Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: EXCLUSIVE: Brevoort & Alonso Talk "Fear Itself"

CBR News spoke [em]exclusively[/em] with Marvel's VP-Executive Editors after the press conference announcing "Fear Itself," a new line-wide crossover event written by Matt Fraction and illustrated by Stuart Immonen.

Full article here.

"Times are tough," he explained. "Unemployment is at an all-time high. Families are losing their homes, worldwide economies are on the brink. All you need to do is turn on the TV, the computer, a radio and you should find a politician, pundit or prophet who's out there ready to tell you what you should be afraid of, who's responsible and why you should be afraid of them. It's a world divided. At the end of the day, you have to ask yourself who you should trust. Who do you trust? Twenty-four hour news cycles? Weather changes? WikiLeaks? Depression? Recession? Bailouts? Bankers? If you're anything like me, it's a great time to be fearful, and if you're anything like the people out there who deal in fear and seek to gain from fear, well, it's just a good time. Let's face it, friends: the world has gotten smaller, and today more than ever, fear above all else seems to be a great motivator. There's no shortage of charlatans, tyrants and despots ready to stoke the flames. All they need is a spark."
    Ya know, maybe such grave, real-world issues shouldn't be trivialized by a comic book.

But then again, Cap did punch out Hitler.
    Every week, I write about the science in comic books and what it says about our real world!
    Check it out, if you'd like!

Hmmm... interesting.

Apparently Fractions been planting seeds to this in the X books. As I'm not an X guy, I likely missed all of that.

Anyone have any guesses on what he seeds he planted?

We Crossed The Line Brother Justin Crowe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Ya know, maybe such grave, real-world issues shouldn't be trivialized by a comic book.
    Honestly, it all depends on how it's done that marks the difference between a topic being trivialized or examined from a cultural standpoint.

But then again, Cap did punch out Hitler.
    Spider-Man watched the second Tower fall, too. Mitchell Hundred saved Tower Two. When Havok came back from the Mutant X world, Xavier told him about 9/11. Milligan's Shade the Changing Man did this a lot, too, with several issues focusing on the JFK assassination, for starters. Dysart's Unknown Soldier is all about how awful life in Uganda is right now. I don't think any of that was trivializing in any way at all.

Personally, what I don't understand is how certain scenarios haven't happened in comics, e.g. X-Force hasn't decided to off any number of despotic world leaders, Deadpool hasn't been contracted to assassinate Kim Jong-Il and the Punisher hasn't taken his fight to the Senate. Even on the USA adaptation of The Dead Zone, amidst all the Diebold/Halliburton/Bush/Cheney allegories, Johnny Smith was hired by the US government to try and find Osama bin Laden. On Fringe, it's heavily implied that the White House was destroyed on 9/11 instead of the WTC as per a newspaper in the alternate universe in the first season finale.

But that's just me.
    I rule me.

Uh....wow, pass. The main villain looks like Gandalf and Medusa's love-child, and didn't we just finish (or are in) another event called Godwar with the God of Death or somesuch? Shows you how much I care about that, and, frankly, I don't think i'm really going to care for this either.

Ever since the craptacular ending of Siege, Marvel has been putting out less and less that actually interests me anymore. The only thing keeping me going is the cosmic DnA stuff at this point.

I don't find any of the characters in the above line-up that interesting anymore, with the exception of Iron Man, who almost seems to exist in his own continuity anyway in Fraction's book.
    Last edited by Monari; 12-21-2010 at 02:39 PM.

I keep seeing Fraction's name and my mind is automatically making me so "No".

Sigh, I will give it one issue to impress me.
    Destiny's Child - "If" - Here

The greatest comics have been contemporary social commentary: FMs Daredevil during the 80s and The Watchmen for example. Marvel recognizes this and has been doing that for quite awhile. I honestly do not think Marvel is treating the economic perils our nation is facing in a light hearted manner with such a big event. But like Brevoort said, "Now, here's the good news," he grinned. "We're talking about the Marvel Universe." That sums it up perfectly. How many of us wouldn't wish for superhuman strength, speed, etc., if it were possible to help out friends and family? We would in an instant. Just look what is happening in SoCal.

The character design for the "god of fear" is just awesome. I think it may be Phorcys because of the snakes but I really don't know.

I have to agree with Brother Justin Crowe's post about despotic governments and why hasn't Marvel done anything. To me the Punisher taking out these guys is a perfect fit. Set up a trade for each government he takes out. Bada bing bada boom.

