Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Geoff Johns Prime: Christmas Edition, Part 2

In the conclusion of CBR's holiday edition of regular talks with Geoff Johns, the writer talks his "The Flash" series, his latest "Smallville" episode, the Batman live-action stage show and more.

Full article here.

Default Iris

When I read john's first run on Flash, Iris was an "older" lady, portrayed to be in her 50s, and she agreed to raise the Weather Wizard's kid. Now she's portrayed as a young hotty (drawn to be younger than even Wally's wife!) and there's no mention of the kid! Did I miss an issue where Iris was de-aged? Also, are Barry and Iris still married? Reading the first 6 issues of Flash, I never got the impression that they were.

The Truth Hurts

Is DC still interested in telling some Captain Marvel stories be it comics, TV, animated shows or movies?

Yes, definitely, but maybe not in the way you expect!
    Well, I expect more crap with the idiotic Freddy Freeman version of "Shazam." Any chance or hope of that not happening, and the real Captain Marvel coming back at long last? Cap hasn't been treated right since Geoff write him in JSA, anyway...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GoofBall814 View Post
    When I read john's first run on Flash, Iris was an "older" lady, portrayed to be in her 50s, and she agreed to raise the Weather Wizard's kid. Now she's portrayed as a young hotty (drawn to be younger than even Wally's wife!) and there's no mention of the kid! Did I miss an issue where Iris was de-aged? Also, are Barry and Iris still married? Reading the first 6 issues of Flash, I never got the impression that they were.
    Apparently Barry and Iris got deaged due to some residual speedforce or some crap like that. Bottom line, Geoff didn't want Barry to be the old man anymore so now Wally is under 30, Barry is in his mid thirties and Bart's body is younger since he came back from the 30th Century during Final Crisis so he can fit in his Kid Flash costume again.

YES Booster Gold plays a role in the Flashpoint event.

It’s [issue 8] probably one of the most bizarre issues I’ve ever worked on.

Oh? Bizarre? Now this I want to see.
    Last edited by Wildbird; 12-24-2010 at 07:39 PM. Reason: yay for stupid misspellings
    "Call me Kid Flash - and get your big 'S' handed to you! The name's Impulse!"

Young Justice - accept no substitutes.

Earth's First Mutant Captain Comet's Avatar

Itís not a musical because Batman may be good, but have you ever heard him sing?
    Justice League Unlimited Season 1 Episode 5: This Little Piggy.

And he was quite good.
    I'VE ABANDONED MY CHILD!

Superman/Batman: Roommates?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Comet View Post

And he was quite good.
    You beat me to it! One of my favorite JLU episodes!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Comet View Post

And he was quite good.
    That's such a well known example, I almost feel like Geoff was making a joke that didn't translate to text.

Quote Originally Posted by I_Captain Blanco View Post
    Well, I expect more crap with the idiotic Freddy Freeman version of "Shazam." Any chance or hope of that not happening, and the real Captain Marvel coming back at long last? Cap hasn't been treated right since Geoff write him in JSA, anyway...
    I agree. I know Geoff likes Captain Marvel (though he likes Black Adam even more) but I wish unless someone at DC is willing to say something concrete other than "we've got plans" they would just stop altogether. No one believes it (much like whenever anyone at DC comments on Cassandra Cain).

Billy and Mary appeared in a one page cameo in the Osiris one-shot in January 2010 and that was it for them for the entire year (but back in 2009, Didio himself said there would be progression in the Shazam storyline in 2010). Ian Sattler has said the Shazam story will progress from Osiris' story in 2011 yet who really cares about Osiris? Or Freddy/Shazam/Captain Marvel II/Whatevertheywantocallhim? Who outside of Dan Didio and Judd Winick though THAT was a good idea (or that it would work into sales)?
    "Heroes are forever. The rest of us are just part of the story" - Lady Shiva in Batgirl # 72 by Anderson Gabrych

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenn View Post
    I agree. I know Geoff likes Captain Marvel (though he likes Black Adam even more) but I wish unless someone at DC is willing to say something concrete other than "we've got plans" they would just stop altogether. No one believes it (much like whenever anyone at DC comments on Cassandra Cain).
    Gail Simone once expressed an interest in working with the Marvel Family but maybe her pitch wasn't well received.

Hmpf. So many folks are insistent on having older alter egos for the Marvels, which, in a lot of ways contradicts the entire premise.

If that's the case, let's try this little twist: Billy and Mary can get older, but as they mature and get more sophisticated and morally complex, the more trouble they have accessing the power. In order to be fully powered, they have to search within themselves for their inner child, to find the grace, innocence and moral purity to wield the power of Shazam.

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Hmpf. So many folks are insistent on having older alter egos for the Marvels, which, in a lot of ways contradicts the entire premise.

If that's the case, let's try this little twist: Billy and Mary can get older, but as they mature and get more sophisticated and morally complex, the more trouble they have accessing the power. In order to be fully powered, they have to search within themselves for their inner child, to find the grace, innocence and moral purity to wield the power of Shazam.
    I like that idea. It also solves the dilemma of why they just don't stay in their Shazam-ed forms 24/7 especially if they (like Freddy) are no longer clearly a kid in comparison to their "adult" Marvel forms. The longer they stay powered up they less "human" they become.

