Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: BPRD Hardcover

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Blazes View Post
    cant wait that long...

i breezed through vol 1 and 2 quick, was so good.
    Yeah...and it's amazing to see how all the little things add up!
    Guy's art notes really make this a treasure for me- and add to the caharcater's background: stuff like the original Black Flame having his own flying wing- a model of which adorns that Nazi memoribilia filled office at Zinco (and how long had that been there?).

Nice handle there- "Blue Blazes"- you a Nova fan?
    Tension, Apprehension, and Dissension have begun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Abbadon View Post
    Yeah...and it's amazing to see how all the little things add up!
    Guy's art notes really make this a treasure for me- and add to the caharcater's background: stuff like the original Black Flame having his own flying wing- a model of which adorns that Nazi memoribilia filled office at Zinco (and how long had that been there?).

Nice handle there- "Blue Blazes"- you a Nova fan?
    yes, since volume 2 in the early 90s and have since been collecting Novas major issues since.
    Marvel: ASM, Deadpool, Thor, Iron Man, etc
    DC: Batman and related, Green Lantern, The Flash, etc
    Omnibus wishlist: Classic Deadpool, Pak Hulk, Spider-Man 2099

Default Volume 3

It's on it's way:

Written by: Mike Mignola and John Arcudi
    Art by: Guy Davis
    Colours by: Dave Stewart
    Cover by: Mike Mignola
    On sale April 4, 2012
    Full colour, 448 pages
    $34.99
    Hardcover, 7" x 10"

Following the Bureau’s catastrophic encounter with the monster-god Katha-Hem, Kate heads to France with hopes of bringing Roger back to life, and Daimio reveals the truth about his death in the jungles of Bolivia. The coming frog apocalypse heats up as Abe meets a secret society of Victorian cyborgs with ties to his origins, and Liz's visions grow increasingly dire! From Hollow Earth to King of Fear—the entire war on frogs in four volumes!
    • Three Mignola trades in one hardcover!
    • Featuring the first appearances of Panya the mummy, Daryl the wendigo, and the origin story of Daimio!

Have i seen this cover before?

It looks like Mike drew it in 2007 because i can see the little number 7 in a little square on the bottom right hand side of the cover.

Its kind of weird for him to draw a cover and then only publish it 5 years latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jelio View Post
    Have i seen this cover before?

It looks like Mike drew it in 2007 because i can see the little number 7 in a little square on the bottom right hand side of the cover.

Its kind of weird for him to draw a cover and then only publish it 5 years latter.
    You have indeed. It's the cover for Killing Ground.

Wonder if that means that this is a temp cover, since the others both got new art I would assume that this volume would too.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinkie View Post
    Wonder if that means that this is a temp cover, since the others both got new art I would assume that this volume would too.
    I doubt it. I think this is just part of the price we pay to have Mike back as the ongoing Hellboy artist. I don't really mind the re-use. It fits next to the other volumes just fine and it didn't really need a new cover anyway. Besides, it's what's inside that counts.

After this "Year of Monsters" batch of covers, I think we will see very few Mignola covers, if any at all (aside from the trades, obviously). It's a shame, but as much as I love his covers, I infinitely prefer his sequential pages. They have a magic a cover can never truly capture or aspire to, and I have sorely missed them.

Bring on Hellboy in Hell!

Default Not final art

It's not the real cover for the book. The final cover will feature Daimio about this prominently, but it will be a new drawing. Mike will continue to do collection covers for the foreseeable future, though you'll see less and less of him on covers of regular issues, aside from these Year of Monsters covers, and the covers to the books he draws.