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Well with DC not having a big event beyond Flash Point and the Green Lantern things , I think Marvel timed this well even wise. I do like the plugs of "Fear Itself".
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

It seems that the talk of less line wide events by Marvel was nothing more than lip service to placate the retailers who have been complaining of event overkill. The retailers who are getting stuck with too many of Marvel's books they can't sell or return. But as Marvel has already been paid for those books and counts them as sales, it seems they don't think that it is their problem. But with Diamond's current status, the recent faltering of certain long-established comic shops or their failure to stock all such crossovers anymore, and the general decline in circulation as evidenced in recent sales estimates, it leads me to question the long term health of the DM and the comic industry by extension.

I wonder how many of these new Fear books will be priced at $3.99?

In short, I don't think Marvel is doing a favor for anyone by putting out yet another event. Not even for themselves. It is like event stories are heroin and these guys are junkies who just can't stop shooting up, even when they know they need to stop or they will die. It is sad to watch.

I find it strange that the bigger an event that is announced, the more people on the forum say that they'll be ignoring it, despite the fact that this never happens.

"In 'Civil War,' the X-Men sort of opted out. In this, they don't have the luxury of opting out," Alonso told CBR. "As the X-Men group editor, I'm champing at the bit to get them more integrated in the Marvel Universe, and they will be in a major way here. They brokered a deal in 'Civil War,' so [their absence] was as simple as that. But they're going to be involved in a big way in 'Fear Itself.'"
    man, if the somebody opting out in Civil War was a 3 issue miniseries what will the opting in look like?

this one's going to be... sprawling.

As a fan of Phobos, and as he is someone who is hinted at not being permanently dead, I hope he doesn't get brushed aside for this.

Quote Originally Posted by sparticus View Post
    As a fan of Phobos, and as he is someone who is hinted at not being permanently dead, I hope he doesn't get brushed aside for this.
    Do you mean the original Phobos or the newer one? As I recall, the latest Phobos is still alive and kicking, but his dad is dead.

That god of fear, looks like and aged and angry phobos, that grew some snake hair on.
    Just give it all

Rob Anybody. Crivens! Blackknight75's Avatar

Hmmm, looking at the teaser image of who will be involved with 'Fear Itself', can we surmise that Ben Grimm will not be the one to die in the current FF '3' story arc?

And why is Dracula standing amongst the assembled group of heroes? I know vampires fear a lot of things, so can we expect to see the debut of Marvel's newest hero, Jesus: The Vampire Slayer?

I guess this is what was hinted at on the large cocktail napkin in Avengers #5. Either the 'Who is Worhty' or 'Fear without the Man' teaser.

A few predictions, just going off the teaser image.

This event will either make or break the marriage between Panther and Storm. Panther will have to choose between being King of Wakanda or Husband of Storm, but he can't have both.

Scott Summers will end up leaving the X-Men and the Utopia Island. We may even see a break up between Scott and Emma, as Scott refuses to compromise on one of his few remaining ideals.

A final resolution between Steve and Bucky over who gets to be Captain America. Bucky will make a decision that will make him, in the eyes of Steve, unworthy to carry the Shield.

A new personality change in the Hulk. Perhaps this event will bring about the deaths of some of his extended family. He may actually end up joining an Avengers team, not wanting to be alone anymore.

Ben Grimm will finally leave what remains of the Fantastic Four, leaving Johnny Storm in charge to create a team.

Asgard will be rebuilt and re-established in the fabric of the Nine Realms, but probably not in its original position.

The God of Fear will be revealed to be an already established character of the Marvel Universe. Odin? Vulcan? Blackbolt? The Void? Loki? Phobos? Thanos? Peter Quill? Evil Lord Mar-Vell?

I think what puts off a lot of readers about a new 'Event' is the number of tie-ins, one-shots and mini-series that get produced along the way. Now I know we are told that we don't have to collect everything, that even if you just follow the main story, you will get everything you need to have a satisfying story. While that may have been somewhat true of Siege, the same couldn't be said Secret Invasion. Norman Osborn comes out of no-where to take down the Skrull Queen? Does this make any sense if you've just been reading the main SI series? But if you just happen to have been reading the new Deadpool series, and also collecting the current crop of Thunderbolts books by Warren Ellis and Christos Gage, then yes.

But at the other hand you don't want to be telling a massive story with potential repurcussions and plot threads that has zero impact on the rest of the Marvel Universe, much like Kurt Busiek's Kang War in the Avengers book. Over a year in the telling, but not one other title got in on the story. End result, it felt like the Kang War never happened. As quickly as it started, it was resolved, and everyone moved on to the next story.

I think there can be a middle ground established. Given that this 'Fear Itself' will go for, at least, 7 months, then perhaps a minimal amount of one-shots and tie-ins need to be produced, just to show what this Event is doing to the rest of the Marvel Universe. Or make the one-shots bigger, 64 pages, and that way we won't need the padded out/decompressed mini-series.
    Last edited by Blackknight75; 12-21-2010 at 04:02 PM.