Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bprd: 1948

Default 1948 and Russia

With the next BPRD Hell on Earth miniseries after Monsters being titled Russia, and all the stuff involving Varvara in 1946, 1947 and The Abyssal Plain, I can't help but thinking we're going to get 1948 in the gap between Monsters and Russia. After all, we've got a the new BPRD artist, Tyler Crook, who will probably need some time to get ahead after Monsters, and 1948 would be the perfect primer for all those Russian plot points that have been left dangling.

At least that's what I hope. News on this series has been non-existent, and I'd very much like to believe I'll still see the first issue before the end of 2011.

I wonder what Mignola et al. has got planned for the BPRD series now. Thanks to War on Frogs, and the 1940s books, BPRD has had an issue practically every month since Plague of Frogs. It was a good idea that gave Guy Davis some downtime, but now we have Tyler Crook drawing BPRD and no BPRD stories on the schedule (aside from 1948) to give him some breathing space. So what's going to happen? Will BPRD slow down now, maybe only doing five or six issues a year? Or does Team Mignola have something else in mind we don't know about yet?

I would love to see Ba/Moon back doing something Hellboy-related. Those boys are incredible talents.
    Strangebeard: It's not the size of the pirate in the fight, but the size of the fight in the pirate.

Apparently there have been some discussions about them coming back to work on something, but nothing set in stone. Fingers crossed.

It's a definite posibility, not only was Russia referenced in the Abyssal Plain but the vampire plot from the 40's books was featured in the last Hellboy mini The Sleeping and the Dead. It seems like they're intent on continuing the plot lines that started in the 40's books so even if we never get a '48 story we'll definitely get a conclusion to the story line they started in those books.

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    With the next BPRD Hell on Earth miniseries after Monsters being titled Russia, [
    Where did you hear that from? But Yeah, I'd love to get back into the Russian Occult exploration. Also wasn't Hyperborea up there/Near it??

Quote Originally Posted by NASH_BPRD View Post
    Where did you hear that from? But Yeah, I'd love to get back into the Russian Occult exploration. Also wasn't Hyperborea up there/Near it??
    It was in an interview on CBR during ECCC. I think there's a link to it in the ECCC thread somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It's a definite posibility, not only was Russia referenced in the Abyssal Plain but the vampire plot from the 40's books was featured in the last Hellboy mini The Sleeping and the Dead. It seems like they're intent on continuing the plot lines that started in the 40's books so even if we never get a '48 story we'll definitely get a conclusion to the story line they started in those books.
    John Arcudi's already written 1948 (I think... now I'm not sure), so it should still be happening. It's just a matter of when. But there won't be a 1949.

It was in an interview on CBR during ECCC. I think there's a link to it in the ECCC thread somewhere.
    John Arcudi's already written 1948 (I think... now I'm not sure), so it should still be happening. It's just a matter of when. But there won't be a 1949.
    Sweet, I hadn't heard that. I thought he had wanted to but it got shelved, they were great stories so I'm just glad they won't just be tossed aside.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Sweet, I hadn't heard that. I thought he had wanted to but it got shelved, they were great stories so I'm just glad they won't just be tossed aside.
    I could very easily be wrong. In fact hearing you talk about it I'm becoming less and less certain.

Ah! Found it. Thanks! Can't wait for it.

I could be equally wrong, I think my feeling that it wasn't coming out came from a half remembered bit from an article you posted a while back. All I remembered that they had planned 1948 and said it wasn't going beyond there but when I went to find your post I realized that the context didn't mean it was ending at planning but rather the BPRD 19-- line was ending at 48.

I've been watching the news on this one closely, because I loved 1947 (especially Fábio Moon's art). By the sounds of it, 1948 is a long way off. Let's recap:

In the Hellmail of King of Fear #1 (January 6, 2010) Scott Allie said, "We're kicking around plans for 1948 now, but it probably won't come until 2011..." and in the Afterward of the 1947 trade paperback (July 7, 2010) Mike Mignola teased that we'd see more of the noble vampires that murdered Baron Konig and the possible ressurection of Konig himself, plus more Simon and more young Hellboy. It all sounded very enthusiastic.

