Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Marvel movie crossover confusion

Nick Fury/Tony Stark/someone from the Marvel Movieverse to turn up in any of the movies featuring marvel characters not own by Marvel?

Like the upcoming Spider-Man, Ghost Rider 2 and so on?

Just wondering about the effects, positive or negative for folk not in the know.

Will it create confusion and thus put people off going to see superhero flicks?

Will it create more bums in seats with the expectation (realised or not)?

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

i think most would just know him as Samuel Jackson.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Even if they go in expecting a Nick Fury kind of easter egg I doubt they'd be upset or confused when they don't see them. I mean they're just fun surprises but you don't need them, so I don't think it will effect the movies.

The general public doesn't even know what the "Marvel Universe" is. They are probably going to be floored when Iron Man, Captain America, Thor and the Hulk all show up in the same movie with a half dozen other characters. That will be most peoples introduction to the "Marvel Universe".

Ah I think I'm managing to see a point I lost in the original post lol

Do you think it will cause greater co-operation between the companies owning the other licenses if they think allowing Marvel to put, say Spider-Man in future Avengers movies?

Would it work?

Will a bit of public expectation create a New Avengers?

Sony's not going to give up the rights to Spidey in any way, shape or form unless there is some type of mafia style hit involved. So I wouldn't hold my breath if you are waiting to see Peter Parker trade quips with Tony Stark on the big screen.

BANNED

I'm sure I read some thing about the other companies/studios Marvel properties when Disney took over.

That if Disney feel the other companies (Fox, Sony etc) are not treating the properties with due respect Disney can claim them back or something like that. That's obviously just the cliff notes, but I definitely read something along those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bravery View Post
    I'm sure I read some thing about the other companies/studios Marvel properties when Disney took over.

That if Disney feel the other companies (Fox, Sony etc) are not treating the properties with due respect Disney can claim them back or something like that. That's obviously just the cliff notes, but I definitely read something along those lines.
    Disney may want them back, but the deals are pretty much locked in to where there is nothing they can do to get them back. As long as Sony and Fox are putting out movies they will keep the rights.
    McKenstry those with the most opinions often have the fewest facts.

Barack Obama There's not a liberal America and a conservative America - there's the United States of America.

Christopher Yost Cyclops = Awesome and Right, while Xavier = USELESS JERK-O! Viva la Cyclops!

Facts are the enemy of truth.

You gonna get us out of here. With that tight-ass Wolverine outfit on. Now, let's make it happen, asshole

YOST: Okay, it's not Jean Grey. Nobody likes her

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bravery View Post

I don't think it works like that at all, I'd love it if it did but it doesn't. Short of throwing millions and millions and millions of dollars on the table Disney/Marvel won't be getting the rights to Spider-man, FF, or the X-men anytime soon.

And I doubt we'll see them loaning characters out to each other to cross promote movies from competing studious either, that kind of cooperation just doesn't exist.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 12-01-2010 at 02:22 PM.

I think most movie contracts allow for a certain amount of movies to be made. I do know that Sonys Spider-Man contract requires them to make a film in a certain amount of time (Same with Superman I think) or the rights revert to Marvel (Not Disney, even if Disney owns Marvel).

If they gave Sony blank rights to make as many films as they want then Marvel deserves to never have the rights back for being that stupid.

Sits on the shelf! President Kang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DarkWarriorBlake View Post

If they gave Sony blank rights to make as many films as they want then Marvel deserves to never have the rights back for being that stupid.
    I'm almost certain that's how it went down when Marvel was bankrupt or something, they signed over Spidey and X-Men (and maybe FF & Daredevil too) to Sony and Fox "in perpetuity". As long as they keep makin' 'em, they hold on to them. Which is why Marvel started up Marvel studios, all the cake was going to Sony and Fox with a small amount for Marvel, so they decided to get into business for themselves with their assorted B-listers ala Iron Man and Hulk and Cap, etc.

Elder Member

I think most movie contracts allow for a certain amount of movies to be made. I do know that Sonys Spider-Man contract requires them to make a film in a certain amount of time (Same with Superman I think) or the rights revert to Marvel (Not Disney, even if Disney owns Marvel).
    At the time the deal was made Disney didn't own Marvel. Now, if/when the rights revert to Marvel, Disney will own them

I don't recall seeing anything that said that's what they did (which doesn't necessarily mean that's not what they did). As you note, there ars generally limits to rights deals like this. I think all that's really been reported is that if Sony or Fox let a certain amount of time go by without making a movie, the rights revert to Marvel automatically (basically a play or pay arrangement). I don't know that anything specific has been said about when the overall contractual agreement expires.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    The general public doesn't even know what the "Marvel Universe" is. They are probably going to be floored when Iron Man, Captain America, Thor and the Hulk all show up in the same movie with a half dozen other characters. That will be most peoples introduction to the "Marvel Universe".
    I think you'd be surprised, your forgetting there was a time people in the middle of nowhere could go to a gas station or news stand and find marvel comic books.

I know before I picked up my first spiderman comic I new who all the classic avengers were like, hawkeye, cap, quicksilver, scarlet witch, etc... , though I really had not clue as to what their back stories were, just knew them and recognized the good and bad guys.

Maybe folks younger than me might struggle because these characters are no longer staring them in the face at gas stations like they were when I was a kid, they actually have be looking for them now.

I am sure I read to in an article from about ten years ago in Entertainment magazine that Marvel pretty much sold The X-Men, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Daredevil and two other characters to stave off creditors.

I'm sure Disney has put out feelers to see what Sony and Fox would want to sell the Spidey and X-Men rights. And I'm sure the answer was "more fucking money than you could ever fill the Magic Kingdom with." I'm sure they've had lawyers look for loopholes in the contracts, but they apparently haven't found any.

Reportedly, Fox has even said that should they ever need to, they'll rush out a DVD film just to hold on to the rights.

The best we can hope for is that inter-company relations are good enough to allow for a cameo or easter egg here and there. Showing Cap reading a Daily Bugle, with Peter Parker's name on a photo, for instance.
    "Family Guy jumped the shark when i stopped getting high every time i watched it. " - Alex