Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Bprd: 1948

Guess this chapter showed the first reason why Hellboy cut his horns.

Oh wow, I'll bet youre right, Ill bet we see young Hellboy saw off his horns for the first time in this series, that'll be a shock for Bruttenholm when he gets home

Yeah, I could definitely see this as being the reason he first does that, man I can't wait to see it now!

I realized today for the first time that the wierd-green crystal that was introduced, enkeladite, is the same thing Fenix's pendant is made of (as stated in Return of the Master #1). She states it was a gift from her mother.

I wonder how much more 1948 will tie in?

Quote Originally Posted by dreadcthulhu View Post
    I realized today for the first time that the wierd-green crystal that was introduced, enkeladite, is the same thing Fenix's pendant is made of (as stated in Return of the Master #1). She states it was a gift from her mother.

I wonder how much more 1948 will tie in?
    Oh, damn! That completely escaped my notice. When Scott Allie mentioned in the letter col to remember the name enkeladite, it didn't even occur to me to do some snooping outside of this 1948 series. Good eye, dread!

Nice find! Perhaps Dr Rieu is Fenix's grandmother?

Wow, that's an awesome catch.

And it makes me wonder who the father is if she is Fenix's grandmother.

Wow. Wearing something analogous to Trinitite (but from a world with extradimensional demonic monsters) around your neck seems like an incredibly bad idea!

Am enjoying this mini, though I still have a little problem with the way Fiumara draws faces. I like to art overall, but the faces are just weird. A cross between Modigliani and Bill Plympton.

But what I really want to talk about is the letter from Don Hargnett in the back of #3. I am sorry to say I agree with him more than I would like. They have cast away the characters that made BPRD such a different and engrossing series in favor of human and far less interesting ones. And some of their stories, taking place while the Ogdru Hem are overtaking the Earth seem trivial.
    Here's hoping they get on track again and we see the return of Abe, Liz, etc.
    But that said, even this flawed BPRD is better than 90% of the books out there.

A preview for issue 4 is up. Click on the cover to view:

#4 was a great issue and it looks like they're building to a big climax!

Quick question - does the reference to rituals in the 1880s refer to any of the mignolaverse stuff we've already seen? Lost and Gone Forever maybe?

I cannot remember.
    Last edited by dreadcthulhu; 01-16-2013 at 07:02 AM.

Yep. Lost and Gone Forever.

Ah, awesome. Thanks Middenway.

And that should be Lost and Gone Forever maybe?. I really need that edit function, ha.

EDIT: And I do!

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    Yep. Lost and Gone Forever.
    As soon as I saw that panel I nearly exploded. That was a great connection that I didn't see coming at all. I'm going to need to dig out those issues later on and reread Lost and Gone Forever and 1948 back to back.

Another thing I loved was from the Hellmail column: BPRD might go bi-weekly!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    As soon as I saw that panel I nearly exploded. That was a great connection that I didn't see coming at all.
    Me too. It put a huge grin on my face. There seems to be a few Witchfinder connections of late.
    Another thing I loved was from the Hellmail column: BPRD might go bi-weekly!
    Yeah, I was pretty damn excited about that.