Page 1 of 134 123451151101 ... LastLast

Default Reading the Ultimate Universe from the beginning!

Okay, so lately, this board has been full of a lot of arguing over just a few topics. And I think that's gotten a little tiring. So after getting out my Ultimate long box and thinking about reading through it all again, I thought let's have some fun with this! So here's my idea:

Over the next few months, I'm going to read through the whole Ultimate Universe. I'll report back here as I go along so I can do quick reviews of each book. I think it'd be fun if we all did this, though I know it's a lot of reading. Like, a lot of reading. But even if you don't read it all, surely you can find the time to read a few stories here and there. And at the very least, I know we've almost all read this stuff before, so we can all discuss it.

And here's an added bonus, hopefully. If you're new to Ultimate Marvel, read along! This really is a great way to get into comics, and since we're starting from the beginning, there's nothing to be behind on!

This is how I'm hoping this will work:
    1) I'm following the order detailed by Domenic in this post. It's probably not perfect, but it's good enough. I like it better than the release order, at least. There's a few books missing from the list, so I'll have a "NEXT TIME..." line at the bottom of each review for guidance.
    2) I'll hopefully read an arc or two every few days. Not only will that give me time to read, but we'll have some time to discuss.
    3) Let's try to keep discussions about the books that have already been covered. Additionally, please keep spoilers to a minimum. Not about the stories we're discussing, those spoilers are fair game, but future books. In case there are new readers joining us, I don't want anything ruined for them. I understand some may just slip out (after all, some of these are 10 years old), but just be careful.
    4) Obviously, feel free to read ahead. However, let's attempt to stay at roughly the same place when it comes to discussions.
    5) Try not to let feuds from other threads creep into this one. I know we all have differences, but let's stay on topic for once here. I don't want to see the word Ultimatum for a long time in this thread.
    6) I'm going to give each book an arbitrary rating. They probably won't stay consistent, but oh well. You all should too!
    7) Have fun! (Lame, I know...but isn't that required to be the last rule?!)

That's about all I can think of. I think this could be really awesome if people participate; otherwise it's just me ranting. Hopefully, this is just what this board needs to get some positive discussions again. Also, if you know of anyone looking to get into comics, point them this way - I would love for this to be how someone started reading, but I know that's probably overly ambitious. For now, let's just enjoy this for what it is. God help us when we get to Loeb, though...

Finally, let me know if you have any ideas of how this could work better, be more entertaining, or whatever. I want as much participation as possible.
    Last edited by Plawsky; 10-27-2010 at 12:26 AM.
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

Default Ultimate Iron Man

Up first is... Ultimate Iron Man! Issues 1-5.
    My Rating: 7.5/10

I really don't understand why I've seen so many people that disliked this book. I really liked it. I know it doesn't necessarily fit with Millar's Iron Man from Ultimates, but it doesn't really contradict it either. It sucks that Millar is retconning this out of canon, because I don't think there's any need for that. So far, there's nothing here that couldn't have existed in line with his Avengers, but I guess we'll have to see what he does with Gregory Stark.

This series definitely started on a high note. The first two issues were awesome, I thought. I thought the bio-armor was a really cool idea, and how can you not like Howard Stark as a character here? He's a great guy, super smart, and completely dominates Stane and his ex-Wife when it comes to the hostile takeover. Tony's brain being all over his body was a cool side effect of his mother's death, and pretty smart as an explanation. Also, the relationship between Howard and Tony early on is great; I love seeing him raise Tony as a child. Later on, I liked the way that Tony and Rhodes formed a bond. And Stane as a completely evil person was very well done. I really hated that bastard.

The story kind of lost some steam as Tony grew up though. The pacing was off in a lot of places, especially when they first arrive at the Baxter Building. It was hard to tell exactly what Tony's age was through the last 3 issues. I think the arc could have benefited from another issue, filling some time, everything just happened so quickly.

In the end though, it was a very enjoyable read. All the characters were well written. And for me, this is exactly what an Ultimate Origin is supposed to be. It is COMPLETELY different from 616 Tony. Don't get me wrong the Vietnam (now Afghanistan) origin is great, it really is. But this one's awesome, too. I love that Tony is Iron Man since birth. Him having regeneration is odd, but I don't mind it, and I think it could have easily been written out without a retcon. I really like, too, how involved Howard is in Iron Man's creation, and the added craziness of Obidiah being almost related to Tony.

Say what you will about Orson Scott Card. Regardless of his supposedly wacky views, he put out a great reimagined origin story for this character. If only Mark Millar could see it that way, though. What are y'all's thoughts on this book?

Next time: Ultimate Iron Man II...
    Last edited by Plawsky; 10-27-2010 at 12:22 AM.