Happy to be wrong!

excellent, just pre-ordered at tales of wonder
    Marvel: ASM, Deadpool, Thor, Iron Man, etc
    DC: Batman and related, Green Lantern, The Flash, etc
    Omnibus wishlist: Classic Deadpool, Pak Hulk, Spider-Man 2099

Got a box from amazon today, BPRD omnibuses vol. 1 & 2, Hellboy 10 and 11, and House of the living dead. This will be my first initiation in the BPRD and super excited. Not much else to add, but I don't get in on the hellboy board often since I read in trade and I wanted to express my joy :D not sure what the plan for BPRD volumes that aren't plague of frogs are in terms of the hardcovers (the 1940s books, being human, and the hell on earth stuff) but I'll worry about that when I come to it.
    Reading this week: The Unwritten: On to Genesis, Hellblazer: Scab, Mountaingirl collection

Quote Originally Posted by mushroom2703 View Post
    Got a box from amazon today, BPRD omnibuses vol. 1 & 2, Hellboy 10 and 11, and House of the living dead. This will be my first initiation in the BPRD and super excited. Not much else to add, but I don't get in on the hellboy board often since I read in trade and I wanted to express my joy :D not sure what the plan for BPRD volumes that aren't plague of frogs are in terms of the hardcovers (the 1940s books, being human, and the hell on earth stuff) but I'll worry about that when I come to it.
    I'm sure they'll be collected eventually, it's just a matter of timing.

When you've finished those omnibuses, come back and let us know what you think!

Got volume 1 and 2 for Xmas, time to catch up...these look great!

I've got both so far, and they're well worth the effort needed to read them ('cos they're so darned big!)

I want to ask a dumb question, though. I'm still fairly new to Mignolaverse (this is said by she who has both B.P.R.D. omnibuses so far, the first 8 volumes of Hellboy, and some other stuff), so is it just wise for me to wait for each collection to come out and not race ahead? So I'd be waiting for Plague of Frogs 3, then 4, then the 1946-48 collection someone mentioned, then Hell on Earth and so on, just to keep some sort of continuity going? Or could I, for example, get Exorcism when it comes out this year and not miss too much?

If I'm "supposed" to wait, I'll just catch up on Hellboy, start Witchfinder and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    I've got both so far, and they're well worth the effort needed to read them ('cos they're so darned big!)

I want to ask a dumb question, though. I'm still fairly new to Mignolaverse (this is said by she who has both B.P.R.D. omnibuses so far, the first 8 volumes of Hellboy, and some other stuff), so is it just wise for me to wait for each collection to come out and not race ahead? So I'd be waiting for Plague of Frogs 3, then 4, then the 1946-48 collection someone mentioned, then Hell on Earth and so on, just to keep some sort of continuity going? Or could I, for example, get Exorcism when it comes out this year and not miss too much?

If I'm "supposed" to wait, I'll just catch up on Hellboy, start Witchfinder and so on.
    That's a tough question. The further you get into BPRD and Hellboy the more continuity heavy it gets. So I would not recommend jumping ahead and reading Russia, The Long Death or The Devil's Engine. Those stories are all dealing with the continuing story of the core BPRD cast. However Exorcism, The Pickens County Horror and The Transformation of J.H. O'Donnell are all side stories dealing with secondary cast memebers (like Ashley Strode). These stories are something new to the BPRD line, so I can't really say much about them until I've read them. At this point, I would assume that they can stand alone, but I could be wrong about that. I think it'd be fine to read Exorcism.

As for the omnibus collections, only Plague of Frogs volumes 1-4 are planned at this point. 1946-1948 is just speculation (personally I think it will happen, but 1948 doesn't even have a release date yet, so this collection is a long way off if it happens at all). As for Hell on Earth, there are no collections planned. Scott Allie has said that they won't even begin thinking about that until the entire Hell on Earth arc is finished (There's really no point until he knows how many books there will be). John Arcudi has said that Hell on Earth will run at least as long as Plague of Frogs and that ran for twelve trades. So if you choose to wait for the omnibus collections, you will be waiting at least three years, almost certainly more.

The omnibus collections are definitely the best way to collect these stories, but it requires a hell of a lot of patience. I can last until the trades and that's it.

That's the best answer I can give, I'm afraid.