Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: John Carpenter To Direct "Darkchylde"

Horror legend John Carpenter has been officially named as the director of "Darkchylde," the live-action adaptation of the popular comic created by writer/artist Randy Queen.

Full article here.

I've never read any Darkchylde material before nor have I really been interested in doing so but with the inclusion of John Carpenter on the live-action film, I'm totally there for that. He's the f*#king master!!

Sounds cool, I'm interested but...

"Offering a stark contrast to super hero comics, Darkchylde was a breakout sensation of the late 90’s and early 2000’s, garnering immediate acclaim, and an unusually large female fanbase. The property went on to outsell Spider-Man, Superman, and Batman in both domestic and foreign audiences"

Um what?

Can anyone verify that claim at all?
    Ted Kord is Blue Beetle!
    Kyle Rainer is the one true Green Lantern!
    Wally West is the Flash!
    Donna Troy is Wonder Girl!

The Newer 52! Coming in Summer 2014

Strrrrrrrrrrrrex mailedbypostman1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kyoto View Post

"Offering a stark contrast to super hero comics, Darkchylde was a breakout sensation of the late 90ís and early 2000ís, garnering immediate acclaim, and an unusually large female fanbase. The property went on to outsell Spider-Man, Superman, and Batman in both domestic and foreign audiences"

Um what?

Yeah, that sounds a bit...out there.
    Strrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrex

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

John Carpenter's a very hit or miss director. he's responsible for my favorite movie. but he's churned out his share of crap. and that's with good ideas. Darkchylde sounds like a bad idea. even the spelling of the name makes it seem unmarketable, to me. this has about as much potential as Ultraviolet.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

There's a lot of skepticism that Carpenter really will make this (justified, considering his record), and it's been a long time since he's made anything good.

But Darkchylde really was a great series, with lots of potential to make a fantastic film. And if Weta remain involved (as they were a year or so ago, even making test footage), then there is real possibility of there being a good film out of this.
    virtue untested is innocence.
    When you choose the lesser of two evils, always remember it is still an evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    There's a lot of skepticism that Carpenter really will make this (justified, considering his record), and it's been a long time since he's made anything good.

Carpenter's problem, in my opinion, is that he got too popular. The movies he made cheap were good. But once he got real money to make his films, they turned to crap.

So, hopefully this movie will have a small budget.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

I only bought an issue or two of the series. It seems like it was popular for a short time and then (predictably) its creator burnt out.

Elder Member

Poster looks kinda cool. Other than that . . .

MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kyoto View Post

"Offering a stark contrast to super hero comics, Darkchylde was a breakout sensation of the late 90’s and early 2000’s, garnering immediate acclaim, and an unusually large female fanbase. The property went on to outsell Spider-Man, Superman, and Batman in both domestic and foreign audiences"

Um what?

Quote Originally Posted by mailedbypostman1 View Post
    Yeah, that sounds a bit...out there.
    Briefly outsold Superman, but I'm very skeptical of Batman and Spidey. The figures from 1996-1997 (pretty sure that's when Darkchylde sold the most) that I see have Batman selling 5-10k more and Spidey selling 30k more.
    Last edited by The Black Guardian; 11-01-2010 at 09:56 PM.
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier