Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Disney Nabs Marvel Film Rights Early

The House of Mouse has paid Paramount Pictures at least $115 million dollars to bring upcoming Marvel movies "The Avengers" and "Iron Man 3" under their distribution wing while announcing a release date for the latter sequel.

Full article here.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    The House of Mouse has paid Paramount Pictures at least $115 million dollars to bring upcoming Marvel movies "The Avengers" and "Iron Man 3" under their distribution wing while announcing a release date for the latter sequel.

Full article here.
    Maybe they bring Spidey/FF/X-Men under their wing soon (just praying)
    "Everybody's Waiting," Six Feet Under finale episode
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el4eUKmLujg

http://i.imgur.com/hcuBe43.gif

Quote Originally Posted by hugh45 View Post
    I'm content to let Spider-Man stay with Sony/Columbia for now-- my priority would be getting back any outstanding character rights, such as Sub-mariner (still at Universal?), anything still linked with LionsGate, getting Ghost Rider back from Sony/Columbia after this next film, and of course getting at least Fantastic Four and Daredevil from out of Fox's control-- the X-Men franchises seem to be continuing, at least until one of them blatantly flops (and lets hope that does not happen)..

I really think it sucks that Namor (for now?) will not be involved in the Marvel U. film slate..

Oh.. just curious.. whenever the Disney Corp. takes over distribution (and eventually production) of these films, are they going to be released under the "Disney" banner like Pirates of the Caribbean, or the "Touchstone" imprint?
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 10-18-2010 at 01:46 PM.

It really sucks that so many important Marvel characters are tied into the Spidey, X-Men and FF licenses.

LA now, NYC born & raised Ziza9's Avatar

"For Disney's part, the studio now has two proven tent-poll pictures to flesh out their incoming slate, and the company made quick work of announcing a May 3, 2013 release for "Iron Man 3" nearly one year after "The Avengers" hits theaters." I'm hoping for the best as far as Avengers go, but how is it a proven tent-pole pic when it hasn't even been filmed yet, let alone been released? Iron Man I get though.
    Child of the Bronze Age.
    My Con schedule: Wondercon, E3, SDCC

The Padre (Guy Padre) @ http://godhatesgeeks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by hugh45 View Post
    A-men to that!LOL I talked to Mr. B about it. He said unless something comes up. And i think disney is power to bring them back.
    TEAM TEEN JEAN 2013!!

*2,000,000th X-Books Forum post goes to...Yours truly Vivica Kang*

Quote Originally Posted by Vivica Kang View Post
    A-men to that!LOL I talked to Mr. B about it. He said unless something comes up. And i think disney is power to bring them back.
    Disney may get the rights to Fantastic Four but it's going to take them awhile to get the X-Men Franchise with Fox having a death grip to the series. Im witholding judgement till I see if the Spider-Man reboot performs well
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

As much as I'm not the biggest fan of what Fox has done with the X-Men, I'm not sure that Marvel/Disney is ready to take them back yet...

For one, the X-Men may as well be in a separate universe from the rest of the Marvel U, I know that in the 616 they're obviously a part of everything, but in so many ways the operate on the fringes of the bigger Marvel U. With Marvel focusing so much on the Avengers, if they got back the X-Men franchise, I don't know that they have the man power to do them justice like some other studio that may have more resources to focus on them.

Also, Folding the existing Marvel movies into the Avengers (Iron Man/Thor/Captain America/Hulk) realm that Marvel is building up might lead to some trouble, I'd rather see the Avengers get built up right, and wait for the rights to revert back to Marvel/Disney when they can get more of a spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziza9 View Post
    "For Disney's part, the studio now has two proven tent-poll pictures to flesh out their incoming slate, and the company made quick work of announcing a May 3, 2013 release for "Iron Man 3" – nearly one year after "The Avengers" hits theaters." I'm hoping for the best as far as Avengers go, but how is it a proven tent-pole pic when it hasn't even been filmed yet, let alone been released? Iron Man I get though.
    "Tent Pole" isn't a measure of performance, but of expected performance. What used to be called "blockbuster releases".