I remember enjoying this when I read it (which was quite a long time ago now).

It had it's moments but ultimately I was of the opinion "good, not great".

Count me in Plawsky!! I love nothing more than re-reading my favorite stories and I could read Ult X-Men vol 1 a million times and still want to read it again.
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine
    Bring Back Ultimate Wolverine...again!

I loved this for what it was the writing was great, the characters were cool and interesting and it was smart. Reading it again now seems kind of pointless and lost its meaning because there is no real connection aside from names in the title. Its still a great book though and if you like iron man I would say pick it up.

This was a cool idea cant wait till we get to UFF#1.

Yep - I'm up for this. Are we going to be including the cross over titles like Squadron Supreme and Marvel Zombies or is it purely for those under the Ultimate imprint?

i would rate UIM 1 about a 3/5.

Quote Originally Posted by Samorai_black View Post
    This was a cool idea cant wait till we get to UFF#1.
    Yeah, yesterday when I was putting my comics in order I got SO excited when I got to UFF. Unfortunately, that's not for a while...

Quote Originally Posted by horsehead View Post
    Yep - I'm up for this. Are we going to be including the cross over titles like Squadron Supreme and Marvel Zombies or is it purely for those under the Ultimate imprint?
    For now, just the Ultimate. One, I don't own Squadron or Zombies, although that isn't a huge roadblock. But two, that's just adding a lot of reading to an already huge stack of books. Those books are technically canon with Ultimate Power and FF 21-23, but not necessary to read the UU. In a few months, though, when we're done - maybe we can backtrack and do Supreme Power and Marvel Zombies. Who knows?

Got to admit, I'm really glad I got some people joining me for this. Now just get ready for a lot of reading.

I wouldn't worry so much about Zombies but Supreme Power is will worth reading - I think it ranks up there with the best of Ultimate Marvel and fits in pretty well if they were ever to do more cross overs

Quick question, do we have to read Ultimate Team Up? Most of those were pretty terrible. Also they don't make a lot of sense in the grand scheme of things lol.
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Quick question, do we have to read Ultimate Team Up? Most of those were pretty terrible. Also they don't make a lot of sense in the grand scheme of things lol.
    "Have to"? No. But I'm going to, and I'll post about them. I thought some of them were actually pretty cool. It's mainly just the FF one (#8 or 9 I think) that was non-canon wacky. But it's still a fun read. I like UMTU in that Bendis and Marvel had no clue yet exactly what the UU was going to be. Bendis was just telling some fun stories, probably thinking it wouldn't go very far.

Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    "Have to"? No. But I'm going to, and I'll post about them. I thought some of them were actually pretty cool. It's mainly just the FF one (#8 or 9 I think) that was non-canon wacky. But it's still a fun read. I like UMTU in that Bendis and Marvel had no clue yet exactly what the UU was going to be. Bendis was just telling some fun stories, probably thinking it wouldn't go very far.
    I've got the super huge TPB so I'll have to flip thru it and see how I feel lol. Other than those I'm in for the long haul.
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine

Just Sayin'

This is a great idea Plawsky. I would stick to trades though instead of single issues for youe review, make it go a little quicker. I'm in for the most part, I've gotta go through my comics and sort them but I need to do that anyways so you have given me a reason!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Brown View Post
    This is a great idea Plawsky. I would stick to trades though instead of single issues for youe review, make it go a little quicker. I'm in for the most part, I've gotta go through my comics and sort them but I need to do that anyways so you have given me a reason!
    Yeah, I'm reviewing by arc, I just used the UIM #1 cover for the image. I'm not quite crazy enough to review every issue.

-------------------------------------

Before we get to UIM II, what does everyone think of the reimagining of Tony's origin? Do you like that he has powers of some kind? Does the character lose something from not being connected to war? What about the new ways the relationships work between Tony/Howard, Tony/Rhodey, and Tony/Obadiah?

As I mentioned, I like all of it, and I'm sad to see it leave canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    Yeah, I'm reviewing by arc, I just used the UIM #1 cover for the image. I'm not quite crazy enough to review every issue.

-------------------------------------

Before we get to UIM II, what does everyone think of the reimagining of Tony's origin? Do you like that he has powers of some kind? Does the character lose something from not being connected to war? What about the new ways the relationships work between Tony/Howard, Tony/Rhodey, and Tony/Obadiah?

As I mentioned, I like all of it, and I'm sad to see it leave canon.
    First off we all know you are crazy enough to review each issue

As for your question I like the origin of Tony Stark. It makes sense in the modern world and if his dad is close to him I would imagine that he would be more likely to develop at a quicker pace than he did in 616. I never liked the whole regeneration angle but other than that I thought it was great.
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine