Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: "Wonder Woman" Lassoes Hester

Incoming series writer Phil Hester told CBR News that his goal during the course of his run on "Wonder Woman" is to firmly re-establish the Amazon princess in the upper echelon of comic book heroes.

Full article here.

Somewhat Wondie-obsessed CarolStrick's Avatar

Nice interview. Hair rising at the following statements:

"I want to write her as the personification of justice in the DCU."
    "She will definitely be seen in berserker mode from time to time, but she will also learn the limits of this approach and how she must grow past it to become the heroine she must be."

As usual, we shall wait and see what develops.

Twelve hours over 6 issues? She's really becoming adapted to flying.
    Greg Rucka is a strong independent black woman who don't need no man.-LETO

Hester sounds like he's got a great approach to the character. I'm excited about Wonder Woman again for the first time in a long time.

Liked: "To me she's DC's Silver Surfer; Noble, righteous, powerful, out of place with modern society, cast out of paradise, but ultimately, deeply humane."

Disliked: "I'm not sure I'd want to go into battle in a one piece bathing suit."

Tsk tsk. You do if you're Wonder Woman.
    Last edited by Fused; 12-20-2010 at 09:22 AM.

I like Hester's work a lot, Firebreather being a personal favorite. I highly enjoyed Gail's run on Wonder Woman, even though it seems to me like it was cut short and she didn't get to finish out what she had planned. But I have no real desire to read Phil Hester's J. Michael Straczynski's Wonder Woman.
    Robert Eddleman
    Panels on Pages

I am excited by some of his comments. Someone really does need to write the definitive Wonder Woman tale and it'd be awesome if hester could deliver.

But this following JMS' notes thing sucks. Man he made a mess of things. They should just wrap that up as well as they could ASAP and let them do their own thing. Pretty sure folks would prefer it that way.

Dark Knight Detective DarkKnghtJared's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pizawle View Post
    But this following JMS' notes thing sucks. Man he made a mess of things. They should just wrap that up as well as they could ASAP and let them do their own thing. Pretty sure folks would prefer it that way.
    Well, from the sounds of it the notes left enough room for interpretation that Hester could probably finish the story AND do his own thing at the same time.

Look on the bright side... if word of mouth is good and sales stay moderately up, Hester could be on post-JMS notes and get to tell his own stories. I really hope he stays on, I'm really looking forward to 605 and onward, more than I was for JMS' actual run.
    "Kryptonite-laced nail polish. Isn't it too divine? Under all that steel, just a man."
    -- Cheetah, Batman: The Brave and the Bold

Loves the ignore button jason_w's Avatar

Wednesday can't get here soon enough!!

Quote Originally Posted by CarolStrick View Post
    "She will definitely be seen in berserker mode from time to time, but she will also learn the limits of this approach and how she must grow past it to become the heroine she must be."
    Someone's going to be removing Diana's bracelets?

Son of Baldwin: The literary, sociopolitical, psychosexual, pop cultural blog. Live from Bedford-Stuyvesant.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Incoming series writer Phil Hester told CBR News that his goal during the course of his run on "Wonder Woman" is to firmly re-establish the Amazon princess in the upper echelon of comic book heroes.

Full article here.
    Doesn't every writer who takes on Diana want to re-establish her as one of the top tier characters in the industry?

Honestly people, Wonder Woman hasn't been in that category for decades, and its not likely to change no matter the writer.

He compares her to the Silver Surfer, another of my favorite characters, and its an apt comparison, because he is another great character that is a tough sell for a lot of readers.
    Frozen people can't concentrate, they are frozen.

Exploded people can't concentrate, they've been blown up.

- Pendaran

So he's looking to tell the definitive Wonder Woman story that defines the character for a modern audience?

Good. Because he's certainly the first creative person to declare that aspiration for the series. Nobody has uttered those words when talking about WW before.

Looking forward to what Phil does, although I'm more looking forward to what he would do if he stays on beyond "Odyssey."

I don't know a lot about Silver Surfer to judge that comparison, but I like his perspective on Diana and think he has a strong enough understanding of her to have a successful go with the character. I would love to see that "definitive" Wonder Woman epic that's eluded fans for so many years.

Quote Originally Posted by 4PointOh View Post
    Someone's going to be removing Diana's bracelets?

Don't be silly, when you remove Nu-Diana's bracelets she calms down.

Phil said some interesting stuff there, looking forward to seeing how his take develops.
    Ted Kord said it best