Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Dynamite Announces "Sherlock Holmes: Year One"

Dynamite Entertainment has announced a new series based on classic detective Sherlock Holmes with a story written by Scott Beatty and illustrated by Daniel Lindro exploring the iconic character's beginnings.

Full article here.

NOT Bucky O'Hare! The Confessor's Avatar

I loved Dynamite's last Sherlock Holmes mini-series but I have my reservations about this one. That article says that the book will explore "the sleuth's untold origins" and show Holmes and Watson's first meeting. Trouble is, Holmes and Watson's first meeting was covered in detail in A Study in Scarlet and there's a fair bit of exploration of Holme's origins done in a few of Arthur Conan Doyle's later stories. I'm concerned that this mini-series will start contradicting things from the Conan Doyle canon.

What I liked about Dynamite's last Holmes series was that it was very faithful to Conan Doyle's depiction of the great detective…it really nailed the essence of the characters and their world with a real sense of respect for the original material. If this mini-series is gonna play fast and loose with established Sherlockian continuity, I'm not gonna waste my money on it I’m afraid.

EDIT: Also, calling this series "Year One". I mean, seriously? Is that the best you could come up with?
    Last edited by The Confessor; 10-22-2010 at 09:39 AM.
    MY PULL LIST
    Astro City Kick-Ass 3 Star Wars: Dark Times Superior Spider-Man

Kurt Parsons

"Sherlock Holmes: Year One" should be exactly what it sounds like: baby Sherlock - Shermy for short - learning to crawl, learning to walk, etc. He could have a plaid blanket and a Sherlock Holmes-ish beanie.

In all seriousness, I don't know that I'm interested in reading this book, but the art does look nice.

I was very surprised to see this announcement. I know John Reppion and Leah Moore are working on another Sherlock Holmes series for Dynamite as we speak. It seems odd that after the success of Moore & Reppion's initial Holmes series they would go to a different creative team for this. Maybe Moore & Reppion didn't want to mess with the Holmes canon very much, so Dynamite went elsewhere for a new "origin" story.
    My Audio Drama Blog

Decoder Ring Theatre:
    Home of the Red Panda and Black Jack Justice

Quote Originally Posted by MadMikeyD View Post
    I know John Reppion and Leah Moore are working on another Sherlock Holmes series for Dynamite as we speak. It seems odd that after the success of Moore & Reppion's initial Holmes series they would go to a different creative team for this.

Oh, that's interesting...I had no idea that Moore & Reppion were working on a follow-up. I'm definitely looking forward to that!

Quote Originally Posted by MadMikeyD View Post
    Maybe Moore & Reppion didn't want to mess with the Holmes canon very much, so Dynamite went elsewhere for a new "origin" story.

Yeah, that could be the case I suppose. Regardless of the reason though, Dynamite would've been better off waiting for Moore & Reppion or else another creative team that didn't feel the need to re-write Arthur Conan Doyle.
    MY PULL LIST

To be fair, it is possible that this piece won't contradict Doyle at all. A Study in Scarlet does cover their first meeting, but as I recall, there's a gap of several months between Watson moving in and the actual case, and of course there would be a gap afterward. This story COULD be an expansion of Study focusing on the gaps.

Quote Originally Posted by kpatrickglover View Post
    To be fair, it is possible that this piece won't contradict Doyle at all. A Study in Scarlet does cover their first meeting, but as I recall, there's a gap of several months between Watson moving in and the actual case, and of course there would be a gap afterward. This story COULD be an expansion of Study focusing on the gaps.

Theoretically you COULD be right, but I'm not confidant that you are.
    MY PULL LIST

I think I'll give this a shot and pick it up the trade.
    Last edited by Zach J.; 10-25-2010 at 01:28 PM.

There is a difference in time between Holmes & Watson moving in and the events from "A Study in Scarlet" but it's still apparent that it is the first case that Watson had anything to do with. Until then, he doesn't even know what Holmes does for a living, nor does Holmes use drugs at that time. A Sherlock Holmes: Year One should actually end about the time that Holmes meets Watson. Although, another aspect of "A Study in Scarlet" is that until then, he rarely ever ventures into the field. The cops and clients come to him for advice and he directs them towards the right direction, mostly based on his encylopedic knowledge of past crimes.