best. If anyone can do the right thing with him, it's McCann.

(Really annoyed that I haven't gotten to look at Widowmaker 2 yet. I flipped through it quickly in the store and decided I would buy it -- and then left all my comics at said store after paying for them, so have to return to pick them up tomorrow. Grrr!)

Best Coast Avenger BartonisHawkeye88's Avatar

"There are ways to push a character without making them want to go murder somebody. This story is definitely going to be a very emotional and action-packed tale. It's a tale of a superhero that changes his life."

damn straight!

" If I had many, many extra pages, I would have gone back and shown that she adopted that identity to send a message. To her, Dark Ocean didn't exist, either. It hadn't existed since World War II. I do imagine, though, that she knew of the identity and wanted to use it to strike fear because she was attacking the Hand and members of the Japanese Underworld. So to her, what better way to use it?"

WOOT! Now THAT's what I want to hear! And pretty close to my wild guesses too! I guess McCann IS reading my mind! It's the only excuse for how extraordinarily awesome all of his work has been with Hawk and Mock.
    PULL: Hawkeye, Star Wars, Daredevil, Thor: God of Thunder, Secret Avengers

I wasn't impressed with either the H+M series or the BW book. They were decent, but I wasn't shocked when they got cancelled early.

But the Widowmaker series is great. I love this new Dark Ocean concept. Marvel hasn't had a new great villain group like Hydra, AIM, the Hand etc in decades.

Its too bad McCann's Hawkeye story has to bounce from series to series (reminds me of the classic Warlock/Thanos conflict from Starlin in the 70s) instead of getting traction in a single ongoing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann's Interview
    I think I've put Mockingbird through the wringer in 'Hawkeye and Mockingbird,' but now it's Clint's turn.
    Let's put this "wringer" into perspective:

1. Having spent three years hiding on an alien planet,

2. Bobbi gets to be psychically accosted by the ghost of her rapist,

3. Clint blows years of her being under deep cover by telling her family,

4. Clint gets her mother shot by blowing said cover,

5. Bobbi eventually turns her team over to Clint after his insistence she's too unstable, due to #3 and #4,

6. And after all of that, Clint wants to break up because he thinks she's too violent.

At this point, I hope Clint's "wringer" involves Mockingbird and a Genital Mutilation Arrow, because anything short of that is clown shoes. Maybe McCann'll dig up the corpse of Clint's brother and put it in his bed while he's sleeping, that might be fair.