Thread: Color Touch-Ups

Default Color Touch-Ups

I ran a across a person selling comics on the web and he was very detailed in his descriptions of the condition of the comics for sale. I was familiar with most of the terms he used such a Marvel Chipping and spine roll, etc.

However he sometimes used the phrase "Cover has minor color touch-ups". This is the first time I have seen this refered to.

What is a color touch-up and how is it done? Is this considered a plus or a minus in grading a comic?

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red Oak Kid View Post
    I ran a across a person selling comics on the web and he was very detailed in his descriptions of the condition of the comics for sale. I was familiar with most of the terms he used such a Marvel Chipping and spine roll, etc.

However he sometimes used the phrase "Cover has minor color touch-ups". This is the first time I have seen this refered to.

What is a color touch-up and how is it done? Is this considered a plus or a minus in grading a comic?
    It's considered a minus and the book gets slapped with a qualified grade because colour-touches are considered restoration.

As for the colour-touch itself, it's an attempt to 'cover up' a defect, such as a colour break in the spine, cover, or even a tear. Some amateur might whip out his acrylics, chalk or watercolours to add a dab of colour where there's a plain spot. Black areas of the cover are popular colour-touch spots. If it's minor, it can actually be removed but by someone way more professional.
    Last edited by Jezebel Bond; 12-03-2010 at 01:13 PM.
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Thank you for the explanation.

It amazes me that people would go to that length, but then I don't deal in high finance books.

I'm just in it for the nostalgia and the enjoyment of smelling the ink and mildew on the old newsprint issues.