Hybrid View

Default Spider-Writer Sundays: Roger Stern

Perhaps one of the greatest, most talked about writers in all of Spider-Man lore, Roger Stern left an indelible mark on the Spidey mythos. From such classics as "Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaught" to "The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man", Uncle Rog, as he is affectionately called by his fans, gave us many years of top notch stories on Amazing Spider-Man as well as Spectacular, and some Spidey mini-series.

My favorite Roger Stern contribution, as if you couldn't tell, was his introduction of the Hobgoblin. He is quite possibly one of the coolest villains of all time. I loved everything about him: He was always scheming, plotting, and being a lovable, yet nasty narcissist. And that's just scratching the surface. I could rant all day about how cool he is, but I do want to get this in on time and let you guys have your say.

I'd say the only downside to Mr.Stern's tenure is that he left Amazing too early, but that's not entirely his fault, as far as I know.

So what sayest you, the Spidey fans, about Roger Stern? Let the discussion commence!
    "Seriously, where's the Hobgoblin when you need him?"--Peter Parker, Amazing Spider-Man Annual #36

"I'm being ignored more than Roderick Kingsley"--Me.
    "Dorkiest joke ever. Use it at parties."--Steve Wacker (AKA J Jonah Wacker).

100% alive since 1978 Ben Smith's Avatar

Not just a great Spider-Man writer, Roger Stern was a great comic book writer, and one of my personal favorites.

But yes, I have much love for the Roger Stern Spider-Man run, and that original Hobgoblin saga.

To me, his best work is the thing he did in Peter Parker Spectacular Spider-Man, that is the most I recommend of his work

Best thing he wrote in Amazing Spider-Man is the Tarantula/Will O' The Wisp/Brand story, and the Foolkiller issue

The rest of his work is not less than very good. The thing I like the most he did recent years is the Giant Size Incredible Hulk with that dude working to write a book about the Hulk, showing him to be a hero

One of the most powerful things about the writing of Uncle Rog is he works to make less room for questions and confusion
    Blogger

I am obsessed with the idea of completely erasing Spider-Man from every Marvel continuity

One of the best there ever was. I think Stern got everything he tried to write beautifully, be it Spider-Man, the Avengers, Captain America, or Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by hangmanjury View Post
    One of the best there ever was. I think Stern got everything he tried to write beautifully, be it Spider-Man, the Avengers, Captain America, or Superman.
    Isn't that the truth? He adds a certain level of enjoyment to eveything he writes, and hasn't lost his touch. I loved his recent "Fill in the Blank" and "Something Can Stop the Juggernaut" stories in ASM.
    "Seriously, where's the Hobgoblin when you need him?"--Peter Parker, Amazing Spider-Man Annual #36

"I'm being ignored more than Roderick Kingsley"--Me.
    "Dorkiest joke ever. Use it at parties."--Steve Wacker (AKA J Jonah Wacker).

Roger Stern is one of the best Spider-Man writers. If I had to make a list it would be

Stan Lee
    Roger Stern
    DeMatteis
    myspace.com/artofsimplicity

I am an anarchist. Deal with it.

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...-the-beginning

Quote Originally Posted by hangmanjury View Post
    Hear, hear! Absolutely loved the intro of the Hobgoblin, with Spider-Man finally getting ticked off and punching out the window on that van that was supposed to be able to stand up to RPGs.

Quote Originally Posted by Billium 3 View Post
    Perhaps one of the greatest, most talked about writers in all of Spider-Man lore, Roger Stern left an indelible mark on the Spidey mythos. From such classics as "Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaught" to "The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man", Uncle Rog, as he is affectionately called by his fans, gave us many years of top notch stories on Amazing Spider-Man as well as Spectacular, and some Spidey mini-series.

My favorite Roger Stern contribution, as if you couldn't tell, was his introduction of the Hobgoblin. He is quite possibly one of the coolest villains of all time. I loved everything about him: He was always scheming, plotting, and being a lovable, yet nasty narcissist. And that's just scratching the surface. I could rant all day about how cool he is, but I do want to get this in on time and let you guys have your say.

I'd say the only downside to Mr.Stern's tenure is that he left Amazing too early, but that's not entirely his fault, as far as I know.

So what sayest you, the Spidey fans, about Roger Stern? Let the discussion commence!
    I think I may have contributed to this thread before but generally, I gave Stern's tenure an A- to a B+. I HATED his stint on PETER PARKER (Spectacular...) especially in contrast with MARV WOLFMAN's work on AMAZING from the same period. I also wasn't wild about Roger's first year on that same book. I didn't care about the Vulture, hated the Fool Killer and was furious when he "de-powered" the Black Cat (a Wolfman creation) and reduced her to a virtual Catwoman Clone! And don't get me started on his Tarantula series!

However, the aforementioned Juggernaut and Kid stories were brilliant! Another high points was the Hobgoblin Mystery. Yes, I saw the storyline as a rip-off of the original Lee\Ditko Green Goblin Mystery--and not only did I follow each and every issue, I LOVED IT probably because Norman was considered dead and gone at the time!

And if that still wasn't enough, he brought back our favorite, "Rambunctious Redhead" Mary-Jane Watson! Do I consider him "the best S.M. writer since Stan Lee"? Hell, no. But it was a very good tenure nonetheless, a cherished part of my colletion--MINUS those lame-Os I mentioned!
    FAV Comics: Lil' ABNER, DICK TRACY, BATMAN, UNCLE SCROOGE, KAMUI, TOMB OF DRACULA, THE MIGHTY THOR by LEE\KIRBY, WONDER WOMAN by PEREZ\KAREN BERGER, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 1-206 and EC COMICS!