Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Mild-Mannered Reporter
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    28,928

    Default CBR: CBR TV @ NYCC: David Finch

    Writer/artist David Finch stopped by CBR TV to discuss his current work on "Batman: The Dark Knight," his confidence level when it comes to writing versus illustration, redesigning the Batman costume and more


    Full article here.

  2. #2

    Default

    Anyway, I want to wish you good luck with the Dark Knight book, and though my vision of what Batman is doesn't necessarily fit yours (I'm leaning twoards Grant Morrison's physically and mentally peak human at the height of his career - not only intelligence/deductive capabilities/instinct etc. wise - but also in the sense that all the martial arts and spiritual training/meditations he has underwent has elevated him to a point where I'd say he is at the opposite pole of damaged, while from what I'm understanding based on interviews you're leaning twoards some of, say, Frank Miller's angry/damaged perfect soldier/vigilante interpretations) I'm definitely looking forward to reading it.
    Last edited by Philosophía; 11-05-2010 at 10:47 AM.

  3. #3
    Dark Knight Detective DarkKnghtJared's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    7,879

    Default

    Yeah, some of what I read of how Mr. Finch describes the character I'm not 100% on (he's probably not the most mentally balanced guy in the world, but a psychopath?), but I'm curious to see how this goes, and I'm more than willing to give this series a shot.

  4. #4
    The female paraquat mofo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,001

    Default

    Errr someone want to summarize what was said in the interview?
    The sound on my laptop isnt working
    It's warping me

  5. #5

    Default

    But I can't wait until The Dark Knight (weird hearing that title in comic book form) comes out! From the preview pages I've seen, it really does look like a treat to the eyes. If the writing is half as good as it looks, then I'll enjoy it.
    Vacancy

  6. #6
    Earth Fun (Party Earth) Mr_Wayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Just outside of Gotham near Bludhaven.
    Posts
    782

    Default

    That wasn't a very convincing interview.
    “I've always wanted to diversify the DCU, but usually when I do it, James Robinson comes along and kills them all.“ -Grant Morrison

  7. #7
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    6

    Default

    looking forwards to reading this. I feel the interview was very honest and I'm sure he will get more confident as the title progresses

  8. #8
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,025

    Default

    He's also said elsewhere he loves the grim, "almost hateful" Batman. And this is Bruce in Gotham. This looks like an outlet for the people who dislike the Morrison direction.

  9. #9
    Elder Member Free-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    27,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Saxon View Post
    He's also said elsewhere he loves the grim, "almost hateful" Batman. And this is Bruce in Gotham. This looks like an outlet for the people who dislike the Morrison direction.
    Jinx. You owe me a coke.

    For the people who constantly complain about Morrison's take, this sounds like the book for you.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Dick_Wingnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,418

    Default

    But I thought Dick was going to be Gotham's Batman? :(

    Oh the undermining continues.

  11. #11
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,025

    Default

    I think this book is going to be ignored by the rest of the Batman team. Finch will bring back the Frank Miller Batman that runs contrary to Morriso. Being in Gotham contradicts what Paul Cornell said about Bruce being overseas during his B&R arc.

    While I wouldn't call it an elseworlds, it won't have any undermining or any implication at all on the rest of the Batman books. It's just a bone for the anti-Morrison crowd.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Tekkaman Blade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,266

    Default

    I enjoy Morrison's run and and have been looking forward to what David Finch would bring on the Dark Knight ever since it was first announced. I guess I just fail to see the correlation that is being implied.

    As for the interview Finch came across with his answers in an honest and humble manner which is refreshing.

  13. #13
    Elder Member Free-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    27,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tekkaman Blade View Post
    . I guess I just fail to see the correlation that is being implied.
    I don't think that liking Dark Knight automatically means you hate Morrison's stuff. I enjoyed B&R from start to finish and am looking forward to Batman Inc, but I'll also be checking out DK.

    The "correlation" Saxon was talking about comes from The Dark Knight basically seeming like the antithesis to what Morrison is doing. Morrison is an admitted fan of the crazy silver age stuff and it shows in his run, whereas Finch has said he wants to do something darker and more grounded ala Frank Miller. Morrison is of course behind the concept of Batman "franchising" through the use of the multiple Batmen of Batman Inc, while Finch has said that he doesn't think of Grayson as a legitimate Batman, as Bruce is the one and only in his opinion.

    So basically, while it isn't going to be true for everyone, the Dark Knight sounds exactly like the kind of book that the fans who hate Morrison would flock to.

  14. #14
    Senior Member JessieMidnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Free-Man View Post
    I don't think that liking Dark Knight automatically means you hate Morrison's stuff. I enjoyed B&R from start to finish and am looking forward to Batman Inc, but I'll also be checking out DK.

    The "correlation" Saxon was talking about comes from The Dark Knight basically seeming like the antithesis to what Morrison is doing. Morrison is an admitted fan of the crazy silver age stuff and it shows in his run, whereas Finch has said he wants to do something darker and more grounded ala Frank Miller. Morrison is of course behind the concept of Batman "franchising" through the use of the multiple Batmen of Batman Inc, while Finch has said that he doesn't think of Grayson as a legitimate Batman, as Bruce is the one and only in his opinion.

    So basically, while it isn't going to be true for everyone, the Dark Knight sounds exactly like the kind of book that the fans who hate Morrison would flock to.
    I don't know, I don't like some of Morrison's Bat work, but Finch's upcoming book doesn't sound like a book I'd flock too. I mean sure I'll check it out, and I think the art will be good, but its not going to be my fav Bat book.

    Also Morrison may be big in the Bat books, but his interpretation of the character isn't the sole one. Finch's take is just another interpretation of the character, and shouldn't be taken as an elseworld type tale. There has always been different Batman interpretations going on at the same time, and that's what is happening with Finch's book, and Morrison. Same character, just different stories, and styles.
    "Welcome to the party pal!" - John McClane - Die Hard

  15. #15
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JessieMidnight View Post
    There has always been different Batman interpretations going on at the same time, and that's what is happening with Finch's book, and Morrison. Same character, just different stories, and styles.
    Different interpretations sure. But the grim, brooding Batman that Finch will write just seems like character regression, even if it's just as valid. The whole point of Batman's role in 52 and his absence for a year was to burn away those demons in Thogul and come out a new man. This just looks like a place for Finch to let out what he wants, which is fine. But it's more like Neal Adams' Odyssey than the other mainstream Batman ongoings.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •