Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Sarah Glidden on "How to Understand Israel"

CBR News talks with the creator of Vertigo's "How to Understand Israel in 60 Days or Less" about her experiences, the intersection of memoir and journalism and her upcoming trip to Iraq and Syria.

Full article here.

Great idea for a graphic novel (I have a friend that just came back from Israel and won't stop talkinga bout it) but the art doesn't do much for me.

Looks very interesting, and I think the nave art fits the rather complex subject material.

I'll be picking this up. Kind of gives me a jive similar to Safe Area Gorazde that I read recently.

Lightbulb

just for those who don't know or don't click on the link, her name IS SARAH Glidden.

I for one, love Sarah's art. I don't find it naive at all. It's cartoony...and she's a cartoonist.

Her reading last night in Brooklyn was really funny too!
    ComixCube.com : Freestyle Fridays -- comics talk to start your weekend.

I liked the preview in iZombie but I'll probably hold off until the tpb comes out

Quote Originally Posted by ammorris22 View Post
    I'll probably hold off until the tpb comes out
    Yeah, I could see this being the kind of tpb I use my points or gift cards on at some point; a writer I don't know but a book that looks interesting.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

ShaunN

Just read an interview with Sarah in Ha'aretz. I'm planning to pick up this book and see what she says. But I really hope that she managed to make a trip to the Palestinian territories and actually see how the Palestinians live herself. I doubt that a "Birthright" tour would allow for that, so she would have had to do it on her own.

sadly (I guess depending on how you look at it) the little previews that I've seen in other books about this has gotten me more interested in this book that I may now get.

Why sadly?

the frozen tundra of "not upstate" New York

I pre-ordered this and read it quickly. It's pretty good, for anyone still on the fence.
    X-Boards Have Taste V

XPOTM: May 2010

pff, pryde -- teddy

Quote Originally Posted by Halo Jones View Post
    Why sadly?
    well, I get a fair amount of comic books and when DC or anyone else decides to bombard their line of comics with such advertising like previews of this comic in the back of all their comics, I like to think that since I ignored them all and only checked out the preview once, I liked it, not due to the said constant image bombardment from advertising, but that I found something that was interesting to me. that is what I meant.

Got this for Christmas and read it in one sitting, not because it was lightweight reading but because it was too damn good to put down. Still trying to digest it all. It's disappointing in some key areas but I can't really blame Glidden for it because it's only so disappointing because she is so incredible at travelogue journalist cartooning that you can't help but notice what's missing (she had intended to go to the West Bank from the start after her Birthright tour ended but she doesn't end up going and the reasons are complex and part of a larger theme that looms over the whole narrative). I need to go back and revisit some things before I could write the kind of review that this book deserves but the short version is that everybody should go out and buy this book.

Caffeinated

So stressful to take on a topic like this. Major kudos.