Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Marvel Adapts Jane Austen's "Emma"

Marvel Comics has announced their Jane Austen adaptation will be "Emma," with a script by "New York Times" bestselling writer Nancy Butler and "Daper Men" artist Janet K. Lee. Emma goes on sale in March.

Full article here.

I like good comics. ScotsScribbler's Avatar

This obviously follows closely on the heels of Shanower and Young's Wizard of Oz series which was pitch perfect. Judging by the cover, this will be too. The colouring and style is spot on.

Glad to see Marvel trying something different even if this is a remake of sorts, rather than an original story.

Who buys these things?
    They have done a few of these before and for the life of me i cant see a Jane Austen fan or a fan of period pieces picking up this stuff. Hell, i see them picking up all the monster mash ups firsts.

I think this is just so Marvel can sell the collection later on for a extremely high price or something.

I like good comics. ScotsScribbler's Avatar

I would buy Wizard of Oz for my little cousins and the Emma graphic novel for my sister, cos people like me want to see other around us enjoying comic books too.

Also they are limited series TPBs and you don't need to sell your kidney to catch up on all the back issues and continuity, unlike Marvel and DC regulars.

BANNED

Somebody has finally figured out a strategy for stanching the collapse of comix with something we can all get behind: Jane Austen. Somebody is seriously thinking about giving Gold Key comics a run for their money.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Who buys these things?
    I have!

But yes, I imagine this is geared more towards bookstores than the direct market.

I'm glad Marvel's persuing more female friendly titles. Maybe they could use this story to advertise other great heroines?

I'm a bit skeptical that this can possible be exciting as their thrill-a-page adaption of Pride and Prejudice.

I don't like to give spoilers, but I was just stunned when Lydia ran off with that cad Wickham....

Roll up the PARTITION plz Imraith Nimphais's Avatar

I'll buy this for me! Jane Austin is one of my fav authors...it would be interesting to see/read the sequential take on such a classic.
    Sun and Moon
    Ororo Munroe...God's own X-MAN
    Storm deserves her very own solo ongoing...unfortunately..."Limited minds place limits on everything but their own foolishness." (aja_c.)