Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Where The Hell Am I - Oct 27, 2010

Jason Aaron gives aspiring comic book writers tips on the art of the pitch with the help of some of the biggest editors in comics. Plus, he shares pitch for his "Joker's Asylum" one-shot and a Vertigo zombie series.

Full article here.

Yeah, it shouldn't be called a pitch, but a bitch. A lot easier to write the script and speak in the language of writing rather than trying to convey what something else is going to convey. I like the column btw.

33408 is the other way ian33407's Avatar

Default Hey jason

i'm about to read your Arkham / Penguin ' pitch, i love the Penguin...

are you influent enough to make the studios hire Damon Packard to play this character in a further Batman movie ?

or to make them hiring him to direct the next ' Shade the changing man' (Peter Milligan' American Scream ) movie ?

You lost me in the 3 paragraph ef the i zombie pitch. Still great advice.

Jason, did you have self-published work done before 'The Other Side' or was that your first gig? Were you literally depending on that pitch to Vertigo to start off your comic career?

Either way, this was a very interesting column and a great help for when the day comes when I eventually have to write a pitch for my work. Thanks!

Cool exec, heart of steel BillR's Avatar

I'd buy the hell out of that zombie comic.

I can see why the zombie idea is cool, but I also start to veer away from it as I read on. I think it says a lot about how we see our own ideas and how we would execute them. While they might seem like the greatest thing since the moon landing, it's not always going to look that way to someone else.

Still, I do see promise in the zombie pitch and, hell, what do I know?

Thanks for a great column!

33408 is the other way ian33407's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillR View Post
    I'd buy the hell out of that zombie comic.
    me too.
    even love to see it between two story-arcs of the actual character, that would expand the universe of this title...

Professional Dinosaur hyakprods's Avatar

Default 1 email, 2 pitches

Is it kosher to pitch 2 titles at once, or editors' attention spans being what they are, is it fair to assume you should consider yourself lucky if they read one at all?

Loved that zombie pitch. And I am sick to DEATH of everything zombie-related right now. It has always annoyed me in all fiction when the majority of zombie survivors are unreasonably altruistic just because writers are afraid of what would happen if we rooted for the zombies.

Thanks for going to the trouble of actually asking all the editors what they're looking for.

Thanks for posting this (even if this is over three years ago). I am a writing planing to pitch if idea to DC (if they let me). I plan on pitching it in the summer. Besides that I'm writing a book. Also right now I'm self teaching myself formatting, screenwriting, entrepreneurship and business. So I got a lot my my plate.

I like your idea of I, Zombie (although it might need to be renamed). But their is somethings I like to point-out, Like it is two pages long, not many characters mentioned, you waited til later to mention the twenty survivors, and whatever happened to the priest? I guess he gets eaten, but you didn't supply a name or an ending for him in the pitch. Maybe he died due to cannibalism? You have lust, rape, cannibalism, nudity, and zombies eating people; what was the intended age group?

I don't think this should be a comic (personal opinion) but more like one of those books with pictures. No not a children's book, but like one of those books that eventually leads up to pictures to depict the scene. Email me you you decide to do this (or if you already did it) because I might be interested in reading this.