Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default CBR: Mark Waid wants YOUR Questions

Do you ever see the potential to expand the characters of the universe into a shared-continuity series of series by other authors? I understand the need for a slow build, but so far things are going swimmingly with the Irredeemable universe. It seems like this might be a good time to expand BOOM!'s publishing line accordingly. Plus, more comics for us!

Mild-Mannered Reporter

This weekend at Long Beach Comic Con, BOOM! Studios CCO Mark Waid will again attempt to answer 50 Questions in 50 Minutes on a panel moderated by CBR's Jonah Weiland...and we want YOUR questions! Updated

Full article here.

Will the Disney and Pixar books stay at BOOM or is a move to Marvel in the works for them?
    Last edited by Donsterdamus; 10-25-2010 at 02:41 PM. Reason: forgot title

What was the issue or event from DC comics that prompted you to give up collecting new books on a regular basis?

Regardless of your personal affinity for the Silver Age, and given the state of Superman today, do you think the character would be in better shape if DC would have fully supported the "new" Superman that Byrne introduced with The Man of Steel instead of trying to reboot the character every few years?
    "I was handed a chocolate bar and an M-1 rifle and told to go kill Hitler."--Jack "King" Kirby

Of all comic book publishers (excluding Boom), which one is "doing it right" in your opinion in terms of offering the best deal to creators and taking care of their employees? Why?

With the Cross Gen Universe returning, what characters from that universe would you like to write again for?

What's the #1 story arc of your career you'd like people to read?

SHOW ME YOUR THUMBS!! BohemiaDrinker's Avatar

Thank you for taking the time, Mr. Waid. Here are some questions:

1 - A big part of your body of work is in DC Comics, and I think it`s fair to say you made quite an impact there. However, more than any other writter, this work appears to have been sistematically undone - the current status of the Flash universe, both your LSH teams being shipped to "limbo" and Earth Prime, a new Superman origin, Kingdom Come`s ending having an "alternative" version - all in a timeframne of less than four years. Sorry if this question is not an elegant one, but: do you believe that this is intentional (as in "some important guy at DC really doesn`t like you or something), do you think that your vision simply disagreed with DC `s editorial plans, or is thios a "case by case" thing scenario?

2 - You have been advocating that the industry should really embrace Digital as a new way of distribution, and have been pointing some changes that you believe should be made as fast as possible, such as availabilty and a lower price point. Do you think that international markets can also contribute to this transition (specially, but not only, the english speaking ones?). Also, do you think advertisment in the digital form may help to lower the price point?

3 - It`s well known how much you love Superman; and yet, Irredeemable has shown us a really perverted analogue. Was this a choice made to chalenge yourself as writter (as in "taking somthing you really love and making it hatefull")? What was the process that led to this choice in particular?

4 - While in Superman, whats Superman Social Security number? (I had to try this one).

5 - Favorite comic writters and favorite titles, as of today?

I believe that`s it. Again, taking for doing this.

1- In Incorruptible, will Headcase be replacing Jailbait? Seems like Jailbait's being written out of the series.

2- Early solicits for Incorruptible mentioned Max Damage changing his name to Max Daring. Has this idea been dropped or is it still in the works?

3- You've mentioned your ideas for how to handle digital distribution of comics. When will we get to see/hear those ideas?

4- Any chance you'll be letting other writers handle the Irredeemable-verse characters?

EDIT- Almost forgot. Any word on additional merchandise, like your stylin' Plutonian symbol cap or a similarly styled shirt?
    Last edited by G. Wayne; 10-25-2010 at 03:37 PM.

Moderate Moderator Javier Velasco's Avatar

In interviews, you have stated that you were unhappy with your take on Wonder Woman in Kingdom Come. Why do think this iconic character has proven so difficult for writers to write and for a certain side of fandom to embrace?

Thank you for your time Mr. Waid, I have two questions for you:
    1. Due to your experience writing Superman, you have a unique perspective on what it is like to create compelling stories for Superman, a feat which you accomplished brilliantly. However, many other writers struggle and fail in this endeavor. Do you think Superman would be a more interesting character if his powers were downgraded and some of them maybe eliminated to either Man of Steel levels or even lower than that? This way, simple lack of sunlight or power could become more of a limitation for him with being thrust aside in exchange for this more interesting weakness? If not, how do you think Superman could be improved?

2. What do you see as Max Damage/Danger's biggest challenge moving forward (the threat of the Plutonian, overcoming the limitations of his powers, etc.)?

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Will Seekers Into Mystery ever be collected in its entirety?
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Are you still sworn off superhero books? And what was that straw that broke the camel's back?
    The Punisher: Im going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pants Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youll die screaming! And Ill watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

Hiding in plain sight

Default Empire

Is there a chance you and Barry Kitson will revisit Empire, or have you said all you wanted to say with that story?