Quote Originally Posted by marvelboy74
    Gail Simone once expressed an interest in working with the Marvel Family but maybe her pitch wasn't well received.
    I've wondered about that and yet...based on interviews Eric Wallace has given it seems he didn't "pitch" any specific any Marvel-related revivial stuff (outside of using Osiris in Titans) and yet DC has basically given him alone the keys to the Marvels in 2011. Gail has expressed her interest in writing the Marvels for years now, she's even said she's told Didio about it. Johns and Alex Ross (those two alone would have guaranteed a book with healthy sales) pitched a more traditional Marvel Family series that was rejected in favor of Winick's unsuccessful Trials revamp and DC hasn't done squat with the characters in over 2 years now (even the one time the new "Freddy/Shazam" was set to have a big role in Cry for Justice it was a big fake-out and it was never him all along). Removing Billy, turning Mary not only evil but worse for the credibility of the character, dumb bratty laughably over-the-top evil, and making Freddy the "hero" but making him look just like BillyCap and never using him - the way Didio treats the Marvel Family is perplexing and has seemed designed to fail at all points (especially given that the Johnny DC title was done very well shows that someone at the company DOES get it). Even if they don't "work" thematically in the present day dark DCU (one of the excuses Didio has given), the Marvel Family are iconically very important to comics history, a still significant source of revenue in merchandising and hugely important (if Diane Nelson and Geoff are to be believed) in terms of DC Entertainment/WB's future non-comic plans. You would never get that by how carelessly the publishing division has treated them.
    Last edited by Jbenn; 12-28-2010 at 04:45 AM.
    "Heroes are forever. The rest of us are just part of the story" - Lady Shiva in Batgirl # 72 by Anderson Gabrych

I like that idea. It also solves the dilemma of why they just don't stay in their Shazam-ed forms 24/7 especially if they (like Freddy) are no longer clearly a kid in comparison to their "adult" Marvel forms. The longer they stay powered up they less "human" they become.

I've wondered about that and yet...based on interviews Eric Wallace has given it seems he didn't "pitch" any specific any Marvel-related revivial stuff (outside of using Osiris in Titans) and yet DC has basically given him alone the keys to the Marvels in 2011. Gail has expressed her interest in writing the Marvels for years now, she's even said she's told Didio about it. Johns and Alex Ross (those two alone would have guaranteed a book with healthy sales) pitched a more traditional Marvel Family series that was rejected in favor of Winick's unsuccessful Trials revamp and DC hasn't done squat with the characters in over 2 years now (even the one time the new "Freddy/Shazam" was set to have a big role in Cry for Justice it was a big fake-out and it was never him all along). Removing Billy, turning Mary not only evil but worse for the credibility of the character, dumb bratty laughably over-the-top evil, and making Freddy the "hero" but making him look just like BillyCap and never using him - the way Didio treats the Marvel Family is perplexing and has seemed designed to fail at all points (especially given that the Johnny DC title was done very well shows that someone at the company DOES get it). Even if they don't "work" thematically in the present day dark DCU (one of the excuses Didio has given), the Marvel Family are iconically very important to comics history, a still significant source of revenue in merchandising and hugely important (if Diane Nelson and Geoff are to be believed) in terms of DC Entertainment/WB's future non-comic plans. You would never get that by how carelessly the publishing division has treated them.
    I'll point out that my "solution" can fold the crappy "Dark Mary" into the reason why they have trouble accessing the power (and it really is sorta of a fail safe the wizard would build into the powers). And that opens up some offbeat ways to express the powers that might be more interesting than straight ahead flying-strong person-invulnerable brick.

Billy and Mary appeared in a one page cameo in the Osiris one-shot in January 2010 and that was it for them for the entire year (but back in 2009, Didio himself said there would be progression in the Shazam storyline in 2010). Ian Sattler has said the Shazam story will progress from Osiris' story in 2011 yet who really cares about Osiris? Or Freddy/Shazam/Captain Marvel II/Whatevertheywantocallhim? Who outside of Dan Didio and Judd Winick though THAT was a good idea (or that it would work into sales)?
    Don't kill me for saying this....

....But I do actually see where they were coming from with the revamp, if only from a marketing standpoint.

Someone brought up a point recently where he said that chances are, even had not been for the lawsuit which ended with the Marvel heroes being put on ice for decades, they would have had trouble maintaining popularity thanks to the eventual cultural shift that lead to newer "darker" heroes taking more prominence, something I guess I sort of agree with. Now I don't think TOS was the right way to go about it, but I do think that a lot of the more recent takes like Power of Shazam and even the excellent Monster Society of Evil are a bit to hung up on the nostalgiac element of the character (such as the "Holy moly!" stuff). I don't need to see Billy ripping people in half or fighting child slavers, but I do think there should be a greater balance.

And at the same time, I also see the benefit of rebranding the character into Shazam. I mean the majority of people I know who remember the character think his name is Shazam anyway, and his true name is pretty much advertising for DC's direct rival in the comic (and increasingly film, video games and television) industry. So from a certain standpoint, changing his name to Shazam does make sense.