Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: "Marvel: Point One" Initiative Announced

In February, the Marvel: Point One initiative will launch with select Marvel comic series marked with a ".1" after the issue number indicating the comic is a new reader friendly jumping on point to the storyline.

Full article here.

Interesting initiative.
    Daredevil, Hawkguy, Secret Avengers, Black Widow, Moon Knight, Magneto, Punisher, Wonder Woman, The Wake, Batman, Velvet, Jupiter's Legacy, Black Science,Starlight and Zero.

Sorry, but that's ****ing stupid

Default Worst idea ever.

This is so ****ing stupid and disfunctional, on so many levels, that by the time I finished typing out why, Marvel's publishing wing will already be out of business.

Not bad...

They say that each .1 issue will begin a new storyline and introduce the characters to new readers. Is that going to be done in the same story, or will there be a back up that is the introduction story? Will there be a non-.1 version of each issue (not that I wouldn't buy the .1 version anyway). And will the second issue of each title that month revert back to the $3.99 price?

Quote Originally Posted by NormanB View Post
    Sorry, but that's ****ing stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Madmike View Post
    This is so ****ing stupid and disfunctional, on so many levels, that by the time I finished typing out why, Marvel's publishing wing will already be out of business.
    What exactly is stupid about it?

Poor hacked Diamond Lil. Nevets F's Avatar

I think it's a pretty desperate move...especially with Gabriel saying at the end for retailers to stock up on these and subsequent issues.

It will ultimately fail.
    Read about the greatest series ever, Alpha Flight...from the beginning!

Someone, please explain to me how putting out one-shots for $2.99 that explicitly tell you about a new jumping-on point is a bad idea.
    READ SNARKED!

Quote Originally Posted by Ex_ View Post
    Someone, please explain to me how putting out one-shots for $2.99 that explicitly tell you about a new jumping-on point is a bad idea.
    Yeah... there is nothing BAD about the idea. I think having a .1 on the cover is a little weird (and potentially confusing to new readers now that I think about it)... but over all, it's a good idea.

Brian is ainm dom. :) Nova2814.1's Avatar

I can see where Marvel is coming from, but unless the trade dress is very clear, I can see it confusing current readers more than helping new ones. For example, will it be clear at a glance that Iron Man #500.1 is not a reprint of Iron Man #500 (and so on)?

On the plus side, at least the price will be a guaranteed $2.99.

Interestingly, Tom Brevoort was asked about a similar topic on his Formspring and this is what he said:

Q: I've been in a coma for 10 years and I have absolutely no idea what is going on in the marvel universe atm. What should I do? Where should I start? Should I just read the wiki entries to save money?

TB: I think we make it pretty easy to get caught up, so I would suggest just diving in with whatever characters are your favorites. All the Marvel books have a recap page at the start that should help to get you up to speed.

It sounds like a good idea to me.... a way to announce "jumping on point" without relaunching a series at yet another new #1. $2.99 is nice, too.

Maybe this will keep us from dozens of unnecessary relaunches in the future.

makes sense. theres always a time i wanan try out a title but i donn't wanna be lost . good call marvel!
    Ready for the return of the one and only Spider-Man!!

Futurist Detective TonyStark1012's Avatar

It's an intresting concept. Hopefully it will bring in new readers. I'll definitely check out the Iron Man and Avenger issues to see how they are.
    "That's not just "one man"! That's TONY FREAKING STARK. You're intel should've warned us that he was James Bond and "Q" wrapped in the same guy!" Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by strathcona View Post
    Yeah... there is nothing BAD about the idea. I think having a .1 on the cover is a little weird (and potentially confusing to new readers now that I think about it)... but over all, it's a good idea.
    I imagine it will have a banner at the top, telling what the .1 means. Not only that but LCS employees will be familiar with it, and will presumably be pushing things.
    READ SNARKED!

Quote Originally Posted by Nova2814.1 View Post
    I can see where Marvel is coming from, but unless the trade dress is very clear, I can see it confusing current readers more than helping new ones. For example, will it be clear at a glance that Iron Man #500.1 is not a reprint of Iron Man #500 (and so on)?
    There wouldn't be #500 and #500.1. There would just be #500.1 and with 501 coming in the same month. Seems like a great idea an extra issue in every month that a new arc launches specifically aimed at new readers.