Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Where The Hell Am I - Nov 3, 2010

This week, Aaron interviews friend and fellow Kansas City comic book writer Dennis Hopeless, discussing the process of breaking into the comics industry, Hopeless' various projects currently in development and more.

Full article here.

Great article as usual. I've had the pleasure of meeting Dennis a few times down at KC's PlanetComicon. He's a cool guy with great talent, and I'm confident he'll see his dream(s) come true.

I can totally relate to his story as well. I found that you get good at being patient after a while, and it does give you an opportunity to keep on writing, and keep getting better at writing...well, at least I hope I'm getting better.

Thanks for the insight, Jason and Dennis!

I have no interest in a career in comics, but I find this column fucking fascinating. Keep up the good work, Jason!
    READ SNARKED!

I have alot of interest in the industry, and a whole heep of doubt, and I also find this article fasinating.

Glad to specifically hear about someone who holds down a 9-to-5 and still moves forward toward his goal in the industry.
    JOIN the discussion, TRACK your Collection, and do it for FREE... ComicBookRealm.com. Tell them Donuil23 sent you!

Default More great insight

Jason and Dennis really hit the nail on the head. I have been plugging away for the past 4 years since graduating (with a degree in comics no less), working all sorts of jobs to make ends meet. But at the end of the day and on every single day off I either hit the drawing board or the Wacom and try to make this dream come true. Comics may not be glamorous, but the creators are some of the friendliest and hardest working people in the world. Jason and some of my classmates are proof that you can make it one day.

Dan Hale
    Dan Hale

Comic Artist /// Pencils, Inks, Colors

http://www.thedanhale.com

Quote Originally Posted by donuil23 View Post
    Glad to specifically hear about someone who holds down a 9-to-5 and still moves forward toward his goal in the industry.
    Most of the people I collaborate with/publish with/commiserate with do the same. As do I. Actually, it seems the ones with good day jobs tend to succeed a little more with their comics moonlighting as opposed to the jobless/desperate, which seems backward on the surface but makes sense if you think about reliability, professionalism, patience, skill, etc.