Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: BPRD Hardcover

A friend of mine just got her copy. It was in excellent condition, thankfully. Dark Horse has done an amazing job with this collection.

One thing I was sad to see missing was the story notes. I always enjoy reading Mike's little explanations about each story where it was originally published and stuff like that. It's a small quibble about a truly spectacular book. I cannot praise these editions enough.

I received my copy a few weeks ago but haven't read since I was waiting on HB volumes 5-7 to arrive as well. (I'm holding out on reading them until my birthday, sort of a reward of sorts.) Now I'm going to have to re-check the spine on it.

I just found this forum the other day, I have to say it really cool to see people like Christopher Golden and Scott Allie answer peoples questions and post stuff!

I just recieved my copy today from amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...stRecentReview

My amazon reviews, check them out sometime!

Is there a preliminary date on when the second and third hardcovers are going to be released? I'm really interested in picking this up, but I would hate to have to wait a long time to continue the stories.

I think they are going be coming out quite rapidly, but I'm really not sure. We're definitely getting Volume 2 this year.

Quote Originally Posted by jabrams007 View Post
    Is there a preliminary date on when the second and third hardcovers are going to be released? I'm really interested in picking this up, but I would hate to have to wait a long time to continue the stories.
    Ditto.

I'm hoping these come out quicker than the HC Library Editions of HB.

so this one volume contains every issue from hollow earth- king of fear? the myspace presents and back ups also? oneshots like ectoplasmic man/ war on frogs?
    northlanders .american vampire. bprd. concrete. detective comics.

Quote Originally Posted by daveageallen View Post
    so this one volume contains every issue from hollow earth- king of fear? the myspace presents and back ups also? oneshots like ectoplasmic man/ war on frogs?
    No. BRPD Plague of Frogs is four volumes. The four volumes will collect the BPRD trade paperbacks 1-8, 10-12, and 14 (Everything collected in the current trades minus the material in Volume 9: 1946 and Volume 13: 1947). BPRD Plague of Frogs: Volume 1 includes all the material from the first three BPRD trade paperbacks.

I assume when the Hell on Earth saga is complete, there will be hardcover collections of that too. I also assume there will be a volume called BPRD 1946-1948 at some point too. None of this has been confirmed though, this is just me speculating.

As for The Ectoplasmic Man, it hasn't been collected in a trade yet (though it will be late this year or more likely early next year), so it being collected in hardcover is still a long way off. Still, if the BPRD Plague of Frogs hardcover collections are successful, I don't see any reason to doubt that it will one day get the hardcover treatment.

But the Hellboy Universe is very kind to fans. All in-continuity stories get collected eventually, it's just a matter of time. And there's no sign of that ever changing. I really don't know why there are always people worried that some story they love isn't going to be collected. I assume they've been burned by other less considerate publishers.

Even the most obscure stories How Koshchei Became Deathless and Baba Yaga's Feast, neither of which fit comfortably under the banner of any of the current Hellboy Universe trades, will eventually be collected. Apparently Mike Mignola and Scott Allie have a long term plan for those ones, so you'll have to be very patient. The backups will not be forgotten!
    Last edited by Middenway; 03-02-2011 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Clarification

Thumbed through the hardcover, but passed on it. Nothing against the book per se, but the idea of triple-dipping (if you count that I already own the comics and most of the TPB's) is just...UGH. Not to mention that the sketchbook content mirrors what's in the TPB's, so nothing new there to entice either. All-in-all I'd say I'm not overly impressed with the first of these, but I'll see if any improvements are made down the road and possibly make a purchase at a later date.

I NEED THE NEXT ONE TO COME OUT ALREADY!

I just caught up to the latest HB volume. Now I'm stuck playing the waiting game on the next BPRD HC. I would just start buying the trades but my OCD won't let me.

I have them in muy wishlist on Book Depository. Release dates given for these are:--

Hellboy Library Edition Vol. 4: July 19th 2011
    B.P.R.D.: Plague of Frogs Omnibus Vol. 2: September 20th 2011

Hope that helps!

According to John Arcudi, the plan with the BPRD hardcovers is to continue releasing them roughly every 8-9 months. So expect volume 3 about June 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    According to John Arcudi, the plan with the BPRD hardcovers is to continue releasing them roughly every 8-9 months. So expect volume 3 about June 2012.
    cant wait that long...

i breezed through vol 1 and 2 quick, was so good.
    Marvel: ASM, Deadpool, Thor, Iron Man, etc
    DC: Batman and related, Green Lantern, The Flash, etc
    Omnibus wishlist: Classic Deadpool, Pak Hulk, Spider-Man 2099

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    Damn! The 2nd one came out 7 months after the 1st, I was hoping they were shooting for 6-7 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_H View Post
    Damn! The 2nd one came out 7 months after the 1st, I was hoping they were shooting for 6-7 months.
    Well, John Arcudi did admit that he doesn't know that much about the release plan. This was his estimate. He said Scott Allie would know for sure. The way JA was speaking about it he seemed pretty sure that Hell on Earth hardcovers would follow since the output of material would be rising so dramatically soon. I'm guessing there will be a 1946-1948 hardcover soon too. I hope Witchfinder, Abe Sapien and Lobster Johnson one day make it in this format too. It'd be nice for all the Hellboy universe stuff to be in a library edition or hardcover omnibuses.