Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Davis' "Earth One" Secret Origin

With "Superman: Earth One" on the stands, artist Shane Davis tells CBR about the media blitz, remixing Superman's origin story, his process for creating a new arch foe and why the hoodie wasn't really a big deal.

Full article here.

Doesn't Want To See That! coconutphone's Avatar

Good interview. I am disappointed that a follow up isn't already set in stone. I thought there was plans for a serie sof OGN.

But I think sales will justify a second one.
    Schmitty's Evil Twin.

Yeah great interview! I totally agree with what he said about people's negativity, and the odd comparisons to twighlight as if those reviewers didn't even read the book.

I also question what those people know about Superman other than the movies. People with such hardened opinions often have only one perspective on the character and thus feel like it should be unchangeable. People who've seen Birthright, the Man of Steel and other remakes along with elseworlds seem more open minded as they know it's ok to re-invent the character for a new audience and that those reinventions allow certain things about the character to be explored that can't be done in the mainstream comic.

Again i loved their take on Kryptonian technology!!! Great stuff. But something that can't be done in the mainstream comic b/c of the devotion to using the crystals and the Movie influence. Same with SMallville. I was actually excited in the first few seasons as they presented his ship, the key, and the caves as having a distinct vision of Kryptonian tech that was vastly different from the films. Unfortunately they abandoned that vision and went right back to the movie version. I hated that.

Anyway nice interview, i hope for consistency's sake Shane gets to illustrate the next Trade and JMS writes it, hopefully sells with mark it as a success.

I can't get over what a huge fan I am of Davis' art. It just seems so.. right for this character.

It doesn't matter what version of Krypton is in use in the main comics right now, they're not going to adapt the designs from "Earth One" into the main books. That defeats the whole purpose of this enterprise. Be it Byrne, Yu or Frank via the films, it wouldn't change over. Likewise, Alfred won't turn into the badass Sean Connery version, who would break his cane off upside Bruce's head for backtalking to him.

Earth Fun (Party Earth) Mr_Wayne's Avatar

Awesome interview. Anyone claiming all the "Emo/Twilight" crap obviously didn't read the book. So automatically if a character starts questioning his life he's Edward Cullen of Twilight?

Anyway... That was my local comic shop he was @ and yes I got mine signed. We had a huge party and book signing. Shane's a down to Earth dude and I'm glad he plugged the shop in his interview. Good press!
    I've always wanted to diversify the DCU, but usually when I do it, James Robinson comes along and kills them all. -Grant Morrison

once and future

I finally read it and I loved the book, but I wish they asked him why they didn't redesign Supes' costume since they basically changed Clark's entire look. A redesign would have really helped set in stone this continuity as distinct imo.