Thread: Bprd: 1948

Hybrid View

Default Bprd: 1948

I've been watching the news on this one closely, because I loved 1947 (especially Fábio Moon's art). By the sounds of it, 1948 is a long way off. Let's recap:

In the Hellmail of King of Fear #1 (January 6, 2010) Scott Allie said, "We're kicking around plans for 1948 now, but it probably won't come until 2011..." and in the Afterward of the 1947 trade paperback (July 7, 2010) Mike Mignola teased that we'd see more of the noble vampires that murdered Baron Konig and the possible ressurection of Konig himself, plus more Simon and more young Hellboy. It all sounded very enthusiastic.

Then there was an interview on Suicide Girls (posted October 6, 2010) that shook things up a bit — "We’ve planned BPRD: 1948 and I think that’s as far as we’re going to go with that. John Arcudi will be writing BPRD: 1948 and we haven’t settled on an artist for that book, although we’re talking to some people. I wanted John to do that so he could make whatever connections he wanted to make between that BPRD and the structure of the ongoing BPRD. I wanted to give him a chance to put his stamp on the past since he’s dealing with the current BPRD."

That's a bit of a shame, especially after Mike Mignola had previously said, "We're hoping to do 'BPRD: 1947,' 'BPRD: 1948,' 'BPRD: 1949,' and into the '50s" (March 3, 2008). So some big plans have bitten the dust.

But I'm still looking forward to 1948, especially after The Abyssal Plain minseries. Will there be a link between the two stories? It's hard to imagine there won't, especially after Varvara's appearance. And John Arcudi is writing it, and we all know he's a god. But what happened to Joshua Dysart? I would've thought if the series was coming to an end, he'd want to write that end.

I guess in some way this was inevitable. Frankly, I've been in awe of Mike Mignola these last few years (moreso than usual), juggling Hellboy, BPRD, Abe Sapien, Loster Johnson, Witchfinder, Baltimore, the 1940s series... And now that he's getting back to drawing Hellboy again, something had to give. So the third Witchfinder miniseries has been put on the back burner and 1949 and beyond have been given the chop.

So this is it. Brace yourselves for a goodbye to Simon, Jacob and Margaret, as it seems this next miniseries will be their swan song (and we'd only just met them too). Personally, I'm hoping this last 1940s book will be an epic eight-or-more-issue series, plus a couple of shorts in Dark Horse Presents or USA Today. If the series must end, let it go out bigger and better than ever!

I think this will be a case of never say never. I can see that MM will have so much on his plate he'll need to say "Woah! Let's refocus a little here! Too much, too much!" which isn't necessarily great for fans but of late we have been really spoiled by Team Mignolaverse in terms of the amount of output.

2011 starts with a bang for Mignolaverse -

BPRD: Hell on Earth and Hellboy have new stories out in Janurary, and in February they are joined by Witchfinder: Lost and Gone Forever. We should be seeing Hellboy: The Fury in March or soon after. It's just been mentioned in the letters section of BPRD HoE #4 that Lobster Johnson is again on the way. Between Dec 2010 and Feb 2011 we have two HB shorts as well. There's plenty going on.

Plus BPRD HoE is the new big push right now for DHC. I am curious what they will do in the titles for 1948 since numbering-wise it does look like BPRD HoE has gone back to start, and 1948 doesn't fit in so much with the Hell on Earth tagline.
    "Don't mess with me, lady. I've been drinking with skeletons."

Quote Originally Posted by timbolton View Post
    I think this will be a case of never say never.
    I hope so. 1947 introduced some genuinely interesting characters.
    ...of late we have been really spoiled by Team Mignolaverse in terms of the amount of output.
    No kidding. It's easy to forget. The Mignolaverse is certainly a rewarding universe, and I think that's in large part due to the fact that the creator of the series is so involved in every spin-off. I'd much rather lose one of those spin-offs than have MM spread too thin, but I'll always lament the loss.
    I am curious what they will do in the titles for 1948 since numbering-wise it does look like BPRD HoE has gone back to start, and 1948 doesn't fit in so much with the Hell on Earth tagline.
    God, I hope not. Far as I'm concerned BPRD Hell on Earth: New World is just BPRD Volume 15 with an extra long title. Hell on Earth is the mulit-book saga title, but the series title is still BPRD. Really this extra title just helps the marketing for the new BPRD Omnibus format. And when 1948 is finished I have a feeling there'll be an omnibus collection called BPRD: 1946-1948.

Have to agree with everything being written here, but still -- say it ain't so! I know Team Mignolaverse is spread thin, but I also would love to see 1948 and on into the fifties. What did happen to Josh Dysart? Surely he could carry the story onwards.

Anyway, I also loved 1947, especially the beautiful art. Baby Hellboy is always a treat, and Varvara is a hoot. The return of Baron Konig and those vampires would be very cool. As for 1946, I didn't really like it at first, but when I go back to read the trade, I think it's quite excellent. The dark, moody art which initially turned me off is actually very appropriate for the story. So... maybe a different artist for each year is the ticket? Of course I wouldn't complain if Ba and Moon stuck around awhile...

Quote Originally Posted by brentmcd View Post
    So... maybe a different artist for each year is the ticket? Of course I wouldn't complain if Ba and Moon stuck around awhile...
    Neither would I

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by brentmcd View Post
    What did happen to Josh Dysart? Surely he could carry the story onwards.
    Agreed!

And during one SDCC panel this year, I know MM mentioned he liked the idea of more 194X stories. But that doesn't equate to them actually being made. I'd like to think (as was mentioned) that everyone's spread so thin on other storylines that it just may be a while, but we will eventually see more 194X stories.

Default just a thought

ive only seen the hellboy movie the one time.... and never even seen the second one but one of my favourite little tid bits was when prof Broom mentions that the "Occult Wars" ended with the death of hitler in the 50s..... now that may be just extra fluff thrown in for the film but ive long hopped that it was a MM idea that hed like to explore.... just wishful thinking it seems