Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spider-Writer Sundays: Peter David

Welcome back for another Spider-Writer Sunday, Spidey fans. This week we'll be talking about Peter David, perhaps best known for his Death of Jean DeWolff storyline in Spectacular Spider-Man. The sequel he wrote with Sal Buscema on art was also a good read. He's also responsible for having co-created Spider-Man 2099 with Rick Leonardi. While I've never really read Spider-Man 2099, I can say that his time on Spectacular Spider-Man and short time on Web of Spider-Man was quite good.

I also loved his Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man. During a time when JMS was writing Amazing Spider-Man and rarely utilizing the Web-Head's rogues gallery, Peter David was using them superbly. I loved his Sandman story in Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man Annual #1. It finally makes sense out of why Spidey was able to easily defeat Sandman with a vacuum cleaner. Plus it makes you feel sorry for him, unlike what Spider-Man 3 managed to accomplish. His Mysterio arc was also packed to the brim with good, clean fun; I hope the issue with Quentin Beck running around with half a head get addressed and not completely ignored or retconned.

One thing many people fault Peter David with is Amazing Spider-Man #289: The Hobgoblin "reveal" issue, detailing how it was Ned Leeds who was one of Spidey's greatest enemies. However, this story basically got dumped in his lap after 2 of Amazing's creative teams behind the Hobgoblin mystery left; and it was up to Peter David to pick up the pieces. Luckily, Roger Stern was able to later retcon and fix the Hobgoblin mystery, while not ruining previous continuity. If you think about it, the issue helps later establish why Roderick Kingsley was such a cold, manipulative bastard; he framed Ned Leeds and had no guilt or remorse for doing so.

What do you, the Spidey fans, have to say about Peter David's time with Spider-Man? Let the discussion, commence!
    "Seriously, where's the Hobgoblin when you need him?"--Peter Parker, Amazing Spider-Man Annual #36

"I'm being ignored more than Roderick Kingsley"--Me.
    "Dorkiest joke ever. Use it at parties."--Steve Wacker (AKA J Jonah Wacker).

Quote Originally Posted by Billium 3 View Post
    Welcome back for another Spider-Writer Sunday, Spidey fans. This week we'll be talking about Peter David, perhaps best known for his Death of Jean DeWolff storyline in Spectacular Spider-Man. The sequel he wrote with Sal Buscema on art was also a good read. He's also responsible for having co-created Spider-Man 2099 with Rick Leonardi. While I've never really read Spider-Man 2099, I can say that his time on Spectacular Spider-Man and short time on Web of Spider-Man was quite good.

I also loved his Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man. During a time when JMS was writing Amazing Spider-Man and rarely utilizing the Web-Head's rogues gallery, Peter David was using them superbly. I loved his Sandman story in Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man Annual #1. It finally makes sense out of why Spidey was able to easily defeat Sandman with a vacuum cleaner. Plus it makes you feel sorry for him, unlike what Spider-Man 3 managed to accomplish. His Mysterio arc was also packed to the brim with good, clean fun; I hope the issue with Quentin Beck running around with half a head get addressed and not completely ignored or retconned.

One thing many people fault Peter David with is Amazing Spider-Man #289: The Hobgoblin "reveal" issue, detailing how it was Ned Leeds who was one of Spidey's greatest enemies. However, this story basically got dumped in his lap after 2 of Amazing's creative teams behind the Hobgoblin mystery left; and it was up to Peter David to pick up the pieces. Luckily, Roger Stern was able to later retcon and fix the Hobgoblin mystery, while not ruining previous continuity. If you think about it, the issue helps later establish why Roderick Kingsley was such a cold, manipulative bastard; he framed Ned Leeds and had no guilt or remorse for doing so.

What do you, the Spidey fans, have to say about Peter David's time with Spider-Man? Let the discussion, commence!
    I whole-heartedly agree with just about all you wrote, Billum. Just a few quick notes;

*You've never read Spidey 2099 and you are a PAD fan?? Man, you will LOVE it!! Get thee to a comic shop and start reading----stat!!

