Page 6 of 134 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

I like the art in the Super Special, and I thought he should've said Uncle Ben was his hero since he raised him and all. There I made a comment

Seriously though I check this thread everyday if you want some help on reviews let me know.
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine
    Bring Back Ultimate Wolverine...again!

Okay, I probably shouldn't be surprised - and I know none of you are - but the small amount of motivation I received led to me doing another review. It helped that the issues were great and a lot of fun to write about. So here's to second winds!

Ultimate X-Men Ė Return to Weapon X (#7-13)
    My Rating: 9/10

I said in my review of the first X-Men arc that I could tell it was the start of something amazing, and this was the beginning of that payoff. Iím really starting to miss the old Millar (and that feeling is going to get even worse after Ultimates 1, I know), because he writes much better characters in this book. I really like the team heís put together here, and he has a great handle on each one of them.

I think the best part of this arc was the reimagining of the Weapon X program. Itís not inherently different than the 616 version, but I love how itís much bigger than just Wolverine. Several of the X-Men (Rogue and Nightcrawler, that we know of now) and many of the other mutants have some kind of tie to Weapon X. And Wraith is just plain ruthless. Heís a racist, mutant hating bastard with absolutely no redeeming qualities. The line ďItís no more human than you areĒ to Cyclops made my skin crawl. Whatís scary is how real that is. This situation is so much like what African Americans went through in the United States for hundreds of years. Unfortunately, I know that there would be people still today who would react that way if mutants existed.

Millar makes every character that real, too. The X-Men are way more relatable than most comic characters, and much more than the 616 X-Men. Beast and Stormís relationship, though brought on a little quickly, is great. And I love the way that Beast was given his secondary mutations. Jean, rather than portrayed as a clichť ďover-hero,Ē makes a very real choice between the man she loves and a total stranger; yet sheís also very conflicted in that love. Nightcrawler hates what heís doing but knows his survival depends on it. Colossus is doing everything he can to overcome the years he spent doing things against his will, but still has plenty of bent up rage towards the humans that mistreated him so. In fact, they all collectively struggled when Colossus was contemplating killing the SHIELD agents. Each member has several great moments, and I canít wait to see them grow more Ė individually and as a team.

The plot is awesome. Itís like the X-Men movies rolled up into one, but way better. I think itís probably one of the best human vs. mutant debate stories Iíve read. I love how Weapon X despises mutants and wants them all to die, but theyíre okay with using them for tasks they canít do themselves; it points out a lot of the irony in racism. And then there was the awesome moment of the Brotherhood saving the X-Men from Weapon X. They set aside their differences Ė blood is thicker than water, and what not Ė to conquer the greater evil, but then split up again when it came to the killing issue. I can tell that thereís going to be some great X-Men and Brotherhood interaction in the future, especially with the revelation that Magneto is still alive.

Like Iíve said many times before, one of my favorite things about all these books is how they are developing a connected Universe. I thought it was awesome that Fury was involved as a major player in this arc and that Wolverine was the one who took his eye out. There was also a big reference to the forming of the Ultimates. And Loeb earns points with me for what heís done in Ultimate X now that Iíve reread the conversation between Sabretooth and Wolverine. Anyone else catch it?

The only downside for me in this arc was the art. Kubert is a good artist, but heís just way too inconsistent for my tastes. His character designs are all really good, and I love the costumes (having Weapon X put the X-Men in 616-like costumes was great). But sometimes everything is just off. There are plenty of times when the art is fantastic, but Iíd rather have consistency in the art. His covers are the same way; some are awesome (I love #7 and 12), but others (#11 in particular) I hate.

Now that the X-Men are really coming together as a team, I look forward to seeing where they go from here. Weíve got another X-Men arc next, so weíll get to find out, I suppose. Hopefully Millarís writing can keep up at this level.

