Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Pipeline - Oct 26, 2010

Augie takes a look at this week's highly anticipated "Superman: Earth One" graphic novel, and sees some promise. Also, travel back to the 90s once more for a look at the Ultraverse's F.A.N. Committee and more.

Full article here.

I get the feeling that Ultraverse is one of those lost gems of the 90s not only with characters but also the publisher who seemed to have a great way of working that I wish could've survived the craziness that occurred that decade

That Darn Dragon... The Patent Dragon's Avatar

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by gzapata View Post
    I get the feeling that Ultraverse is one of those lost gems of the 90s not only with characters but also the publisher who seemed to have a great way of working that I wish could've survived the craziness that occurred that decade
    Emphatically seconded. My first ever pull-list had a strong dose of Ultraverse.
    - Cap - Avengers (Regular/New/Secret/Academy) - Marvel Cosmic - GL/Corps/Emerald Warriors - Brightest Day - Birds of Prey - Zatanna -

Thumbs up

Thanks, Augie! After all these years, I finally get to see what a Baldy Award looked like.

Quote Originally Posted by bh123 View Post
    Thanks, Augie! After all these years, I finally get to see what a Baldy Award looked like.
    Happy to be of service, Ben. I wonder if (A) they're still giving them out, and if so, (B) do they use the same postcards?

-Augie

Quote Originally Posted by gzapata View Post
    Honestly, I don't think it was as good as many remember it for being, though it did have some cool stuff in it, and some nice creators on board, who would be more popular later one.

Still, I wouldn't mind a "Prime" collection, or maybe a "Freex" collection.

-Augie

The very fact I actually bought the Ultraverse comics -when I have rarely if ever bought something not from Marvel or DC (superhero comics anyway)- proves how good they were. Of course that quality was mostly due to their hiring pros who had worked on the Big Two to make them. They also had plenty of good ideas, like Mantra with the whole male-warrior-stuck-in-a-female-sorceress-body that you hardly ever saw back in those days.

This week, we start with a couple of quick artifacts from my letterhacking days. For those of you that have only been reading comics for the last decade or so, there was a time when comics regularly published a page - or even two! - of fan letters in the back. Prior to Pipeline, that's how I vented my opinions. In the span of a decade or so, I had about 300 (or was it 400?) letters printed.

I remember that time, every other book I read had a letter from you, or Olav Beemer, in it.
    At that time I often wondered wether we had the same taste or wether you just read every comic published.

I can honestly say that I don't think that I ever bought any of the Ultraverse titles.

Quote Originally Posted by die_yng View Post
    I remember that time, every other book I read had a letter from you, or Olav Beemer, in it.
    At that time I often wondered wether we had the same taste or wether you just read every comic published.
    Those were fun times. And Olav read more than I did, and definitely got more printed. I liked the people who assumed we were one and the same. I'm always tempted to ask them which oddball name they thought was my real one, and which was the fake one. . .

I read a lot, but not nearly as much as you might think.

-Augie