*Not only was the "Death of Jean DeWolffe a highlight (and it's underrated sequel) but, really, his whole run on SSM was outstanding with nary a dud in the bunch! He came storming out of the gate with a very different take on Spidey (sort of forgotten now but it was quite different, if not Grant Morrison radical) and it worked.

*I feel his FNSM was hit and miss only because of the unfortunate timing. "The Other" and "Unmasking" events really interrupted what should have been a solid run for him; still, his Vulture, Mysterio and Sandman stories were all excellent. Only the clunky future Hobby story fell a little flat.

PAD remains one of my favorite writers, period. Outside of Spidey, of course, his runs on Hulk and X-Factor are second to none. I would love to see PAD return to his own Spidey title someday.
    "What oldschool said"
    The Shadow, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    I whole-heartedly agree with just about all you wrote, Billum. Just a few quick notes;

*You've never read Spidey 2099 and you are a PAD fan?? Man, you will LOVE it!! Get thee to a comic shop and start reading----stat!!

*Not only was the "Death of Jean DeWolffe a highlight (and it's underrated sequel) but, really, his whole run on SSM was outstanding with nary a dud in the bunch! He came storming out of the gate with a very different take on Spidey (sort of forgotten now but it was quite different, if not Grant Morrison radical) and it worked.

*I feel his FNSM was hit and miss only because of the unfortunate timing. "The Other" and "Unmasking" events really interrupted what should have been a solid run for him; still, his Vulture, Mysterio and Sandman stories were all excellent. Only the clunky future Hobby story fell a little flat.

PAD remains one of my favorite writers, period. Outside of Spidey, of course, his runs on Hulk and X-Factor are second to none. I would love to see PAD return to his own Spidey title someday.
    *I'll have to see what I can do about checking out further issues of SM:2099, Dr.Oldschool.

*Yes, his Spider-Man did have a different vibe about him than the other books had, didn't he?

*Cross-overs like "The Other" and "Unmasking" almost always muddy the waters for the writer of a given book. I feel that "Unmasking" wasn't bad story-wise for Amazing, but "The Other" did no one any good. As for his future Hobgoblin story, I did like the issue before the other Uncle Ben arrives and we see his alternate reality; it was an interesting development compared to what happened in the 616 continuity.

*I'd be down for Mr.David writing more Spidey. Who wouldn't?
    "Seriously, where's the Hobgoblin when you need him?"--Peter Parker, Amazing Spider-Man Annual #36

"I'm being ignored more than Roderick Kingsley"--Me.
    "Dorkiest joke ever. Use it at parties."--Steve Wacker (AKA J Jonah Wacker).

Peter David. Not only is he my favourite Spider-Man writer but he's also my favourite writer full-stop.
    X-Factor is awesome!!!
    R.I.P. Don't pee in the (Dead)pool, November 2007 - January 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Billium 3 View Post
    *I'll have to see what I can do about checking out further issues of SM:2099, Dr.Oldschool.

See, here is where having a Marvel app on the IPAD could be very handy; hopefully, we are not too far away from the day when we can just click and have a 100-issue or so run of a comic series for $20 or so. How cool would that be and how many more old series would we be apt to check out at that price point and that convenience??*Yes, his Spider-Man did have a different vibe about him than the other books had, didn't he?

Sure did. Especially when we keep in mind that his run started in the mid-80's and was, I believe, ahead of the grim 'n gritty era that "Dark Knight Returns" and "Watchmen" ushered in.*Cross-overs like "The Other" and "Unmasking" almost always muddy the waters for the writer of a given book. I feel that "Unmasking" wasn't bad story-wise for Amazing, but "The Other" did no one any good. As for his future Hobgoblin story, I did like the issue before the other Uncle Ben arrives and we see his alternate reality; it was an interesting development compared to what happened in the 616 continuity.

*I'd be down for Mr.David writing more Spidey. Who wouldn't?
    Agreed and Agreed!
    Last edited by oldschool; 11-07-2010 at 11:10 AM.
    "What oldschool said"
    The Shadow, 2008

FNSM was the only Spidey book I read on a regular basis before OMD. If the book Remained with PAD still writing after OMD I may have been able to tolerate BND.

