Default Hellboy binding problems?

We're trying to dig into the problem once again of bad binding and books falling apart. If you've had this problem, could you please email me at scotta(at)darkhorse(dot)com. The most helpful thing would be if you could tell me the title and the print run. Look at the bottom of page 4 of the trade paperback, and see the line of numbers right above PRINTED IN CHINA or wherever. The LOWEST number in that string is the printrun—so if it's—
    5 7 9 10 8 6 4
    —it's the fourth printing.
    Also be specific about the problem—book fell apart after multiple reads, after one read, before being read; the spine split, the cover fell off. Please write the subject line of the email as:
    Hellboy binding problems
    THANKS—
    S

Thank you, Scott!

I respect that you are taking a pro-active approach to this issue.

i'm glad you all are looking to find out about this issue. i have multiple trades from hellboy, the goon, and others that have all fallen apart during the first or second read. i will email tomorrow once i go get the book info.

I don't have the books anymore, but it was early BPRD trades and Hellboy Wierd Tales and HB regular series. Someone here was kind enough to replace them for me, might have been you. There was one in particular that Amazon replaced twice, then they pulled the listing off the site.

Most of my binding problems are fairly superficial, and do chiefly from rereading however the difference between my Marvel/DC trades and my Hellboy trades is noticeable. I reread them in a similar fashion and yet they show a lot less wear and tear for what ever reason. My biggest offenders have been Seed of Destruction and The Chained Coffin, both of which separated fully from the binding and caused me to buy replacement copies.
    It's not a huge complaint though, not big enough to cause me to stop buying the trades anyway. Keep up the great work.

Default Thanks

Thanks for writing in, and for posting here. Please note, however, I do need you to email me with specifics. The goal here is to deal with existing stock that might be problematic, and avoid future problems, which requires knowing which titles and which printings, so we can investigate with specific printers. So if it's something that happened a long time ago, and you can't check the book for the print run, it's good to know about that, but we can't do anything about it specifically, in part because that print run is probably all gone by now.
    I appreciate the constructive replies, and I'm sorry there's ever been problems with this, but the hope is we can make sure it doesn't happen again.
    So once again, please email me with specifics if possible.
    Thanks—
    S

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Allie View Post
    Thanks for writing in, and for posting here. Please note, however, I do need you to email me with specifics. The goal here is to deal with existing stock that might be problematic, and avoid future problems, which requires knowing which titles and which printings, so we can investigate with specific printers. So if it's something that happened a long time ago, and you can't check the book for the print run, it's good to know about that, but we can't do anything about it specifically, in part because that print run is probably all gone by now.
    I appreciate the constructive replies, and I'm sorry there's ever been problems with this, but the hope is we can make sure it doesn't happen again.
    So once again, please email me with specifics if possible.
    Thanks—
    S
    Thanks again for looking into it, I sent in the specifics on my copy of Seed of Destruction but left out The Chained Coffin as even my replacement copy is old so I left it out(it still has the old chess piece dark horse symbol!).

For the record I can say that all my books will be first printings (being all of them), none of which appearing troublesome in the slightest, except perhaps the Art Of Hellboy SC appearing sort of wobbly in the spine, but I put that down to the sizyness of it.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

Thumbs up

Thanks for helping out with this, Scott! Email sent!

Is it safe to buy Hellboy TPB'S used on Amazon? People in the review section seem to be complaining that it's got the shittiest binding they've ever come across.

It depends greatly on how old the book is really, some of the older trades do have binding issues but I really haven't noticied any issues with the more recent volumes from like 8 onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by tahmidk View Post
    Is it safe to buy Hellboy TPB'S used on Amazon? People in the review section seem to be complaining that it's got the shittiest binding they've ever come across.
    Yes it is *safe*, depending on Amazon's return service. Buying something with actually viewing it in hand will always prove safest. Because problems may occur regardless.

Your choice if you wanna buy from Amazon or their bargain bins. Since obviously there'll be lots of different options for buying stuff, online or not, at different prices.

Dark Horse books having shitty binding is total nonsense, because in actual fact it's excellent, eventhough there was at least one distinct occurence of bad binding due to a technical error of glue overheating in the machine.
    Which happened for particular books as produced around 2009 I think, against which Scott Allie took affirmative action as visible in this thread.

And if those particular badly produced books didn't get properly returned by retailers, it could be they end up with online sellers such as Amazon selling them anyway.

You need to realize why books get sold at discounts. A comic shop bargain-bin or discount happens to books not getting sold at normal prices,
    so discount material may prove to be B-stock material, due to potential cracks or creases, dogears, discoloration or other unfortunate flaws to them.

Also will providing proper service like a return policy apply to full-price-purchases primarily, whereas on buying at a discount the providing of service might generally become forfeited or nullified.
    This is the way a lot of prize-fighters or discounters choose to operate: selling bulk second-rate stock with providing no service whatsoever.

So again, buying at a discount or online or not will really just come down to being your choice.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 08-31-2013 at 08:16 AM.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.