Then there was an interview on Suicide Girls (posted October 6, 2010) that shook things up a bit — "We’ve planned BPRD: 1948 and I think that’s as far as we’re going to go with that. John Arcudi will be writing BPRD: 1948 and we haven’t settled on an artist for that book, although we’re talking to some people. I wanted John to do that so he could make whatever connections he wanted to make between that BPRD and the structure of the ongoing BPRD. I wanted to give him a chance to put his stamp on the past since he’s dealing with the current BPRD."

That's a bit of a shame, especially after Mike Mignola had previously said, "We're hoping to do 'BPRD: 1947,' 'BPRD: 1948,' 'BPRD: 1949,' and into the '50s" (March 3, 2008). So some big plans have bitten the dust.

But I'm still looking forward to 1948, especially after The Abyssal Plain minseries. Will there be a link between the two stories? It's hard to imagine there won't, especially after Varvara's appearance. And John Arcudi is writing it, and we all know he's a god. But what happened to Joshua Dysart? I would've thought if the series was coming to an end, he'd want to write that end.

I guess in some way this was inevitable. Frankly, I've been in awe of Mike Mignola these last few years (moreso than usual), juggling Hellboy, BPRD, Abe Sapien, Loster Johnson, Witchfinder, Baltimore, the 1940s series... And now that he's getting back to drawing Hellboy again, something had to give. So the third Witchfinder miniseries has been put on the back burner and 1949 and beyond have been given the chop.

So this is it. Brace yourselves for a goodbye to Simon, Jacob and Margaret, as it seems this next miniseries will be their swan song (and we'd only just met them too). Personally, I'm hoping this last 1940s book will be an epic eight-or-more-issue series, plus a couple of shorts in Dark Horse Presents or USA Today. If the series must end, let it go out bigger and better than ever!

I can't find any later mentions than what you found, so here's hoping. Either way though, like I mentioned at least the plot threads aren't being abandoned even if it doesn't come to fruition.

Here's a new interview with Mike Mignola from the ECCC.

He mentions 1948, says we probably won't see it this year. He also mentions the possibility of spinning off some the characters in 1947.

There was talk about Lobster Johnson too. Apparently there's going to be some big things happening with him in the future. MM doesn't say anything, but it sounds like there will be more LJ after The Burning Hand.

Sounds like Tyler Crook is going to be kept busy. Though it's impossible, MM would like to release 3 BPRD comics a month. Clearly he has a lot of ideas for that series.

Again he says he would like to do more Witchfinder but he doesn't have the time, but I figure some time in the future there has to be at least one more to explain how he became the masked Acheron. Plus I'm still holding out for an entire trade full of short stories... maybe I should just accept that's not gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway;12813485

Sounds like Tyler Crook is going to be kept busy. Though it's impossible, MM would like to release 3 [I
    BPRD[/i] comics a month. Clearly he has a lot of ideas for that series.
    I would have died and gone to heaven. Damn I wish that was possible.

Sounds like Tyler Crook is going to be kept busy. Though it's impossible, MM would like to release 3 BPRD comics a month. Clearly he has a lot of ideas for that series.
    Quote Originally Posted by NASH_BPRD View Post
    I would have died and gone to heaven. Damn I wish that was possible.
    Hey, if Guy Davis wants to return to BPRD some day, I have no problem with him and Tyler Crook both being ongoing artists.

Scott Allie in April's Hellmail:
    "There's more to Simon Ander's story, which we hope to get to next year. The creative team on that one sure as hell won't hit any off notes."

I wish he'd also mentioned who that creative was. Good to hear this story hasn't been forgotten though.

I think that after Russia which if it's five issues should end in January with #5 then we may get a BPRD: 1948 although we don't know how fast Tyler Crook is so it may just continue with the next Hell on Earth miniseries.
    Another possibility is that the Lobster Johnson series is used to bridge any gaps as that is said to be released around the same time, early 2012.