Four degrees higher Cheesedique's Avatar

One of my favorite comic writers of all time, and my favorite Spider-man writer of modern times. His voicing of Parker is like no other. His Spectacular Spider-man run managed to be intriguing, darkly funny, and packed with action and spot-on characterization. To me, David was a master of the compressed storytelling of late 80's Marvel.

I picked up the FNSM trades years after the series was canned, as I missed them when they first came out. Yes, his run was blindsided with "The Other" and the "Civil War" crap, but I really liked his Mysterio and Vulture issues. More than most other writers, I see where David tries to pick up threads of stories that other writers never did anything with (like the Other powers and Ms. Arrow).

I'd only picked up the first few issues of Spidey 2099 when they came out, so I've since gotten the trade and am reading from the beginning. Great stuff so far.

I really hope PAD takes a writing job on Spidey again soon--either a limited series or a spin off book.

I love Peter David on Spider-Man. He's my choice to take over ASM is Slott ever leaves. PAD's work on Spidey in the 80's was great. I love ASM #'s 266, 267 and 278. I think he gets a bum rap for #289 but I hear Jim Owsley (now Christopher Priest) also contributed to that issue.

For those who haven't read Spider-Man: 2099, check out volume 1 in TPB (#'s 1-10). I hope they make volumes 2 and 3 but I'm not sure. Spider-Man: 2099 was a great book during the early 90's. I recently met Peter at NYCC and got him to sign some of my 2099 comics. I asked him if he'd ever return to writing Spider-Man: 2099. He replied, "if Marvel ever called me up and asked me to write Spider-Man: 2099 again, I'd say 'why are you calling me on a Saturday, and yes - I will." Classic PAD.

I haven't read his Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man because I took a hiatus from comics around 2005. I hear it's quite good.

Fun fact: PAD also wrote the Spider-Man & Gen13 one-shot.
    - Jason G. Carr

Spider-MAn 2099 is definitely a book that everyone should read. It was just a different take on a well established idea, but with some twists along the way. I read it years ago and didn't really know the luck I'd had in finding them. I think I got the first 25 issues for 20 bucks or something. I should go back and find the remainder of the series.

I also felt like his FNSM run was interrupted from time to time. However, beyond the other I thought what was so unique was how well PAD handled it all. I thought his unmasking stories were some of the best of that year. I honestly wouldn't have minded seeing where the creative team was going with it. I have other opinions on that issue that are for another thread.

I've likely read a ton of his SSM run, but so long ago that I was oblivious to writers at the time. I should pull some of those out and re-read them now.
    Founder and member of the Spidey 500 Club: Class of 2013.

Come join the club!

100% alive since 1978 Ben Smith's Avatar

I liked Peter David's Spider-Man work a lot. He was handed an impossible situation with the Ned Leed's Hobgoblin reveal, and made the best out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by cdale78 View Post
    I liked Peter David's Spider-Man work a lot. He was handed an impossible situation with the Ned Leed's Hobgoblin reveal, and made the best out of it.
    He absolutely did. And, when you get right down to it, that was probably the least among all his great Spider-Man work!
    "What oldschool said"
    The Shadow, 2008

100% alive since 1978 Ben Smith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    He absolutely did. And, when you get right down to it, that was probably the least among all his great Spider-Man work!
    as a kid, I loved ASM 289. I never had a thought about it being a copout or a disappointing reveal.

Cult of Love is one of my favorite stories easily, but Mary Janes role in that story is weak, why would she pose for photos then burn them to avoid them being published? As in why posing spoilers:
    NUDE
    end of spoilers for the camera?
    Blogger

I am obsessed with the idea of completely erasing Spider-Man from every Marvel continuity

Peter David has done an amazing job on Spider-Man. Spectacular was great back then, and FNSM was a fun title, very enjoyable. To be honest I have not read Spidey 2099 much. But X-Factor is the best marvel work.

Does anyone know the status of Fallen Angel?
    myspace.com/artofsimplicity

I am an anarchist. Deal with it.

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...-the-beginning

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Peter David is one of the greats, and it's a shame he hasn't had the opportunity to do more Spider-Man work. He's fantastic at mixing things up, as I've never gotten the sense he was telling the same story twice. He doesn't go with what works; he makes what he's going with work.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton