Default Dragon Ball Kai compared to Dragon Ball Z

Dragon Ball Kai is worth the while but I don't find it nearly as good as the older version Dragon Ball Z.

A lot of stuff are cut out from Z in Kai. Which in some ways is pleasant. No Goku taking too long on snake way, no fake namek, no Garlic Jr. saga, no driving episode, and a bunch of other stuff. However, not without some downsides. I don't like how in certain scenes when something is cut out, scenes are jointed together but they don't make any sense. Like things are happening too fast or something doesn't really seem to connect. Then, there were good stuff from Z that were taken out.

The animation in Kai looks upgraded. Sometimes I don't see what the difference between the two versions are though. Kai got better most of the time with the animation. Except, there are times when the animation would look tremendous in one shot but then another shot later the animation gets back to being average. Like it doesn't feel whole.

Voice actors sound different than in the older version. Some from the older version are deceased. While others are still around. Those who are still around have showed their age in their performance in their voice acting. Take one for instance, the Seiyuu for Cell. His performance for Cell in Kai sounds weird to when he did Cell in Z. But many of the actors are still good as they were in the older one.

Music in Z was better. Background music in Kai gets boring. The music for Z was more exciting to listen to than in Kai.

Something I just find strange. Why is Lunch shown in the credits for the first ending song for Kai if she didn't make an appearance on the actual show? Makes no sense.

I like Z a lot better than Kai. With Z you have the whole thing which I prefer. Kai has faster pacing and people who aren't fans of the series will like Kai better.

These are the things I have for now.
    Last edited by KnockBlock; 11-19-2010 at 07:47 PM.

CBR Dark Tourny Master Robotech Master's Avatar
    On an Abh Battleship, somewhere in the Aptic System

Um...ok? Well "all the stuff cut out from Z" is just it taking away the filler that was never in the manga in the first place.

What they essentially did is take out all the things they used to pad the series in order to stop it from catching up with the current manga chapters at the time.
    "It's your parting gift. In that it will part you; part of you over here, part of you over there, part of you way over there, staining the wall!" Lord Shen

Animation & Illustration

According to this, if you're watching it on Nick or CW you're getting a 4kids version of it...

Edits have been made to the version appearing on Nicktoons, these include the removal of blood (which sometimes is replaced with black greyish liquid where the blood is supposed to be), overly violent moments, profanity, and others. The CW's Toonzai airings, however, are edited even more so than the Nicktoons version, due to tighter restrictions on broadcast programming. These edits include recoloring Mr. Popo's skin as blue, replacing dead characters' halos with glowing orbs, removing virtually all death references in both dialogue and episode titles, and renaming certain special techniques (such as Goku's Spirit Bomb renamed as the "Spirit Blast" and Vegeta's Galick Gun as the "Galick Blast").
    Ah, the dodges they make over religion and race are still as sad/funny as ever. Also, "bombs and guns?! Oh, we can't have that them going around blowing up stuff with bombs and guns. Jsut call them "blasts". Can they be blasts of rainbows and puppies? No? Well, see what you can do. Maybe make them pink."

I wonder if they still have those idiot lines from the early Vegeta/Nappa scenes when they blow up a city and shoot down a helicopter, and then add in dialogue lines with no reference saying, "too bad it was an abandoned area of town" and "oh darn, they managed to parachute out". Even when I was a kid I knew that was lame, added-in crap that made no sense.
    Last edited by Inkthinker; 11-21-2010 at 03:05 AM.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read"- Groucho Marx

Illustration Gallery
    2D Animation Studio

i wonder how they are going to explain the parts when Cell is absorbing humans, and when Buu is turning people into candy and eatting them.

Do they still have the famous line with Raditz talking to Piccolo right before he dies.. "What's wrong green man? Why so gloom? We can't all have the last laugh. Is it because (something) or because your just plain ugly?" lol that was the only awesome dubbed part in the entirety of DBZ.
    Rogue and Bishop's daughter would be called Discharge, and she'd touch people and drain all or some of their bioelectrical energy out of them causing them to either die or fall unconscious. She could then use this energy to extend her own life, heal herself, enhance her physical abilities (speed, strength, stamina,) or discharge it as various energy beams.

Yeah I enjoy Kai.

I've never "seen" Dragon Ball Z before.

I've of course seen it but only as a kid and I might think "Oh I've seen Goku Vs Freiza" for example then I'll remember the fight probably went on for 20 episodes and there's no way I've seen it all.

Kai is a nice way to watch the story without clearing the calender.

It was a flawed drawn out show, this just removes those bits. Yeah it's nice to have some endurance and it makes the pay off huge when big events happen. But the filler is insanely time consuming. I'm enjoying Kai but waiting for the blu-ray relases rather than the Cartoon Network/Nickelodeon versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
    Um...ok? Well "all the stuff cut out from Z" is just it taking away the filler that was never in the manga in the first place.
    There are still some filler that's anime only that are left out in the newer version.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
    What they essentially did is take out all the things they used to pad the series in order to stop it from catching up with the current manga chapters at the time.
    I am aware of that. They take away many of the things that inflates the length of the show but not all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by andthegunslinger View Post
    It was a flawed drawn out show, this just removes those bits. Yeah it's nice to have some endurance and it makes the pay off huge when big events happen. But the filler is insanely time consuming.
    Yeah it's nice to have the length shorten and make quicker pacing. Except all of that doesn't mean anything great if along the way stuff look jolted.

What series doesn't have its flaws? Every series does. It was drawn out, but there were things to make use of.

Omnidisciplinary Nerd

yeah, this is tough

on the one hand, kai is quicker paced in both story telling and fight scenes

on the other hand, all that filler also provided alot of character development that is missing in kai

You are pissing me off!! wolverine316's Avatar

Dragon ball Z in my opinion was the greatest anime/cartoon of all time. If you never saw DBZ before, I am sure they have edited alot of stuff not just the filler eps in Kai to make it rated PG that are necessary. Also with the different voiced actors that don't offer the same emotions as the prior cast takes away from it as well.

Keep in mind the DVD/Blu-ray versions are Uncut and Uncensored.

Stopped watching it on TV, the edits were honestly close to if not even worse than the old Draconian Saban cuts, which I thought was impossible.
    "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die." -Mel Brooks
    OIF 08-09
    OEF 10-11
    Do it yourself tech support link