Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: BEHIND BUFFY SEASON 8: "Last Gleaming"

As Twilight falls on Dark Horse's "Buffy: Season 8," co-writer Scott Allie and artist Georges Jeanty tackle the shocking events of the penultimate issue #39 including the death of a major character and plans for "Season 9."

Full article here.

American at the Crossroad
    This weird geometrically shaped place in northern VA...

Am I the only one who felt that about halfway through (maybe right around the inane Harmony gets her own reality show idea) this series, it became something of a convoluted mess? I mean, the whole Twilight reveal and motivation, and Spike with space bugs, and this final battle has all seemed so scattered and..."off." I recently reread every issue and there's a definite point where it just loses me, not in terms of lacking in understanding, but rather in just the execution of the big ideas, particularly since Meltzer's Twilight arc. And the art in the last issue seemed so rushed that it was hard telling what was happening half the time. I really hope it wraps up well.

And much like how CBR spoiled the fact that Angel was Twilight on the front page, they now spoil Angel killing the Master right on the front page. And inside the article? A warning that there are spoilers ahead.

You're a comic book site and you seriously think everyone would have had a chance to read a book shortly after it releases? You really couldn't have done this article without using THAT panel?

Absolutely embarrassing journalism.

Quote Originally Posted by charlesjbaserap View Post
    Am I the only one who felt that about halfway through (maybe right around the inane Harmony gets her own reality show idea) this series, it became something of a convoluted mess? I mean, the whole Twilight reveal and motivation, and Spike with space bugs, and this final battle has all seemed so scattered and..."off." I recently reread every issue and there's a definite point where it just loses me, not in terms of lacking in understanding, but rather in just the execution of the big ideas, particularly since Meltzer's Twilight arc. And the art in the last issue seemed so rushed that it was hard telling what was happening half the time. I really hope it wraps up well.
    You aren't the only one. I no longer know why any character in this book is doing what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoVGM View Post
    And much like how CBR spoiled the fact that Angel was Twilight on the front page, they now spoil Angel killing the Master right on the front page. And inside the article? A warning that there are spoilers ahead.

You're a comic book site and you seriously think everyone would have had a chance to read a book shortly after it releases? You really couldn't have done this article without using THAT panel?

Absolutely embarrassing journalism.
    Yeah they spoiled the twilight reveal, but the Master dying happened a couple weeks ago in the last issue. And the biggest spoiler wasn't revealed on the main page, but in the article.

Quote Originally Posted by MagSeven View Post
    Yeah they spoiled the twilight reveal, but the Master dying happened a couple weeks ago in the last issue. And the biggest spoiler wasn't revealed on the main page, but in the article.
    It was only a week ago. In this day and age, people have backlogs. It's understandable if it's something unavoidable like the death of Captain America (when Yahoo News puts it on their front page, it's fair game). But I think a little more respect for the readers would be nice, especially after they already did it once in this book (to a worse extent, granted).

Not comics, it's Vertigo. noh-varr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MagSeven View Post
    You aren't the only one. I no longer know why any character in this book is doing what they are doing.
    Really the book feels more like fan fic then a real in continuity "season". I don't understand why anyone is doing anything in the series, well except Xander. He's about the only character who is staying pretty much to his core.
    Noh-Varr Reviews: The Silence of Our Friends by Mark Long, Jim Demonakos, and Nate Powell.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoVGM View Post
    It was only a week ago. In this day and age, people have backlogs. It's understandable if it's something unavoidable like the death of Captain America (when Yahoo News puts it on their front page, it's fair game). But I think a little more respect for the readers would be nice, especially after they already did it once in this book (to a worse extent, granted).
    cool, cool. I see your point, but since I read the issue last week, I wasn't spoiled by that panel and the art in that panel makes the master look a bit like one of those super-vampires they fought at the end of the tv series. But you're right, they should be a bit less frivolous in their main page reveals.

Quote Originally Posted by noh-varr View Post
    Really the book feels more like fan fic then a real in continuity "season". I don't understand why anyone is doing anything in the series, well except Xander. He's about the only character who is staying pretty much to his core.
    Ditto. At first I was excited, & slightly worried when season 8 was announced. The show had an almost perfect ending imo. Season 8 started off with some good things going for it but by the Harmony one shot it felt like everything jumped the shark as much as something about fighting against supernatural force can. The only person I've enjoyed seeing again was Faith who had a decent arc only to be wasted towards the end of things.
    Oh, no doubt. I mean, when a chick blows up a damn planet, you can't just say "the lord works in mysterious ways!" on that $4it.

I'm feeling quite ambivalent about following Season 9 at this point. Although the proposed shorter series length might be in its favour, if it offers the opportuninty for a more focused central storyline.

Gallifrey endures. blackphoenix's Avatar

Question What's goin' ON, man????

Join the club, man.

I dug where it was going when Buffy gained superpowers(what did she have before, normal powers? LoL), but the second they hit that stupid sex issue, nothing made any sense anymore. It's like someone's playing Mad Libs: The Buffy Edition. "Spike suddenly came riding in on a (creature) and then it turned out that (villain) was actually(Buffy significant other)" Convoluted mess doesn't even begin to describe it. And as to the death in this issue...UGH, why couldn't they have killed Dawn?

EDIT: Harmony sucks, no pun intended.
    Last edited by blackphoenix; 12-11-2010 at 07:59 AM.
    Thus do I write the first chapter of my new scripture. And the first verse is "Let it all burn."

PHOENIX INVICTUS!

Goodbye no-lifers ;) tornshattered's Avatar

No, you're not the only one. I feel like the book started spiralling down after the third arc. I think Joss lost what used to make Buffy so appealing to the audience(in this case, readers) - reality of it all. I think the strongest arc of this book was No Future For You(Faith arc). The characters have also lost the appeal. Buffy lost it way back in season 7, when she became GI Jane. Xander's now snogging Dawn(really?!). The only character that stayed true to himself was Giles. spoilers:
    And he is dead now.
    end of spoilers

Maybe if they rebooted the universe and made Buffy the only slayer again, the show(book) would get back to its glory days? What do you think?

Willow got screwed. Xander and Dawn creep me the hell out. The death. I keep reading these articles looking for a reason to keep reading and honestly I think I can say I'm done with this for good this time.
    I'm crushing your head fanboy! I'm crushing your head!

Firefly, still flying! DjMichael691's Avatar

Nope you are not the only one at all!! I read the issue and found myself saying wtf is going on several times. I am very skeptical about getting S09. Let's hope that Joss Whedon will only start it when he has completely finished the Avengers so that he is not distracted and we can get the quality back up.
    You can't stop the signal.

Gallifrey endures. blackphoenix's Avatar

Thumbs down

I can't imagine how any of this can be resolved or wrapped up next issue. This seems like the final end of the series! The only way this can all be resolved in my mind is if Buffy wakes up and everything since the sex issue was a dream...well, that and the stupid Xander/Dawn relationship...creepy much? What is she, 12???
    Thus do I write the first chapter of my new scripture. And the first verse is "Let it all burn."

PHOENIX INVICTUS!