It'll be one of the big Disney films of the summer, along with likely a Pixar release, with the big ad push, toys, happy meals, etc. They'll also use it to promote their upcoming slate of stuff.

Will they be Disney or Touchstone?
    I imagine they'll be Marvel/Disney Presents, much like Pixar is Pixar/Disney. The Disney Brand doesn't need shoring up, and the Marvel Brand is too valuable in it's own right. I imagine we'll get an idea based on how Avengers:EMH is branded on Weds.

Getting FF, X-Men, etc
    I know there's this geek desire to have all the toys in one basket, but Marvel Studio...heck, even Disney as a whole, doesn't have the money or muscle to do all the series themselves. The big titles, X-men, FF, Spider-Man are pretty much going to stay where they are.
    Last edited by Scavenger; 10-18-2010 at 02:33 PM.
    Static Pulse: That's why I like you. You're like four degrees away from being a William Gibson protagonist.

What I suspect could end up happening is that eventually most things will end up reverting to Marvel/Disney as they aren't in use. Spider-man and X-men are the two likely exceptions because they are easily the biggest household names Marvel has, but I'd expect F4, Blade, Daredevil, Namor, Ghost Rider etc to revert sooner or later unless someone manages to create a sustainable franchise out of them in the nearish future.

What I'm intrigued about is where the right to some of the peripheral characters lie - it's been implied that Marvel has the rights to Cable for example, how does that work? Also, where are the rights for Wanda and Pietro - do they fall within X-men or Avengers?
    Current Ongoing Pull List

She Hulk . Ms Marvel . Daredevil . Hawkeye

I really want Disney/Marvel to regain control of Fantastic Four, Daredevil, and some other smaller ones. Obviously I'd love for them to get back Spidey and X-Men but there is literally zero chance of that happening.

Overall, I don't really mind considering things are looking pretty good for the next Spider-Man movie and X-Men: First Class.

The only downside to Spidey/X-Men/FF/etc. being licensed out, really, is the fact that they cannot be incorporated into the larger Marvel Movie Universe, as the Iron Man/Hulk/Thor/Cap films are. But since all of them (except Ghost Rider and Wolverine) are now being re-booted, it's probably better that way.
    My Audio Drama Blog

Decoder Ring Theatre:
    Home of the Red Panda and Black Jack Justice

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoVGM View Post
    I really want Disney/Marvel to regain control of Fantastic Four, Daredevil, and some other smaller ones. Obviously I'd love for them to get back Spidey and X-Men but there is literally zero chance of that happening.

Overall, I don't really mind considering things are looking pretty good for the next Spider-Man movie and X-Men: First Class.
    That is why Im kinda looking at things on a positive outlook on the Spider-Man films. So far Sony has been doing a good job in the casting and the feedback has been positive.

For now I would like to see solo movies on Avenger members outside of Thor, Captain America, and Iron Man that haven't had a movie yet. A Hawkeye movie could work
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

yeah, i agree with the crowd, Disney/Marvel should really try and get FF and DD back ~ until Spidey and the X-men stop printing money for Sony/Fox i don't see those coming back, unless Disney is set to drop some serious coin and back-end deals.

I think DD honestly has one of the best potentials to be a Marvel TV show, so i'd really like them to focus on that.

============ Just say "NO!" to $4 books. ============

I thought Daredevil was shelved by whoever has the rights until further notice?

Any more, Ghost Rider is vanity project for Nicholas Cage. Surprised he hasn't talked to Marvel.

And considering how bad X-Men 3 and XMO: Wolverine were, in addition to early word on XM: First Class and Wolverine 2, I don't have high hopes for either.

Hopefully casting a guy in his upper twenties as a teenage Peter Parker works out better though.

Quote Originally Posted by Scavenger View Post
    "Tent Pole" isn't a measure of performance, but of expected performance. What used to be called "blockbuster releases".

What? How can something be proven to expect to perform well?