Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's who?

Gallifrey endures. blackphoenix's Avatar

Default Who's who?

DC announced a new Who's Who at the same thime they announced the DC Legacies mini-series. When will it be coming out?
    Thus do I write the first chapter of my new scripture. And the first verse is "Let it all burn."

PHOENIX INVICTUS!

Pretty sure I heard it was delayed until after Brightest Day, so as not to spoil anything and/or not have to be revamped within a month of being released. I think the reshuffling of management at the DC offices also had something to do with it. It's still coming out, though; we just don't know when.
    Check out my Hawkman Blog:The Stonechat Museum!

Gallifrey endures. blackphoenix's Avatar

Default awww--!

Total bummer.
    Thus do I write the first chapter of my new scripture. And the first verse is "Let it all burn."

PHOENIX INVICTUS!

DC seems to announce a new Who's Who every couple of years, but they never emerg. I'd love to see a new series but I'm not holding my breath.

What i want to know is if/when it comes out if it will have those eye-bleeding yellow borders with the circles and squares...

BANNED

Well, I used to buy those from flea markets for a quarter, so I have some nostalgic feelings toward those covers! :D

Seriously though, I hope they revamp the cover style while keeping the style in some way the same so you can still get that "Who's Who" feel to it.

The better question is, who do we trust to do this, and do this right? We don't want this screwed up!

I can think of only three people off the top of my head with intimate knowledge of detailed comic history. Mark Waid, Kurt Busiek, and Dan Slott.

Mark's at Boom at the moment, Dan's...where is Dan these days? Still with Marvel? I guess that'd leave Kurt, who'd do a fine job with it if he was able to commit...

Anyone I'm forgetting? The two requirements for doing a Who's Who would be a) almost encyclopedic knowledge of heroes and b) a real love and joy of DC history.

I'm pretty sure it was stated that Bob Greenberger was going to be writing it, which makes sense as he's had a hand in crafting a few of the DC encyclopedias. The last I read about the project though it was stated that it had been pushed back until after Flashpoint is over, so I guess it's wait and see.

Y'know.....I'd be fine without a WHO'S WHO as long as DC kept pumping out these big Encyclopedia books.

GL and JLA are the obvious next 2 volumes, I suspect Flash and JSA would get ones too eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash's Lightning View Post
    Well, I used to buy those from flea markets for a quarter, so I have some nostalgic feelings toward those covers! :D

Seriously though, I hope they revamp the cover style while keeping the style in some way the same so you can still get that "Who's Who" feel to it.

The better question is, who do we trust to do this, and do this right? We don't want this screwed up!

I can think of only three people off the top of my head with intimate knowledge of detailed comic history. Mark Waid, Kurt Busiek, and Dan Slott.

Mark's at Boom at the moment, Dan's...where is Dan these days? Still with Marvel? I guess that'd leave Kurt, who'd do a fine job with it if he was able to commit...

Anyone I'm forgetting? The two requirements for doing a Who's Who would be a) almost encyclopedic knowledge of heroes and b) a real love and joy of DC history.
    I'd say; Keith Giffen, Paul Levitz or even George Perez would have plenty of knowledge.
    Morrison probably knows more about DC than anyone else would want to, but I'm not sure he'd want to bother explaining it, if it weren't going to be used in a story "right then". Then again, he might make stuff up just to see what he could sneak through.
    "In times of CRISIS, it's of utmost importance to always keep ones' head."- M. Antionette

Dill Crockery Knoodle Jones-That Stillwell guy

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Walsh View Post
    Y'know.....I'd be fine without a WHO'S WHO as long as DC kept pumping out these big Encyclopedia books.
    Those ENCYCLOPEDIAS never offered entries as in-depth or detailed as did the original WHO'S WHO, and the ENCYLOPEDIAS tended to omit even some fairly significant characters.

With the availability of the Internet, though, I'm not sure any of these publications have the value they once did as sources of information.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    faze (v.): to cause to be disturbed or disconcerted; to stun

phase (n.):
    a stage in a process of change or development

Get it right, people.

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon23 View Post
    DC seems to announce a new Who's Who every couple of years, but they never emerg. I'd love to see a new series but I'm not holding my breath.
    Just as well, I don't have the time to go through it with a pen crossing out all of the pointless Johnsconning.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

I still say they should just put it all online for free, and then use that to define whatever continuity is true at the moment. So you lay down a basic background for each character. Then as significant things happen, you adjust their entries. And then when you don't want some significant thing to be the case any more, you delete it from that entry.

Combine that with a "What you need to know" for each book (like a recap page, but on the Web site), and you can help new readers while not having to change the actual books.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glennsim View Post
    I still say they should just put it all online for free, and then use that to define whatever continuity is true at the moment. So you lay down a basic background for each character. Then as significant things happen, you adjust their entries. And then when you don't want some significant thing to be the case any more, you delete it from that entry.

Combine that with a "What you need to know" for each book (like a recap page, but on the Web site), and you can help new readers while not having to change the actual books.
    This would work best for this day and age, with what technology can do now.

I think each entry should have separate "historical" biographies of characters separate from current biographies, to show how depictions of the characters have changed over the years. The original WHO'S WHO featured separate entries for Kal-L, the Earth-Two Golden Age Superman and the then-newly-minted Post-COIE John Byrne-rebooted Superman, but for some reason omitted the Silver/Bronze Age Superman who had just seen them through the previous thirty years of storytelling. Ideally, all three versions would have been featured (and perhaps major non-continuity Supermen such as the KINGDOM COME version as well).

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    faze (v.): to cause to be disturbed or disconcerted; to stun

phase (n.):
    a stage in a process of change or development

Get it right, people.

While the online version makes more logical sense, I'm a sucker for Who's Who-type series and would happily buy one if DC ever publishes it. The original Who's Who introduced me to a lot of character I might never have known about otherwise.

I'd love original artwork as well, much like the old Who's Who, rather than Marvel's current approach of reprinted artwork for their Handbooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash's Lightning View Post

dan is the head writer of amazing spiderman. his dream job
    northlanders .american vampire. bprd. concrete. detective comics.