Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Shooter Takes on "Mighty Samson"

CBR News spoke with Jim Shooter about the December-launching, post-apocalyptic "Mighty Samson," the fourth Dell/Gold Key hero to be re-imagined for Dark Horse Comics by the legendary writer .

Full article here.

I love these interviews with Jim Shooter and I can't wait for this series!

Napoleon of Crime Professor Moriarty's Avatar

i'm looking forward to it.

and here's that fan site: http://dark-key.com/

Elder Member

I might check this out just for Oliffe's art.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Moriarty View Post

Great site. I can't wait for this book!

Senior Member Stephane Garrelie's Avatar

Thumbs up

I added this book to my pull-list too. Nice interview.
    I follow: Batgirl, Nightcrawler (For Claremont, but i like Nauck's art too), Flash Gordon.

Marvel and DC take note, these have been 3.50 books that I will gladly pay the price to get them new.
    Then I get a couple of extra copies at shows to share.

Stuff happens and good art.
    The Gurnee Comic and toy show returns Sept 9th at the Gurnee Holiday Inn. Bigger room, more stuff!

I remember reading the original Mighty Samson, it was one of the most WTF experiences of my childhood, because it was so different from other comics- the monsters they came up were bizarre and fun, but nearly in every episode, someone (other than the protagonists Samson, Mindor and Sharmaine) died! It DID make you feel that they lived in a hopeless world!

Shooter has always been one of my favorite writers, I trust him to do good things with this series.

I think this will be great.
    READ SNARKED!

I too was a major fan of the classic Mighty Samson stories. Absolutely my favorite of all the classic Gold Key titles. I was afraid the rumors of Shooter resurrecting him for Dark Horse were mere speculation. So glad to hear they're true!!!

NEW VALIANT blog is up! Manga4life's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Moriarty View Post

Looks like this site isn't updated regularly or even slightly maintained, I don't think it's official either (but it looks cool). Dark Horse needs to pay more attention to these books and possibly build their own website (and promote it) geared toward the line of books.

Quote Originally Posted by Manga4life View Post
    Looks like this site isn't updated regularly or even slightly maintained, I don't think it's official either (but it looks cool). Dark Horse needs to pay more attention to these books and possibly build their own website (and promote it) geared toward the line of books.
    Agreed. There have already been small hints at inter-title continuity (the Lovejoy company being referenced in both Solar and Magnus, for example). I think Shooter's building a universe again, and it's going to need support in order to thrive.

Say what you will about Shooter's past history, he has been working on some of the more interesting projects out there. Solar and Magnus have so far been kind of blah reads but they can only go up at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by ayof View Post
    Say what you will about Shooter's past history, he has been working on some of the more interesting projects out there. Solar and Magnus have so far been kind of blah reads but they can only go up at this point.
    Other than the fact that he's nearly impossible to work with, what's anyone been saying about Shooter's past? Nearly everything the man ever put his heart into is widely regarded as a classic these days. Even New Universe was a ground breaking concept, regardless of the fact that Marvel management did everything they could to kill it before it started.

Really, the only Shooter stuff that ever struck me as being unimpressive was some of the stuff he did for Defiant and Broadway, but I can't fault the guy. Trying to launch three universes in the span of less than ten years has got to be exhausting.

Senior Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shaxper View Post
    Other than the fact that he's nearly impossible to work with, what's anyone been saying about Shooter's past? Nearly everything the man ever put his heart into is widely regarded as a classic these days. Even New Universe was a ground breaking concept, regardless of the fact that Marvel management did everything they could to kill it before it started.

Really, the only Shooter stuff that ever struck me as being unimpressive was some of the stuff he did for Defiant and Broadway, but I can't fault the guy. Trying to launch three universes in the span of less than ten years has got to be exhausting.
    I'm sure John Byrne still harbors a few unkind words for Shooter.

I stumbled across a few issues from Defiant, and saw some issues written by Chris Claremont and Len Wein, which surprised me because I thought Claremont harbored a grudge against Shooter for the resurrection of Jean Grey.