Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: "Walking Dead" Rides Ratings High At End

Surprising very few viewers at this point, AMC's adaptation of Robert Kirkman and company's "The Walking Dead" gained [em]again[/em] in the ratings race as its final episode of the year debuted on Sunday night.

Full article here.

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

It basically ended on a high and has these people on the run. Gonna get the DVD when it comes out soon.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

That's double Mad Men's ratings. I doubt even AMC expected that.

Thumbs up walking dead

cool!! will have to check it out!!

Mark J. Hayman

..."The Walking Dead" again earned its highest ratings yet, with six millions viewers logging in for its live debut Sunday night.
    Heh. I'm reminded of the Simpson's episode where Homer is informed that Itchy & Scratchy isn't a live show because of the strain on the animators wrists... But I get what you meant to say.

Most of the criticism I've read so far has been unfavourable, which is interesting. The episode did exactly what was required, having explored then definitively closing a significant plot element that remains missing from the book. True, the acting tended to overwrought, but the most grievous example, Shane & Lori's conflict, was at this stage a sub-plot and didn't intrude on the central theme (which would be despair for anyone counting). Not being familiar with Sarah Wayne Callies' body of work, I don't know if her bug-eyed hysteria is typical for her as an actor or something else; either way, she seems to be the weakest link.

We all know what Jenner whispered to Rick, right? "Your wife is pregnant."

Though far from perfect, "TS-19" was a fitting and reasonable series one denouement. It even had me guessing at one point. While it seemed highly unlikely, I had to wonder for a few minutes whether it was curtains for Andrea and Dale, if not from within the complex then without as the seconds ticked down.

If nothing else, spoilers:
    it seems less likely that Rick & co. will be gullible enough to follow a high-school science teacher masquerading as a government expert to the "safety" of Washington, DC. I mean, unless that's what Jenner whispered: "get to DC." Which would at least obviate the group being gulled into it by a faux "expert"; should they meet Mr. Science, he's going to have to have more than a radio to make his case, with or without batteries.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 12-06-2010 at 06:23 PM. Reason: [spoil][/spoil] tags

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mjhayman View Post
    Heh. I'm reminded of the Simpson's episode where Homer is informed that Itchy & Scratchy isn't a live show because of the strain on the animators wrists... But I get what you meant to say.

Most of the criticism I've read so far has been unfavourable, which is interesting. The episode did exactly what was required, having explored then definitively closing a significant plot element that remains missing from the book. True, the acting tended to overwrought, but the most grievous example, Shane & Lori's conflict, was at this stage a sub-plot and didn't intrude on the central theme (which would be despair for anyone counting). Not being familiar with Sarah Wayne Callies' body of work, I don't know if her bug-eyed hysteria is typical for her as an actor or something else; either way, she seems to be the weakest link.

We all know what Jenner whispered to Rick, right? "Your wife is pregnant."

Though far from perfect, "TS-19" was a fitting and reasonable series one denouement. It even had me guessing at one point. While it seemed highly unlikely, I had to wonder for a few minutes whether it was curtains for Andrea and Dale, if not from within the complex then without as the seconds ticked down.

If nothing else, spoilers:
    it seems less likely that Rick & co. will be gullible enough to follow a high-school science teacher masquerading as a government expert to the "safety" of Washington, DC. I mean, unless that's what Jenner whispered: "get to DC." Which would at least obviate the group being gulled into it by a faux "expert"; should they meet Mr. Science, he's going to have to have more than a radio to make his case, with or without batteries.
    end of spoilers
    Well....

spoilers:
    I think its more likely Jenner whispered your wife is pregnet or...try to survive. The group is going on the road it seems. Also the science guy doesn't show up til way later in the series.
    end of spoilers
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Well....

spoilers:
    I think its more likely Jenner whispered your wife is pregnet or...try to survive. The group is going on the road it seems. Also the science guy doesn't show up til way later in the series.
    end of spoilers
    Why would that need to be whispered?
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Eddard Stark's other bastard

"Metaphors? I hate metaphors! That's why my favorite book is Moby Dick. No frou-frou symbolism, just a good simple tale about a man who hates an animal." ~Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    Why would that need to be whispered?
    Doctor/Patient Confidentiality.

Anything didn't really have to be whispered, just a moment that left the audience guessing or gave the comic book followers an easter egg.

I was afraid they were going to have Dr. Jenner as the scientist who created the virus and felt obligated to find the cure. The way the writers took it was amazingly well done.

I'm interested to see where the second season goes with new writers. That's still got me scratching my head about all the firings, but still crossing the fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo2113 View Post
    Doctor/Patient Confidentiality.

Anything didn't really have to be whispered, just a moment that left the audience guessing or gave the comic book followers an easter egg.
    My point is that something that doesn't need to be whispered kind of rules it out of what was whispered. And Kirkman has said that the subject of the whisper will be something that they deal with in the next season.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Eddard Stark's other bastard

"Metaphors? I hate metaphors! That's why my favorite book is Moby Dick. No frou-frou symbolism, just a good simple tale about a man who hates an animal." ~Ron Swanson

Mark J. Hayman

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Well....

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    Oh, I agree, that's the most likely scenario.

I didn't cloak that paragraph as it seemed to me that the impetus for that story arc has been effectively torpedoed, though I can see that an offhand mention of the broad outline might be taken as a spoiler; in my defense, it's such a long, long ways off, the two or three people who might have read it who aren't already in the know will have long forgotten my transgression. As I can't stand cloaked "spoilers" and rarely read them (entirely out of sloth), it wouldn't knowingly occur to me to have included information that I felt genuinely required the treatment, so I apologize for any possible upset.

Speaking in circles is my usual way of avoiding trouble. Like this: seeing that Shane has begun to lose his grip and jealousy is seeping in through the bulkheads, the relationship he otherwise would have enjoyed with a certain character back at the camp - or out in the woods, to be specific - merely seems to have been delayed and not jettisoned, allowing us to (continue to) look forward to a definitive development for that character. Woof!

DVD's out on March 8th, FYI.