Up Next: Ultimate X-Men Ė Filler Arc; World Tour (Issues #13-20)
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

This arc just kept a good thing going for me. I couldn't agree more with your assesment of Weapon X's treatment of mutants, also I like that they fall under Shield juristiction, shows a dark side to the world peace keeping force. One of my favorite parts was the re-imagining of nightcrawlers intro into the X-Verse. Also the Wolverine/Sabertooth fight was a bunch of fun to read/look at. I also enjoyed the idea that Logan called both Fury and the Brotherhood to come bust some heads. Great arc.

Plawsky I gotta say I don't get what connection you saw in this in Ult X, could you let me know please :)
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine
    Bring Back Ultimate Wolverine...again!

Didnt really care for the Ultimate X-men as a whole because I feel that you can only do so much with them and overall it feels like the same stuff I watched on the tv. Just how I feel. But since Wolverine12 is a big fan of this Ill talk about it.

First I have to say i couldnt get a hold of these issues so Im going from memory of the first tiem i read these issues. I have read new x-men academy and the new X-23 comics so comic wise I dont really know the X-men so it was all new for me comic book wise. I always new Nightcrawler and Rogue as the good guys and Weapon X as something Bad so seeing them being a Part of Weapon X was a surprise and it was cool. My favourite thing would be that we get to see how everything is connected in the ultimate universe by Nick Furys apperance. The part I hated the most was that Mags was still alive. I have always found prof. X as kind of evil or manipulative(maybe because of the voice in the 90s x-men cartoon) so I thought he would have really let him die. So at that point I knew Mags would be back.

As for the art I dont really care as long as I can tell whats going on its good to me. Overall Id give this 8/10.

You totally expected to see Wolverine Snikety Snikting his way into the complex saving the day. Seeing the Brotherhood show up to save the day was unexpected
    So...whose neck do I break first?

Well...actually when Rogue/Rouge (can never remember the spelling) was first introduced in 616....she was a villain.....and like 50 years old (she got de-aged a LOT). A lot of people forget that. Having her in weapon X makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by VRaptorX View Post
    Well...actually when Rogue/Rouge (can never remember the spelling) was first introduced in 616....she was a villain.....and like 50 years old (she got de-aged a LOT). A lot of people forget that. Having her in weapon X makes sense.
    Thats 30 years before my time and still a few more before i got into comics so I never knew to begin with. I just know she tends to change sides or at least she did in the cartoon. Thats pretty cool though, thanks for that piece of history.

You're welcome. And I wasn't trying to insult you either. I never knew about the villain thing until a few years ago, myself.

Quote Originally Posted by VRaptorX View Post
    She was never suppose to be so old in her first appearance. The artist thought she was an old woman because she had a white streak in her hair.
    Last edited by Chaos_Alfa; 12-04-2010 at 12:17 PM.

I like how they introduced other characters in weapon x

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos_Alfa View Post
    She was never suppose to be so old in her first appearance. The artist thought she was an old woman because she had a white streak in her hair.
    news to me. I could have sworn though there was a "I absorbed your youthful looks" excuse somewhere in the series. I guess that was retconned?

They should collect the original UU stuff into omnibus format. I would love a 25-50 issue book in my collection.

Re-reading that part, there is something that is harsher in hindsight concerning poor Bobby Drake : in the current UCSM stories, the boy is trying desperately to get a girlfriend, and reading that story reminds me that he used to have a steady girlfriend before Xavier erased his memories of her and her memories of him because he talked to her about the school. The fact that Xavier seeks for Jean's support on the matter by lying to her just makes him even more of a manipulative bastard.

Yeah, that's the weird thing about Xavier for me. He's got (what seem to be) good intentions, but damn if he doesn't have some questionable morals. I completely understand his motives, using things like memory wipes as an unfortunate means to an end, but he also seems to be very self serving.

I think Millar does a fantastic job at portraying the inherent differences, yet striking similarities, between Xavier and Magneto. It's easy to see how they used to be best friends.

Suggested related reading - X-Men: Deadly Genesis by Ed Brubaker. It deals with these issues of Xavier, and it's really good stuff (not Ultimate, though).
    Last edited by Plawsky; 12-07-2010 at 03:51 AM.
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

so plawsky are you still going to write reviews