Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Carl Barks

Quote Originally Posted by shaxper View Post
    Really, all I did was hear about the original volume's description, run to ebay, see the Gemstone volumes, and then reasonably assume that there was only one "Carl Barks Library," and these were therefore the volumes I'd heard described.

Again, sorry for the confusion.
    No worries.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...stRecentReview

My amazon reviews, check them out sometime!

Default carl barks library of walt disney's donald duck

Quote Originally Posted by emb021 View Post
    Ok, this is off the top of my head.

The first attempt at doing a comprehensive collection of Carl Barks stuff, was the large hardback collections by Another Rainbow under the "Carl Barks Library" name. These are all in black & white.

Later, Gladstone did several series of color softcover albums (wouldn't call them trade paperbacks, like the collections most people are aware of today, these are thinner, more in the line of european style comic albums). I think these were also under the rubric of the "Carl Barks Library". There was a series on Donald Duck Adventures, another on Uncle Scrooge Adventures, and another on Walt Disney Comics & Stories (shorter stuff), with shorter series on Gyro Gearloose and some other stuff. They also did a short series (4-5 albums) of Don Rosa's early Duck work.

Since then, am not aware of any trying to do any comprehensive reprint series in the US. Gemstone, before they went under, was about to embark on a series of hardback books reprinting all of Don Rosa's duck work.

I would think that with all the other classic comic book and comic strip reprints out there that someone would want to do a new Barks &/or Rosa collection.

I couldn't afford the AR series when it came out, and could barely afford the later stuff (I think I got the DDA and most of the WDCS and short series, but not the USA stuff). So I would be open to a new reprint series.

Eeeh... Is it that priceless? I'm trying to quit my habit on comics and have the first set of AR.

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com...te-carl-barks/

Fantagraphics reprinting all his work!!

Quote Originally Posted by gryhpon View Post

WOAH.

I wonder if they're seriously going to reprint all the WDC&S stories, though. That's going to make for a lot of $25 volumes full of largely run-of-the-mill 10 page gag stories. There were some classics in that run, to be sure, but it's not going to garner sales the way his other stuff will.

I wish this set had been announced six years ago when I first started buying up vintage Barks issues for a small fortune. The collection is nearly complete outside of the WDC&S issues now, so I really don't need these volumes anymore

Even though I probably have most of these stories in one place or another, I absolutely cannot pass up this good of a deal. It's in hardback, in color, and a reasonable price too.

And shaxper, no offense, but I really believe "gag stories" is a misnomer for the WDC&S material. They certainly are not (and could not) be as complex tales as the longer stories, but they are definitely not what I think of when I hear the phrase "gag stories."
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

Wuh--- not Boom!? not even Marvel? But Fantagraphics? Whodathunkit?

I. Must. Have. Them.

Two per year is a fantastic frequency. (That said, for me to have all 30 volumes, that means I'll be 56 when they've finished...)

Quote Originally Posted by shaxper View Post
    WOAH.

I wonder if they're seriously going to reprint all the WDC&S stories, though. That's going to make for a lot of $25 volumes full of largely run-of-the-mill 10 page gag stories. There were some classics in that run, to be sure, but it's not going to garner sales the way his other stuff will.

I wish this set had been announced six years ago when I first started buying up vintage Barks issues for a small fortune. The collection is nearly complete outside of the WDC&S issues now, so I really don't need these volumes anymore

If you read further down in the article they're planning to reprint all of Barks' Duck work. They're going about it in an interesting way though, starting with 1948 and "Lost in the Andes." I like the move to start with some of the best stuff and then fill in later on after people are hooked.

These will certainly be on my "to-buy" list.

Quote Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
    Two per year is a fantastic frequency. (That said, for me to have all 30 volumes, that means I'll be 56 when they've finished...)
    You're lucky; I'll be 75.

But maybe that will be incentive for me to, uh, not die.
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

Awesome news.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.

And either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives.

That will be a must-have!
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
    You're lucky; I'll be 75.

But maybe that will be incentive for me to, uh, not die.
    I will be 36. In the prime of life.

I will be 36. In the prime of life.
    It probably won't feel like the prime of your life when you get there
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

This is the collection of classic material I have been waiting for. For some people it's Popeye, Peanuts or Dick Tracy. For me, it's these Carl Barks stories.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.

And either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives.

Whoa. Over the past year I've been hearing of this guy and his excellent work, but frustrated that his stuff was only avaliable in a billion different reprints with most out of print, ect.

Then this happens!

Clearly, I made this happen. I'm magic.

The Stargate Sorcerer Hintermann's Avatar

It would be very hard to find full collections mow but E-bay or iOffer are always there. ALL og Bark's tales are covered in 3 superb collections.

1. There is a full CARL BARKS LIBRARY of Donald Duck 10-pagers from Walt Disney's Comics & Stories series. 25 volumes of 5 stores each in chronological order from Galdstone and in high-quality large format with colour pictures.

2. There is a similar CARL BARKS UNCLE SCROOGE collection, all the long and most short adventures in a collection of 58 colour voulmes of the same quality, also in chonological order from Gladstone.

3. I am also sure that there is a similar collection for all Carl Barks' Doanld Duck long stories but I cannot recall the title.