Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: JMS Speaks on "Superman," "Wonder Woman"

J. Michael Straczynski elaborated on leaving "Superman" and "Wonder Woman," spoke openly about the cheers and jeers his DC work has received and hinted at progress already made on the "Superman: Earth One" sequel.

Full article here.

That interview gives more clarification on JMS leaving the monthly Superman and Wonder Woman titles. Its good to know that he was honest with DC and didn't feel he could write those 2 monthlies and a sequel to Superman Earth One and deliver high quality products to the fans. Its also good to know that it was DC's decision to remove JMS from the monthlies so that he could focus 100% on the Superman ogn sequel, and not that JMS "quit" the montlies like so many people are speculating. Good article!

Care for a Jelly Baby? InSovietRussia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eggie View Post
    That interview gives more clarification on JMS leaving the monthly Superman and Wonder Woman titles. Its good to know that he was honest with DC and didn't feel he could write those 2 monthlies and a sequel to Superman Earth One and deliver high quality products to the fans. Its also good to know that it was DC's decision to remove JMS from the monthlies so that he could focus 100% on the Superman ogn sequel, and not that JMS "quit" the montlies like so many people are speculating. Good article!
    Quit or not, I don't think many people are happy about what amounts to a bait-and-switch in the end. (for the record, I'm not one of them... as soon as I heard that the main plot was gonna be "Superman walks across America", I knew it wasn't my thing)

Well, it's a nice interview and all, but nothing new really. I'm still a bit bummed, but I'll live. Hopefully the OGN's pick up steam and DC starts selling more of those.
    I. AM. THE. NEW. GOD.
    Across countless worlds, for countless eons, not a voice is raised in hope or joy.
    Across these worlds, these infinite lands throughout the cosmos, there is only Darkseid.

I figured from the begining that this was going to happen. His work on both titles were crap. DC and JMS can spin this all they want to but they're not fooling anybody.

Senior Member greatmetropolitan's Avatar

It was a good interivew, and confirmed my feelings that JMS has done nothing wrong here. It's just manouvering with DC editorial to capitalise on a very profitable product. Does it suck that JMS can't finish his Superman and WW runs? Yes. Is he the antichrist? No. Sadly, with companies as big as DC and Marvel, art will always take a hit against profit.

People need to chill.
    Buy or download my first self published comic, Taking Flight!
    Available at www.laseragecomics.co.uk

Great interview... I loved how you asked the second question. Props to you, Jeffrey :D

Doesn't Want To See That! coconutphone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redvector View Post
    I figured from the begining that this was going to happen. His work on both titles were crap. DC and JMS can spin this all they want to but they're not fooling anybody.
    Well he was brought on to do Earth One and the monthlies were later additions and the E1 book did do crazy good business from all accounts so I take him at his word here.
    Schmitty's Evil Twin.

Quote Originally Posted by redvector View Post
    If the issue was his stories, DC would be cutting them short. Instead they are using his plot to finish them with different scripters.

So JMS was taken on by DC to write Superman: Earth One and he filled in his time by writing two of their highest profile titles; two titles that most new writers would give their right arms for. JMS may have been pulled off the monthlies, but shame on him for taking them on in such a cavalier way in the first place.

This is wonderful news to me, but I'm starting to worry that DC may be rushing this. And usually when a book is rushed, nothing good comes from it. I hate waiting as much as the next fan, but if waiting means the story will continue to demonstrate a certain level of quality then I'm willing to make that sacrifice. The success of Superman Earth One seems to have overly excited DC. I don't want to jump to conclusion, but I hope they think this through before continuing.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

X-men Supreme

Well this is certainly different than my first thoughts on him leaving. This makes a lot more sense to me now..I didn't know he was just stated for just 12 issue runs on the characters. Also, he's got some medical conditions so that also helps me let this slide. As long as it's still his plot I'll check the books out.

Earth Fun (Party Earth) Mr_Wayne's Avatar

I realize people make mistakes. We're human beings with flawed decision making skills. I'm just having an issue with understanding why JMS had to get both Superman and Wonder Woman in the first place.

I think JMS is a talented creator and I can't wait to read the next OGN but I'm fine with him leaving those books. Clark Kent as Forrest Gump and Diana as Xena is not what I want to be reading right now. Give those titles to Morrison.
    I've always wanted to diversify the DCU, but usually when I do it, James Robinson comes along and kills them all. -Grant Morrison

If JMS was only "filling out time" on Brave and the Bold, why did he talk about a long term plan to get it into the Top 20s or 30s? It just seems so revisionist.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Wayne View Post
    I realize people make mistakes. We're human beings with flawed decision making skills. I'm just having an issue with understanding why JMS had to get both Superman and Wonder Woman in the first place.
    He took them because DC came to him, wanting his ideas and his name to boost sales. The same way that Joe Quesada came to him for Amazing Spider-Man and the other Marvel books that he wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by redvector
    And here we go, people refusing to accept the truth and would rather go with their own opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by hutchimus
    If JMS was only "filling out time" on Brave and the Bold, why did he talk about a long term plan to get it into the Top 20s or 30s? It just seems so revisionist.
    That's not revisionist. He said from the get go that he was taking that book as it wasn't going to be tied heavily into continuity and it would allow him to use whatever characters DC would let him. He then made his later statements about getting sales up on that book. And he also said before "Earth One" was announced that, in the summer of 09 I think it was, that he had another project that he was working on that he couldn't disclose. He then began humming the John Williams Superman theme.
    Last edited by Mat001; 11-12-2010 at 12:04 PM.